What are you listening to now - No. 8 🎵🎻🎶🎼🎸

Remove this Banner Ad

I have in my head a concept I like to call the Dan Sultan to White Stripes Music OCD scale.

At one end, you've got the White Stripes, who feel when you're listening to their music that it's on the edge of falling completely out of their control. It could be completely calculated, and every note could fall precisely where it's meant to precisely, but it's about how it feels. There's a chaotic energy to it that keeps you listening, on the edge of feeling as though they're about to set up.

Dan Sultan is the complete opposite kind of a thing from within more or less the same genre. I leave his music feeling flat, bored, completely underwhelmed, because it feels as though it's written by rote; that note must fall here, because I say it does and in order to write a pop song that's where it should go. It isn't even about following musical conventions, because Sultan is - in his own way - unconventional and so are the White Stripes; it's about how it feels as one listens to it, and how the music kind of flows around you.

Dreamtheater are more Sultan than White Stripes, but in that song it's got a good flow to it, and when it flicks to the choruses with that run from the guitar, I ride it giggling all the way.
Dan Sultan's album "Blackbird" is one of the great Australian albums. He is even better live!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Band that looked like they would challenge the Beatles!!!
Dave Clark 5 and they did for a time.

Glad All Over

Bits and Pieces

Do You Love Me

Catch Us If You Can

And proof that Dave Clark was actually a Klingon.

I don't know why, but I'm just reminded of this every time I hear Dave Clark 5.

One of my favourite tracks/clips.
Can watch this many times over as the music conveys one story that syncs up so perfectly to another and in the Flaming Lips words;
'Do you realize.....that everyone you know.....someday.......will die'.

Such a smooth and perennial track, beautifully executed.

10cc - I'm Not In Love
18,000 overdubs to get the choir.

Watch this. I just watched it again a few days ago.
There are a few channels go into detail about how songs came about and they're often more interesting than the track, itself.
This mini-doco is a beauty though and tells you all you need to know.

There will never be anyone likes these guys for me.
Always crave for new ideas, but always come back to them. My comfort blanket :)

Their fans get it and put together videos for the band, who've ever only released a couple.

Watch this. I just watched it again a few days ago.
There are a few channels go into detail about how songs came about and they're often more interesting than the track, itself.
This mini-doco is a beauty though and tells you all you need to know.

Their fans get it and put together videos for the band, who've ever only released a couple.

I've already seen it. You are right many of the shows on how songs and albums are made are really interesting and reveal lots of things you have no idea about. Great insights on their thinking and their processes.
My favourite is Steely Dan's, Aja. I love the description by Chuck Rainey at 12:50 about the instructions he was given on how to play bass and what he did. I also like how they pull up different guitar tracks and compared them and how they can pull out and isolate different instruments on different tracks.

And yes I have most of Boards of Canada's albums. Been some time since their last album though. Waiting for it and another Scot with a very Scottish sounding name Paolo Nutini, whose last album "Caustic Love" was in 2014.

Last edited:

Have you listened to any of Tycho's albums. It's really just one guy, Scott Hansen.
This is "Hours" from his 2011 album, Dive.

and Daydream live from the same album.

Last edited:
Have you listened to any of Tycho's albums. It's really just one guy, Scott Hansen.
This is "Hours" from his 2011 album, Dive.

and Daydream live from the same album.

Could never get into Tycho....not even the 'popular' Dive
Listened to it, but couldn't wait to flip it back to BOC. Just something lacking for me.
He's still producing albums, but I'm not keen. Feel similarly about Bonobo.

Still like William Basinski though. New album out - Lamentations.
I like Tim Hecker, Nicolaas Jaar (saw him as Darkside), Plaid is always interesting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back