Analysis Vanilla

Remove this Banner Ad

What makes a player vanilla?

A player that can complement others by reducing on-field risk. The glue that holds a team together and make the team competitive. Vanilla players can be average to very very good players.

A defensive midfielder - an accumulator that runs both ways but doesn't hurt they opposition - they enable other players to hurt the opposition.
A defender that spoils or tackles and won't lose a one on one contest. The lock down defender that allows others to intercept and rebound.
A forward who keeps the ball inside 50 and creates opportunities for others.
I'd also put in the all rounder, jack of all trades master of none type.

Libba and Macrae are not vanilla in my opinion.
Libba is a tough contested mid with sublime footskills, a creative footy brain and excellent hands.

Macrae is a 192cm inside-outside midfielder who runs both ways and rarely loses a contest.

A defender that spoils or tackles and won't lose a one on one contest. The lock down defender that allows others to intercept and rebound.

I agree with your initial premise, especially the idea that in the spirit of team 'equalisation' we've beaten the individual flair out of a lot of talented players (unnecessarily so, IMO). But...did you just call Dale Morris vanilla??

I agree with your initial premise, especially the idea that in the spirit of team 'equalisation' we've beaten the individual flair out of a lot of talented players (unnecessarily so, IMO). But...did you just call Dale Morris vanilla??

I did. I'm not saying vanilla is a bad player. Morris and Macrae are vanilla in my eyes but they are still gun players. I'm grouping by the type of players they are rather than how good they are. Vanilla is just as important as the others.

Libba and Macrae are not vanilla in my opinion.
Libba is a tough contested mid with sublime footskills, a creative footy brain and excellent hands.

Macrae is a 192cm inside-outside midfielder who runs both ways and rarely loses a contest.
\

Yes they absolutely are that, and they are vanilla in my mind as they allow others to take risks and have some flair or be offensive. Because players like Libba and Macrae will always ensure we aren't spanked when risks don't pay off.
Additionally, which is probably more of an argument, i don't think Libba and Macrae playing their very best every week equals us being top 4. Where as if Bont, JJ and Wood play their best, the impact is far greater.

\

Yes they absolutely are that, and they are vanilla in my mind as they allow others to take risks and have some flair or be offensive. Because players like Libba and Macrae will always ensure we aren't spanked when risks don't pay off.
Additionally, which is probably more of an argument, i don't think Libba and Macrae playing their very best every week equals us being top 4. Where as if Bont, JJ and Wood play their best, the impact is far greater.
Couldn't disagree more with what you wrote. Especially on Libba. One of the best attacking kicks in our side.

Last edited:
Couldn't disagree more with what you wrote. Especially on Libba. One of the best attacking kicks in our side.
all good, i certainly can understand that view. His kicking has penetration (especially for a small bloke) unlike most others in our team

Macrae won us a Prelim.

‘Vanilla’ because he doesn’t break tackles or score many goals. He wins the ball and gives it to a Dog. He’s the glue that will always be undervalued.

yeah mate, that is exactly what i'm saying. But will he consistently win you games?

yeah mate, that is exactly what i'm saying. But will he consistently win you games?
Well I guess that depends on who you think ‘wins’ a game. Is it the bloke who kicks the winning goal? Is it the guy who keeps the ball in Dog hands?

I largely agree with you and clearly you value Macrae. I think I just dislike the terminology. Vanilla is delicious in the right context.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back