Western ( Whitten) oval goals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Graeme Cook

Debutant
May 15, 2022
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Who has kicked the most goals at Whitten oval, Grant or Beasley maybe Templeton.
I don’t know the answer any ideas.

If you'd tried to tell me that Kelvin Templeton's 15 goals in 1978 against the Saints was NOT the most number of goals ever kicked in a single VFL/AFL game at the Western/Whitten Oval ... I would NOT have believed you.

But it's true. :(

I love these random facts. Does Templeton’s 15.9 beat Lockett’s 16? I don’t know how many behinds Lockett got that day. Poor old Fitzroy they were a shell of their former selves by the time they were playing at the Whitten Oval. I would have liked to see them play a game there, but was living interstate during those years.

I love these random facts. Does Templeton’s 15.9 beat Lockett’s 16? I don’t know how many behinds Lockett got that day. Poor old Fitzroy they were a shell of their former selves by the time they were playing at the Whitten Oval. I would have liked to see them play a game there, but was living interstate during those years.

16 straight, so Kelvin wins 🤪

If you'd tried to tell me that Kelvin Templeton's 15 goals in 1978 against the Saints was NOT the most number of goals ever kicked in a single VFL/AFL game at the Western/Whitten Oval ... I would NOT have believed you.

But it's true. :(

I was there! I remember a big haul, but I didn't recall the exact tally.

Templeton still holds the record for most scoring shots in a game (24).
From memory he had 7.8 or 8.7 at 3/4 time - and he missed a few sitters early that he would normally bang through. If he'd kicked straight all day, Fred Fanning would have been relegated to a footnote on Templeton's Wikipedia page.
(Funnily enough, Fanning kicked 18 in his last VFL game - at the age of 25, and moved to Hamilton, who were offering a massive pay increase and a job locally! He went into the last round of 1947 with 79 goals, kicked 18 to go to 97, won the goalkicking, and kissed goodbye to VFL.)

Edit: also Fanning kicked 10 in his second last game. At Western Oval against us. Most of them in a last quarter pile on.

Templeton still holds the record for most scoring shots in a game (24).
From memory he had 7.8 or 8.7 at 3/4 time - and he missed a few sitters early that he would normally bang through. If he'd kicked straight all day, Fred Fanning would have been relegated to a footnote on Templeton's Wikipedia page.
(Funnily enough, Fanning kicked 18 in his last VFL game - at the age of 25, and moved to Hamilton, who were offering a massive pay increase and a job locally! He went into the last round of 1947 with 79 goals, kicked 18 to go to 97, won the goalkicking, and kissed goodbye to VFL.)

Edit: also Fanning kicked 10 in his second last game. At Western Oval against us. Most of them in a last quarter pile on.
How did he go at Hamilton?

Thanks the answers are Templeton 225 goals
Beasley 219 Collins 193 Morrison 188
Whitten 177.

Thanks the answers are Templeton 225 goals
Beasley 219 Collins 193 Morrison 188
Whitten 177.

Grant with 115 was right on track before we moved away.

One other point to underline Ted Whittens greatness. I know they were not called Charles Sutton Medals at the time, but Ted Whitten has won more CSMs than Ron Barassi, Leigh Matthews and Wayne Carey combined.
FACT

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How did he go at Hamilton?
He led them to flags in 48, 50 and 51.

But if you read the
"The drama that led to the rivalry" section on the club's Wikipedia page:

Fanning's appointment split the club, with Hamilton Imps being formed out of the drama. Clubs became bitter (at times very bitter) rivals for decades - until 2012 when they merged back again!

Original club had Collingwood colours, Imps adopted Bulldog and Footscray colours. Merged club from 2012 now use North colours.

All because Fanning had married a local, and then offered big money to leave VFL.

He led them to flags in 48, 50 and 51.

But if you read the
"The drama that led to the rivalry" section on the club's Wikipedia page:

Fanning's appointment split the club, with Hamilton Imps being formed out of the drama. Clubs became bitter (at times very bitter) rivals for decades - until 2012 when they merged back again!

Original club had Collingwood colours, Imps adopted Bulldog and Footscray colours. Merged club from 2012 now use North colours.

All because Fanning had married a local, and then offered big money to leave VFL.
And interestingly, Billy Picken coached Hamilton back in the day and a certain son, Liam, played in a Western Border senior premiership before his VFL days. Few connections between here and the club.

Who has kicked the most goals at Whitten oval, Grant or Beasley maybe Templeton.
I don’t know the answer any ideas.

V/AFL - Most Games
155 - T. Whitten Snr

V/AFL - Most Goals
225 - K. Templeton

AFLW - Most Games
21 - E. Blackburn

AFLW - Most Goals
16 - B. Toogood

Templeton's 24 shots at goal is the most ever recorded for a V/AFL match at any ground, coincidently Brooke Lochland's 10 shots at goal (7.3) in R4 2018 is also the most shots at goal on record for any AFLW match. So the Western/Whitten Oval holds both the V/AFL and AFLW records for most shots at goal in a match.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back