u18 comp going ahead in 2009

Remove this Banner Ad

I played for Therry in the under 18s on the weekend, and Michael Kavangah did not stand out.
He has not played a game in the under 19s all year either, and has only twice been named in the under 18s best all year.
He played in the under 19's on the same day after the 18s game.

How come he wasn't on their list? According to the net, the kid has not played a game in the 19s all year

The under 19's coach and team manager who coached him last year call him david (middle name) as there is another michael kavanagh who plays seniors at the club and he has asked to be called david which the under 18's are currently changing.

Excellent game at Sportscover tonight. St Marys took it up to St Bedes and didn't give up at all. Both sides can work on skills (hey, its U18s after all) and both ran hard and played intense footy all night.

St Bedes were only ahead by 2 points with three and a half minutes to go, but scored a goal and a point in the remainder of the quarter to run out winners 8.9.57 to 7.6.48.

Very impressed with both sides.

what were the other results from this week?
i kno UHS-VU beat therry, at therrys home ground
who do you guys reckon will make finals, obviously bullants and oakleigh are a given, but other 2 spots st bedes and uhs?

First half was pretty even, bullants lead by 10 points at half time. Old camberwell kicked 1.4 to the Bullants 0.0 to level the game at 3/4 time 4.6 to 4.6 , then the bullants kicked 4 goals to old camberwell's 3 in the last quarter to run out winners by 9 points. 8.9.57 to 7.6.48.

what were the other results from this week?
i kno UHS-VU beat therry, at therrys home ground
who do you guys reckon will make finals, obviously bullants and oakleigh are a given, but other 2 spots st bedes and uhs?
Therry v UHS-VU was a ripper game, UHS-VU coming from behind with a strong last quarter. When 5 points down Therry kicked a clear behind that their goal umpire called a goal, only to be overruled by the field umpire and then there were no more scores. Also controversial in the dying moments when the ball was deep in the UHS-VU forward pocket but then the umpire overheard the UHS-VU boundary umpire telling a player to push across and paid a free for coaching. Could've been costly but the siren went moments later.

Any other teams have problems with the reasonably big bloke (#42 I think) from Therry. Few of our better players copped 'stray slaps' to the face and kicks when on the ground, notably one in the last quarter when from reports (I saw/felt a few but this last one only from what I've heard) he kicked at VU player who had been knocked unconscious in the ribs when on the ground.

Therry v UHS-VU was a ripper game, UHS-VU coming from behind with a strong last quarter. When 5 points down Therry kicked a clear behind that their goal umpire called a goal, only to be overruled by the field umpire and then there were no more scores. Also controversial in the dying moments when the ball was deep in the UHS-VU forward pocket but then the umpire overheard the UHS-VU boundary umpire telling a player to push across and paid a free for coaching. Could've been costly but the siren went moments later.

Any other teams have problems with the reasonably big bloke (#42 I think) from Therry. Few of our better players copped 'stray slaps' to the face and kicks when on the ground, notably one in the last quarter when from reports (I saw/felt a few but this last one only from what I've heard) he kicked at VU player who had been knocked unconscious in the ribs when on the ground.

That is the biggest load of garbage Ive ever heard. Yes, I agree the shot on goal was a behind. #42 did not do anything dirty or even really physical through out the match that would have been against the spirit of the game. The kicking incident in the last quarter was a disgrace, but the UHS boy was not unconscious, and it wasnt a kick, it was more of a poke/tap with the foot, as in, he didnt bring his leg back first.

That is the biggest load of garbage Ive ever heard. Yes, I agree the shot on goal was a behind. #42 did not do anything dirty or even really physical through out the match that would have been against the spirit of the game. The kicking incident in the last quarter was a disgrace, but the UHS boy was not unconscious, and it wasnt a kick, it was more of a poke/tap with the foot, as in, he didnt bring his leg back first.

Can only go on what I heard,saw and felt ... although I can accept it may have just been a few unfortunate coincidences and as I said I can't be certain as to who the Therry player involved in the last quarter incident was. The UHS kid who got kicked was one of our bests all day and he may not have been unconscious at the time but he was definitely knocked out in the preceding incident (nothing untoward in that incident) and doesn't remember any of the game before it happened.

I feel a bit sorry for the Old Camberwell boys, seem like a pretty good unit but keep getting done in the last quarter JUST ( a couple of times by 2 points and now a 9 point loss) would be good to see them climb the ladder as i think they could prove to be some good competition!

I feel a bit sorry for the Old Camberwell boys, seem like a pretty good unit but keep getting done in the last quarter JUST ( a couple of times by 2 points and now a 9 point loss) would be good to see them climb the ladder as i think they could prove to be some good competition!
Should be an interesting match next friday night camberwell v therry then. Therry have lost their last 2 games by a combined total of 12 points after leading at 3/4 time in both matches, and camberwell have had plenty of close ones as well. Lets see if it goes down to the wire.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watch out for OC. After a slow and disorganised start they are looking good. With Howard "Howie" Mitchall coaching the team, and sharpshooter matty pandalis down in the goal square the wellers should shoot up the ladder at a rapid pace.

gonna be a very good game.
any truth behind the rumour that oakleigh have pulled their under 19's team out?
how many players will be able to play 18s?

the boards gone quite?
geez boys, get the yappa up.

what the fks going on with st bedes at the moment? looks like final 4 will be oakleigh bullants uhs and bernards..

bedes have fallen over..?

Few Big games last weekend.

UHS/VU just over the line against St.Mary's. Had a couple of decent players out but (we) should have won by more. We rested a few later in the 3rd quarter when we seemed plenty up and St.Mary's put a few quick ones through and then had a real charge in the last quarter. Not the best of games to watch from the sidelines.

Did Therry have a bunch of new players in the side or Oakleigh some out? Doesn't seem that way looking on line. Like to know how Therry approached the game because it worked considering the generally accepted large gap between the 2 sides.

Bullant smashed Bernards but they've done that to everyone bar Oakleigh really. Certainly helps UHS/VU out going a game clear in 3rd now, also heats up the battle most likely between Bedes and Bernards for 4th spot.

Old Camberwell certainly wouldn't have been expected to beat St Bedes. You'd think Bedes would have had that one down as a win heading into the second half of the season.

UHS/VU just over the line against St.Mary's. Had a couple of decent players out but (we) should have won by more. We rested a few later in the 3rd quarter when we seemed plenty up and St.Mary's put a few quick ones through and then had a real charge in the last quarter. Not the best of games to watch from the sidelines.

Did Therry have a bunch of new players in the side or Oakleigh some out? Doesn't seem that way looking on line. Like to know how Therry approached the game because it worked considering the generally accepted large gap between the 2 sides.

Bullant smashed Bernards but they've done that to everyone bar Oakleigh really. Certainly helps UHS/VU out going a game clear in 3rd now, also heats up the battle most likely between Bedes and Bernards for 4th spot.

Old Camberwell certainly wouldn't have been expected to beat St Bedes. You'd think Bedes would have had that one down as a win heading into the second half of the season.
Therry don't have any new players. Oakleigh we think had 2 key players out (their big ruckman and the big ranga) but they alone don't account for 100 points which is the difference between the margins of the last 2 games between oakleigh and therry. We took it up to them in round 3 or 4 out at their ground and it was even at half time. They kicked away in the 2nd half to win by 5 goals, so we learnt our lesson from that game and when we were up at half time we were focused on replicating the effort in the 2nd half. It was clearly our best game for the season and it would've been great to have a win. But they were just too good.

Big call, but watch out Bullants in round 18........

full credit to the Therry Boys they played a great game against us on the weekend. Good to see some fight left in em this late in the season!

Don't undersell OC so quickly. An analysis of their performances have shown they lost to Bullants by 9 pts, Oakleigh by 2pts and have now soundly defeated third-placed SBMT. A combination of a decimated senior side trying to avoid relegation and regularly needing U19 players who then needed U18 players, and a shocking run with injuries have seen OC U18 struggling to field at least 18 players for weeks. Last Saturday they had 19 players. SBMT in an important game for them were simply blown away from the start to the finish by a team grateful to be back at some competitive strength.

They may still play a very important role in determining who plays in the first semi final.

As for the finals - all bar one to be played at Sportscover Arena on a Friday night. SBMT have played this ground at night 4 times for 3 wins, Oakleigh has have played twice for 2 wins, St Bernards have played twice for 2 losses, UHS-VU have played twice for 1 win/1 loss and Bullants have played once for a loss. The size of this ground and the conditions at night will definitely play a major factor in the finals. Good luck to all.

Don't undersell OC so quickly. An analysis of their performances have shown they lost to Bullants by 9 pts, Oakleigh by 2pts and have now soundly defeated third-placed SBMT. A combination of a decimated senior side trying to avoid relegation and regularly needing U19 players who then needed U18 players, and a shocking run with injuries have seen OC U18 struggling to field at least 18 players for weeks. Last Saturday they had 19 players. SBMT in an important game for them were simply blown away from the start to the finish by a team grateful to be back at some competitive strength.

They may still play a very important role in determining who plays in the first semi final.

As for the finals - all bar one to be played at Sportscover Arena on a Friday night. SBMT have played this ground at night 4 times for 3 wins, Oakleigh has have played twice for 2 wins, St Bernards have played twice for 2 losses, UHS-VU have played twice for 1 win/1 loss and Bullants have played once for a loss. The size of this ground and the conditions at night will definitely play a major factor in the finals. Good luck to all.

yeah, might have been underselling OC, just that we played them pretty depleted at the start of the year and still got over the line and then won easily a few weeks back. OC may have been depleted themselves on both occassions, we'll find out last round.

Can't really analyse the performances at Sportscover and take much from them. They had won 3 from 3 at Sportscover until they came up against us and they didn't look like they knew what they were doing for much of the night.

Interesting info at training tonight, the UHS-VU v Bullants game has been moved to Visy Park (Optus Oval) which should be an awsome experience for both teams.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back