Player Watch Ned McHenry

Remove this Banner Ad

Gallucci looks like a gun in his draft video as well. Doesn't mean anything if they don't take the next step.

My conspiracy on these kids is that they're hesitant to go in case they get in the way of a senior player. I don't know if it would be active coaching or a vibe they get from coaches/players, but there seems to be a lot of running to contests and not trying to get the ball. Wouldn't be surprised to find out that we have identified getters and these training wheel mids are not those.

Not sure Mchenry has dominated SANFL consistently. Regardless both start in the SANFL for me in positions they will play in the AFL.

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Totally agree - Jones in particular has been gifted plenty of games. Both need to be made to earn there spot. It worries me a bit that we could turn them into Carlton or Melbourne high picks where they get thrown in too much too early and then never develop properly

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Haha

Reminds me of that Arnie and Danny De Vto movie "Twins"..

931cc110e0a29ec2cb0d843f057b4cb6.jpg

Just quietly, the “disastrous” 2018 superdraft haul isn’t looking too bad, if you just forget what picks everyone taken at.

If McHenry can develop into a genuine first teamer, and with Hamill and Sholl also showing they are likely to make it, that’s a good outcome.

Who knows what will happen with Jones though.

I saw he had just the one CBA, but he actually won the centre clearance on that occasion. Will be handy if guys like him and Murphy can pinch hit in there.

Just quietly, the “disastrous” 2018 superdraft haul isn’t looking too bad, if you just forget what picks everyone taken at.

If McHenry can develop into a genuine first teamer, and with Hamill and Sholl also showing they are likely to make it, that’s a good outcome.

I think the issue is more underperformance of our first round picks in general across recent years, including 2018. I think overall we tend to do pretty well with our later / rookie picks.

I haven't written Jones off yet, but if we assume for the sake of this conversation that he's not going to live up to his draft position, it remains a disastrous pick even if the overall draft isn't a disaster. We could still have McHenry, Hamill and Sholl AND we could have had a Caldwell or Butters etc with the Jones pick. It's partly balanced out by picking up Hately for nothing last year (assuming he comes good at some point, anyway), but again there's no reason why that couldn't have been in ADDITION to that player, not instead of.

With the exception of Doedee, every single one of our first round picks from 2015 onwards has been, if not disastrous, at least underwhelming. I'll exclude McAsey, Thilthorpe and Pedlar from that for now since there's not enough evidence to judge them on yet.

I think the issue is more underperformance of our first round picks in general across recent years, including 2018. I think overall we tend to do pretty well with our later / rookie picks.

I haven't written Jones off yet, but if we assume for the sake of this conversation that he's not going to live up to his draft position, it remains a disastrous pick even if the overall draft isn't a disaster. We could still have McHenry, Hamill and Sholl AND we could have had a Caldwell or Butters etc with the Jones pick. It's partly balanced out by picking up Hately for nothing last year (assuming he comes good at some point, anyway), but again there's no reason why that couldn't have been in ADDITION to that player, not instead of.

With the exception of Doedee, every single one of our first round picks from 2015 onwards has been, if not disastrous, at least underwhelming. I'll exclude McAsey, Thilthorpe and Pedlar from that for now since there's not enough evidence to judge them on yet.
Yep..We do now have Hately to add in..not that we used a pick on him but he was from that draft and is with us now. Hopefully he can overcome his slow start with us and become a key midfielder going forward

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not surprised by his game. He’s been building all pre season.

His 2020 and 2021 is night and day so far
Grenville Dietrich said last year on Facebook that Ned was the worst AFL player he'd ever seen. I was meaning to ask him if he had changed his mind on him yet.

It's kinda fascinating how backwards that draft is becoming for us. The pick 64 looks like he is well on his way to superstardom. The pick 15 and 22 look like they should end up as solid AFL players and the pick 9 the "should be happy he even managed to make it on a list" spud (I still have hope in Chayce, but oh boy, has he struggled).

Makes you wonder how cooked did we get the development side of things. Is it just the pick 64 was afforded time to develop away from the spotlight, where the pick 9 was consumed by it, before he was ready?

Nice rant

Hang on guys yes Ned finally did a couple of things and has massive intensity like hundreds of those playing parklands footy, but yet to show he is anything that screams more than average AFL player, not that classy change the game player you hope for with a 1st round pick.

Grenville Dietrich said last year on Facebook that Ned was the worst AFL player he'd ever seen. I was meaning to ask him if he had changed his mind on him yet.

That's a stretch

From a Crows perspective I think John Meesen is the worst I've ever seen by a country mile to have played a game for us, Ned has already shown 10x more than that.

Hang on guys yes Ned finally did a couple of things and has massive intensity like hundreds of those playing parklands footy, but yet to show he is anything that screams more than average AFL player, not that classy change the game player you hope for with a 1st round pick.

It is worth noting Ned is a back end of the 1st round pick (seeing we took him at pick 16), not early. So the expectation does lower a tad. Still I'm encouraged with this performance because there is a very important player in our future (whilst Nick's is here at any rate) hidden away in Ned. As much as he might never become a superstar (and I don't think that's his ceiling).

I look forward to when we have a midfield with Ned, Berry, Pedlar, Hately and Schoenberg as a part of the rotations. That's going to be a brutal midfield to face when they all peak, and providing all goes to plan.

I was actually impressed with what I saw from Ned in the Port trial.

He got plenty of the ball in the 2nd half and while his disposal wasn't the best, it was still good to see him in the action as much as he was.

I was almost ready to write him off, but I've seen something so far this year hopefully he can build on that and become a decent player for us.

Last edited:
He got one goal from an out on the full, and the other from a high tackle in front of goal of I remember correctly.

He runs around alot, but doesn't create any play, and doesn't have any weapons. He is small, and if you are small, you better either kick alot of goals, or get a heap of the ball.

The Crows even said he ran around like a headless chook on their FB page, and that's the problem.

He got one goal from an out on the full, and the other from a high tackle in front of goal of I remember correctly.

He runs around alot, but doesn't create any play, and doesn't have any weapons. He is small, and if you are small, you better either kick alot of goals, or get a heap of the ball.

The Crows even said he ran around like a headless chook on their FB page, and that's the problem.
Sorry, you need this thread
www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/things-you-were-wrong-about

Ned's role at the moment, along with Murph is to apply the heat on opposition D50 exits to help us up field to get repeat F50 entries. His actions are infectious and he made others join in.

That, to me, is worth more than 30 meaningless midfield touches.

He keeps bringing the heat, then everything else will fall into place with experience.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back