Player Watch Edward Allan

Remove this Banner Ad

On Allan - looks okay from the highlights, but looks better when viewed in relation to the testing (in particular height and speed). Which is a worry, because it suggests that he doesn't really use either.

I'd love to see him develop to make use of his speed, and he looks like he might do well to sharpen his kicking up a little bit (from the highlights obvioulsy). Not dissimilar to Reef to be honest
Was coming back from a back injury, so was gaining touch, and confidence in his body again. The combine was obviously later, when he had regained a bit more pace and looked like a steam train. He still looks to have a bit of untapped mongrel in The clips imo. And I don’t mind that he hasn’t learned to use all his tools in U18. He will do soon enough, and then could go bang… #upside

Also Worth looking at other tall mids in U18 like Fyfe and Bont and Goodes. They also look like young giraffes with the intensity that we’ve grown to see as AFL players not fully developed / utilised / realised yet. Add shyness / confidence that soon develops. Fyfe looks a completely diff person at age 18. Awkward, shy, skinny… but with an inner confidence

Flipside is Jack Watts, who ran a 2.84 20m from memory, and had the height and runs on the Board, but never progressed much.

Last edited:
I like the look of this lad. I am pleased that the recruiting team looked a little further west and recruited someone other than the obligatory 188cm rangy left-footed flanker from South Australia! A big bodied mid that has some pace is a welcome inclusion!

I like the look of this lad. I am pleased that the recruiting team looked a little further west and recruited someone other than the obligatory 188cm rangy left-footed flanker from South Australia! A big bodied mid that has some pace is a welcome inclusion!
Saved that for our second pick....

Ed's back injury appears to have been a consequence of him growing so much in 2 years.
And things like contested marking wouldn't have been on his radar at 174cm (unless your name is Jarryd Blair), but at 194cm it's something he'll have to grow into, along with his "new" body.
Given that he didn't play much this year, what he showed in the latter stages of the season for Claremont is very encouraging

He is the first player I have seen been labelled both a slider and a bolter
Apparently he ‘over bolted’ then had to slide to get to us.
If, he had ‘under bolted’ pre draft, he would have continued bolting on draft night to reach pick 19.
He was obviously an out of control bolter.

Yes he seems to play within himself and only use his speed at need.
He's probably still adjusting to his size & gaining confidence after his injury, but that burst of speed will certainly be great when he chooses to use it.

With him not over using his speed and height on those vids is why he slipped to us. There’s a huge upside in this kid.
Maybe there is a reason he didn't use them in games. Maybe he can't. Or do you think he deliberately held back under instructions from our recruiters? First game next year, he will switch on the after-burners and become a different player, rocketing almost immediately into the AFL midfield and not leaving it, not even for injury, for 350 games in a long career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it possible we drafted the key forward everyone was after and we just don't know it yet?

I know he's not projecting as one at this stage and probably never will but given the late and large growth spurt do we truly even know what he might be capable of once he stops growing and fills out? Does he?

Edward Allan 194cm 83kg

Matthew Jefferson 195cm 84kg

So if Mr. Ed has grown 20cms in limited time, which to some extent appears perhaps franked by the development of back stress fractures… can our resident sizeologist [mention]Gone Critical [/mention] please comment on the likelihood of further growth?

Is he a chance to get to 198cm + and become a realistic KP possibility instead of a utility?
Nah, he grew late but he is done. 18 and 6 months now. Images of him playing footy this year is an adult body. Hard to get cms when you can grow a dirty tash.

Ed-Allan-Jonathan-DiMaggio-AFL.png

Is it possible we drafted the key forward everyone was after and we just don't know it yet?

I know he's not projecting as one at this stage and probably never will but given the late and large growth spurt do we truly even know what he might be capable of once he stops growing and fills out? Does he?

Edward Allan 194cm 83kg

Imo Jefferson has natural forward craft, which Ed is yet to show. & His strengths include possession in traffic, so still think he is more of a Bont / Mundy type player. Ie get him in the guts

Edward Allan 194cm 83kg

Not a pack marker apparently, well yet. New to this tall body.

Exciting selection - to come back from stress fractures in the back and then dominate is a fair effort.

Sounds like he certainly won't be rushed. Maybe plays two years of vfl?

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
Dont agree. Kids selected top 20 almost always play 1st season. The ones that dont are usually recoveing from injury, tall KPFs or else one of the top 20 that turn into a bust. Looked up the last 5 drafts and these are the numbers who played season 1

2022 17/20
2021 18/20
2020 18/20
2019 15/20
2018 18/20

Even the covid years didnt stop these kids so why would Allen not expect and hope to play early. It correlates strongly with good careers, especially for non KP/rucks. We should expect him to debut in 23 and hopefully play a good few games then play most or all games in 24. I am confident thats the path he will take, really like the look of him.

So if Mr. Ed has grown 20cms in limited time, which to some extent appears perhaps franked by the development of back stress fractures… can our resident sizeologist [mention]Gone Critical [/mention] please comment on the likelihood of further growth?

Is he a chance to get to 198cm + and become a realistic KP possibility instead of a utility?

Imo 194cm is still fine for a KPF with athletic ability.
Curnow is doing it at 193cm, quick, long reach, big leap and mobile.

I'm just not sure Allen plays like a KPF in any case. That would be the harder transition.

Imo Jefferson has natural forward craft, which Ed is yet to show. & His strengths include possession in traffic, so still think he is more of a Bont / Mundy type player. Ie get him in the guts
Judd was nothing special with his marking. Always had issues with his shoulders and couldn't lift his arms up high.
Get the ball and run.. This is what we want from Ed.

It’s a good pick, but how good, l will wait till the first game he plays to read how he won’t make it
So then l will know he will be a star

Remove this Banner Ad

Back