Player Watch Welcome to Collingwood, Muireann Atkinson

Remove this Banner Ad

COLLINGWOOD is set to sign Irishwoman Muireann Atkinson as a cross-sport rookie.

The 26-year-old Gaelic footballer, who is captain of Monaghan, is no stranger to AFLW having been a train-on at Sydney in 2023, lining up for a few scrimmages with unselected players.

Standing at 174cm, Atkinson is an athletic and aggressive player who relishes the contact side of the game.

She can kick on both sides, and has a neat sidestep when evading traffic.

Atkinson previously linked up with new Collingwood teammates Sarah Rowe and Aishling Sheridan (along with Geelong's Aishling Moloney) at Dublin City University, living and playing football together.

She wanted to be drafted ...and then she is rookied out of the blue? I think that i can understand that she's from overseas and we can sign anyone like that to a rookie contract, but did she give up the idea of being drafted? I suppose it doesnt matter that much.

She wanted to be drafted ...and then she is rookied out of the blue? I think that i can understand that she's from overseas and we can sign anyone like that to a rookie contract, but did she give up the idea of being drafted? I suppose it doesnt matter that much.

Signing as a Cat B rookie gives her more certainty on which club she ends up at and circumvents the angst of the draft. Good for us as well as it means she doesn’t occupy a list spot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back