Universal Love Vale Barry Davis

Remove this Banner Ad

Former Bombers, Kangaroos great Barry Davis dies, aged 80 - https://www.afl.com.au/news/1135645

Sad news to come out yesterday but Barry Davis passed away Wednesday.

2 time premiership player
3 time Best and Fairest
Club Captain 1970 and 1971
Voted 15th Champion of Essendon
Half Back Flank in our TOC
Coach of the club for 3 seasons
Runner up in the 1969 Brownlow by 1 vote. (Robbed according to my Grandfather)

Also won the North B&F, captained their first flag and made it on the pine in their TOC.

A thoroughly gifted football man and as red and black as they come. Had the pleasure of meeting him a couple of times and he always had plenty of stories to tell.

Vale to an Essendon (and North) champion.

Hey all, I knew Barry outside of football so wanted to share some memories of someone who was a great man.

Barry in his later years loved to play and watch tennis. He was always around local tennis clubs in the Essendon area and always up for a chat. He was always generous with his time as well. From what he said, he always seemed to call into the club and they treated him as a former great very well. He loved Essendon and they loved him back.

One of the stories I remember was one of his trips representing Victoria against SA in State of Origin. He had always heard stories of what Tommy Haffey was like as a coach and was told to try and avoid him where possible. As it turns out on this particular trip, he was late so when he finally got on the coach the only seat left was next to Tommy. He recalled how scared he was when Tommy didn’t say a word the first half of the trip. After what seemed like an eternity in true Barry style he was the 1st to say something and much to Barry’s delight Tommy answered and actually talked to him the rest of the way. Barry recalls how happy was that he had broken down Tommy Haffey. After they arrived and checked in to the hotel they went for a training run. Tommy addressed the team and they set off on a light job. Just as they were about to set off Tommy told Barry to wait. He then proceeded to make Barry do sprints because he was late :D. So he never really did break down Tommy. He represented Victoria 11 times I think with Tommy his coach multiple times. Barry was never late again :D.

In true Barry style he did also say one day with a cheeky grin that he made Sheeds as coach. Without him setting up Essendon for success, Sheeds would never have been the coach that he turned out to be :D.

Vale Barry, you were a great man and very sad to hear of your passing last night.

Tigs

I used to ask my dad about him & he reckons Barry Davis was neck & neck with Tim Watson as a player.
He was also renowned as having a very 'teaching' coaching style, and Sheedy used to say that he handed him a just-about ready to go list, in terms of talent - all they needed was a top up of some hard asses & one or two guns.
Then....84 & 85 happened.
RIP.

A little known fact about Barry below - he found a bone linked to some murders going back 40 odd years.

A CRANBOURNE woman is pleading for public help to solve the Tynong North murders 35 years after the discovery of three bodies dumped in bushland.

Cheryl Goldsworthy was best friends with Catherine Headland, 14, whose skeletal remains were found along with those of two other victims — Ann-Marie Sargent, 18, and Bertha Miller, 75 — at a secluded bush track off Brew Rd on December 6, 1980.

The gruesome discovery was made by three men who were dumping lamb innards at an old sand quarry.

Last month marked a traumatic anniversary for the pair, who met when they were in primary school in Berwick and walked to high school together most days.

Ms Goldsworthy, 48, said the murderer — who could be one of Victoria’s worst serial killers — might still be living out their days and she wants closure and justice served.

“Someone knows something,” she said.

About two years later on February 3, 1983, more human remains were found in Tynong North scrubland. A punctured trailer tyre led two men to pull in to an area opposite a truck stop on the Princes Highway.

One of the men, former VFL champion Barry Davis, got out to stretch his legs. He spotted a bone sticking out of the scrubland around 50m from the busy road and decided to take it to the Warragul Police Station.

The bone was sent to the Melbourne Coroners’ Court where it was confirmed to be human.
A search of the area unearthed the bones from a badly decomposed body. The bones were 34-year-old mother-of-two Narumol Stephenson. She disappeared on November 30, 1980, from Brunswick.

The murders and those of two other women Allison Rooke and Joy Summers in Frankston in the early ‘80s, remain unsolved and are known as the Tynong North and Frankston killings.

Allison Rooke, 59, disappeared on May 30, 1980. She had told neighbours she was taking a bus to Frankston Shopping Centre. The buses travelled along the Frankston-Dandenong Rd, which is where Mrs Rooke was waiting.

On July 5, five weeks later, a man walking his dogs found Mrs Rooke’s naked body in a shallow grave, partially hidden by scrubland, on McClelland Drive in Frankston.

On October, 9, 1981, Joy Summers, 55, was waiting for a bus on Frankston-Dandenong Rd when she too vanished. It was the same stretch of road where Allison Rooke had been waiting when she met her fate. Ms Summers naked body was found in Skye Rd scrubland six weeks later.

After exhaustive efforts police had named a Frankston North man who had knowledge of the bushland area as a prime suspect but he was never charged.

Victoria Police spokeswoman Sergeant Sharon Darcy said a review of all cold-case homicides was going ahead and police could not respond to media inquiries on the Tynong North murders.

“If anyone knows anything, it is time to say so,” — Cheryl Goldsworthy

Ms Goldsworthy said she thought of Catherine’s family often. “This is something you can never get over,” she said. “I have seen the family over the years and introduced my girls but I’ve always thought it must be so hard for them to see me all grown up with children of my own.”

Ms Goldsworthy said Catherine’s disappearance and murder changed her life for ever. “We always thought we were safe. I no longer felt safe.”

A mother of two daughters, Ms Goldsworthy said her children missed out on the freedom she had as a teen because she was too scared to let them go anywhere by themselves.

“I think the biggest impact of Catherine’s murder was how it affected me with raising my girls,” Ms Goldsworthy said.

“That is why they weren’t allowed to catch public transport anywhere, that is why they weren’t allowed out with their friends. They weren’t allowed go anywhere without an adult basically.”

Ms Goldsworthy, who lives in Cranbourne, said she still held hope that the murders could be solved.

he said Catherine’s death had been especially hard for John McManus, whose life had been haunted by “what ifs”.

Unwell on the day Catherine vanished, he waved goodbye to her as she walked to the bus stop to get to her part-time supermarket job at Fountain Gate Shopping Centre.

The constant thoughts of “If only someone had been with her” have plagued the friends.

Mr McManus said he would always miss Catherine.

“It is hard and still no justice or closure,” he said. “I still think about her each day. Someone knows who did it.”

There is a memorial to Catherine at Akoonah Park, a place the friends from Berwick High School would often gather to talk and listen to music.

“The memorial is a place we can all go to feel close to Catherine in the surroundings we all loved,” Ms Goldsworthy said.

I Remember Bluey do you remember Barry?

Yep, the thing I remember most about him was that he was a magnificent exponent of the drop kick. He once lost a World of Sport kicking competition with a drop kick of 74+ yards.

Recommend having a read of the thread over on BB, it goes into great detail on his career and why he left to go to North.

ps: what are you laughing at DERO :moustache:

1716596698773.jpeg

A little known fact about Barry below - he found a bone linked to some murders going back 40 odd years.

A CRANBOURNE woman is pleading for public help to solve the Tynong North murders 35 years after the discovery of three bodies dumped in bushland.

Cheryl Goldsworthy was best friends with Catherine Headland, 14, whose skeletal remains were found along with those of two other victims — Ann-Marie Sargent, 18, and Bertha Miller, 75 — at a secluded bush track off Brew Rd on December 6, 1980.

The gruesome discovery was made by three men who were dumping lamb innards at an old sand quarry.

Last month marked a traumatic anniversary for the pair, who met when they were in primary school in Berwick and walked to high school together most days.

Ms Goldsworthy, 48, said the murderer — who could be one of Victoria’s worst serial killers — might still be living out their days and she wants closure and justice served.

About two years later on February 3, 1983, more human remains were found in Tynong North scrubland. A punctured trailer tyre led two men to pull in to an area opposite a truck stop on the Princes Highway.

One of the men, former VFL champion Barry Davis, got out to stretch his legs. He spotted a bone sticking out of the scrubland around 50m from the busy road and decided to take it to the Warragul Police Station.

The bone was sent to the Melbourne Coroners’ Court where it was confirmed to be human.
A search of the area unearthed the bones from a badly decomposed body. The bones were 34-year-old mother-of-two Narumol Stephenson. She disappeared on November 30, 1980, from Brunswick.

The murders and those of two other women Allison Rooke and Joy Summers in Frankston in the early ‘80s, remain unsolved and are known as the Tynong North and Frankston killings.

Allison Rooke, 59, disappeared on May 30, 1980. She had told neighbours she was taking a bus to Frankston Shopping Centre. The buses travelled along the Frankston-Dandenong Rd, which is where Mrs Rooke was waiting.

On July 5, five weeks later, a man walking his dogs found Mrs Rooke’s naked body in a shallow grave, partially hidden by scrubland, on McClelland Drive in Frankston.

On October, 9, 1981, Joy Summers, 55, was waiting for a bus on Frankston-Dandenong Rd when she too vanished. It was the same stretch of road where Allison Rooke had been waiting when she met her fate. Ms Summers naked body was found in Skye Rd scrubland six weeks later.

After exhaustive efforts police had named a Frankston North man who had knowledge of the bushland area as a prime suspect but he was never charged.

Victoria Police spokeswoman Sergeant Sharon Darcy said a review of all cold-case homicides was going ahead and police could not respond to media inquiries on the Tynong North murders.

Ms Goldsworthy said she thought of Catherine’s family often. “This is something you can never get over,” she said. “I have seen the family over the years and introduced my girls but I’ve always thought it must be so hard for them to see me all grown up with children of my own.”

Ms Goldsworthy said Catherine’s disappearance and murder changed her life for ever. “We always thought we were safe. I no longer felt safe.”

A mother of two daughters, Ms Goldsworthy said her children missed out on the freedom she had as a teen because she was too scared to let them go anywhere by themselves.

“I think the biggest impact of Catherine’s murder was how it affected me with raising my girls,” Ms Goldsworthy said.

“That is why they weren’t allowed to catch public transport anywhere, that is why they weren’t allowed out with their friends. They weren’t allowed go anywhere without an adult basically.”

Ms Goldsworthy, who lives in Cranbourne, said she still held hope that the murders could be solved.

he said Catherine’s death had been especially hard for John McManus, whose life had been haunted by “what ifs”.

Unwell on the day Catherine vanished, he waved goodbye to her as she walked to the bus stop to get to her part-time supermarket job at Fountain Gate Shopping Centre.

The constant thoughts of “If only someone had been with her” have plagued the friends.

“It is hard and still no justice or closure,” he said. “I still think about her each day. Someone knows who did it.”

There is a memorial to Catherine at Akoonah Park, a place the friends from Berwick High School would often gather to talk and listen to music.

“The memorial is a place we can all go to feel close to Catherine in the surroundings we all loved,” Ms Goldsworthy said.

Completely off topic but reading this sent me down a 1hr google rabbit hole.
I'd assume that Bandali Debs is the prime suspect in this. So eerie to think this serial killer is still out there.

hmmm.... If I was investigating those murders, I'd probably start by looking at the three men who were dumping lamb innards at an old sand quarry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back