What are you listening to now - No. 8 🎵🎻🎶🎼🎸

Remove this Banner Ad

In that conversation about music and rawness and almost falling apart and soul and meaning and musicianship and a dozen other aspects this is a seminal moment. Possiby the moment.

Gethelred you are so spot on about Pink Floyd and there are pages and pages or hours and hours we could talk about it in a philosophic and extratemporal sense.

And what HARKER says about appreciation. That is a defining word for me. It isn't about what one likes or doesn't like. It is about understanding the sum total of what makes a recording beyond the actual sound and and recieving aha moments that may not even be about a recording at all yet the recording brings it forth. It is about enjoying the craft and knowing what skills made it. It is about a host of things that can happen when we listen to any piece of music ever made. Life is too short to reach the summit on this journey.

This recording was a breaking of convention (one of their many) and was hard to grasp when it came out. Historically its still got that same effect on the brain plus added cultural and musicological layers.

In that conversation about music and rawness and almost falling apart and soul and meaning and musicianship and a dozen other aspects this is a seminal moment. Possiby the moment.

Gethelred you are so spot on about Pink Floyd and there are pages and pages or hours and hours we could talk about it in a philosophic and extratemporal sense.

And what HARKER says about appreciation. That is a defining word for me. It isn't about what one likes or doesn't like. It is about understanding the sum total of what makes a recording beyond the actual sound and and recieving aha moments that may not even be about a recording at all yet the recording brings it forth. It is about enjoying the craft and knowing what skills made it. It is about a host of things that can happen when we listen to any piece of music ever made. Life is too short to reach the summit on this journey.

This recording was a breaking of convention (one of their many) and was hard to grasp when it came out. Historically its still got that same effect on the brain plus added cultural and musicological layers.

I appreciate the old and sometimes the old can be new also.....but always on the look-out for something that just blows me away and that mostly comes down to ideas rather than production or melody.....although both help. It's why I'm either all over music or in need of a break.

The last couple of artists that had that effect upon me where Burial with Untrue and Animal Collective with MPP.
When those albums dropped I was in heaven, because even if influences were there to be heard, the take was something so refreshingly beautiful, I spent literally hundreds of hours listening to them.

Re. Pink Floyd - Meddle and DSOTM for me. What followed was great but it wasn't ground-breaking.
First time I heard the track Echoes, I just thought to myself - Will I ever be capable of writing something like this. Clearly the answer was NO. :)

I love this man....a musical genius, who was tragically killed in a plane crash when he was only 30 years old....alongside his other musicians including Maury Muehleisen, who was backing him on this classic song.

What a voice.

Saw these guys last night...I've liked them from the get go, but I'm a bit of a cynic, and tend to turn off a band once they become coffee shop background fodder...but it was a great show...sounded great, joyful, brilliant musicianship across the entire group...what seem pretty straightforward blues and soul tunes are actually really complex when you see them played live.

Last edited:
And been trying to give Zappa the time I feel I should...he's a little rich for my peasant palate to be honest...but it's criminal how under rated he is as a guitarist...an absolute master at work.

Zappa can be a bit of an acquired taste - you tend to take the good with the ordinary....my first experience was when I was at high school, and came across the brilliant Zoot Allures album. Worth the time to kick back and listen on youtube.

He could sure as hell guitar.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't believe this is 25 years old, fu** that makes me feel old

Mercury Rev always struck me as a band that didn't really know what they were doing.

This is a great example - Has some elements, but the whole is somewhat weird - Lyrics, production, assembly......everything.....but the idea is good. :)

Still like these guys, but things have changed since the passing of a band member.

Mercury Rev always struck me as a band that didn't really know what they were doing.

This is a great example - Has some elements, but the whole is somewhat weird - Lyrics, production, assembly......everything.....but the idea is good. :)

Still like these guys, but things have changed since the passing of a band member.

I feel about TV On The Radio how you feel about Mercury Rev...just seem to outsmart themselves...but then they can belt it out like this...one of Lettermans finest.

I tend to agree, aside from goddess on a highway I think mercury rev fell off a cliff after SYOTOS.

Love Wolf like me

Still play Deserters Songs, beautiful nursery rhymes.

Endlessly is simply glorious, if you listen hard there’s a wonderful piano accordion in amongst it all......brilliant.

There’s a ton of wacky instruments on the whole CD.

Garth & Levon from The Band live near where they were recording and play on it.

I feel about TV On The Radio how you feel about Mercury Rev...just seem to outsmart themselves...but then they can belt it out like this...one of Lettermans finest.

Then they show up with this clip - Sure some external involvement helped - PeeWee Herman and........Karen Gillan don't hurt.
Nevertheless it's a fun track.

Used to see this one of Wilsons weaker tracks but there's a nostalgia attached about youth and if it clicks....it really hits home.

Dunno if it’s a time and place thing, but I’ve never been able to get into DSOTM.

It’s maybe Pink Floyd’s most accessible LP, and there’s definitely some cool moments however most of the tracks just feel like reprisals to me. Before anything truly interesting happens, or moreso before they build steam in any direction the album ends.

I’ve always favoured Wish You Were Here, Meddle and Animals. Way more room to breath, better standalone songs, huge centrepiece tracks, and some of the best prog moments and buildups. Echoes is probably the GOAT Pink Floyd track.

Dunno if it’s a time and place thing, but I’ve never been able to get into DSOTM.

It’s maybe Pink Floyd’s most accessible LP, and there’s definitely some cool moments however most of the tracks just feel like reprisals to me. Before anything truly interesting happens, or moreso before they build steam in any direction the album ends.

I’ve always favoured Wish You Were Here, Meddle and Animals. Way more room to breath, better standalone songs, huge centrepiece tracks, and some of the best prog moments and buildups. Echoes is probably the GOAT Pink Floyd track.
I think...dark side sufffers from over exposure...a bit like stairway to heaven. Its a masterpiece really if one can isolate the music from the hype and just listen with headphones.
The first time I heard echoes I freaked out and still feel the same way . The live popmeii recording is magnificent also.
Animals is probably my favourite Pink Floyd album.

Last edited:

It makes for a good discussion and in the end, there's no real absolute best as they're all good and it may depend on the impact the albums made upon you.
I do recall hearing Echoes and thinking.....I have not heard this sound before and it made for a terrific lead-in to DSOTM, but by then I veered off listening to other artists that did more for me - Can, Neu, Hawkwind etc.
Nevertheless Pink Floyd were brilliant whilst they had all their components in tact and maybe the mainstream element turned me off them to some degree.

Whichever way though DSOTM was a landmark record and will forever be remembered as such....and rightly so.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back