What are you listening to now - No. 8 🎵🎻🎶🎼🎸

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We’re discussing the GOAT on the main board at the moment.

If you were stranded on a desert island what music would be essential. It could be 10 long plays. 10 singles. 10 EPs or a combination. For the young people, who source their music differently, you can stream your music but I’ve gotta say vinyl is going to be more reliable than the World Wide Web. As the Professor taught us you can generate electricity to play a record player if you have the resources.

1. Revolver/Beatles
2. Who’s Next/The Who
3. Wish you were here/Pink Floyd
4. IV/Led Zeppelin
5. Full Moon Fever/Tom Petty
6. East/Cold Chisel (I’m not stranded yet I might take Breakfast at Sweethearts instead).
7. Whiter Shade of Pale/Procol Harum
8. Itchycoo Park/The Small Faces
9. Suspicious Minds/Elvis Presley
10. Big Yellow Taxi/Joni Mitchell (I’d have my acoustic guitar with me, figure it out and play along).

If nobody responds I’ll assume that the three hour tour was uneventful.

I still recall where I was when I first heard the following LZ tracks -

Rock n Roll - At a friends place watching him try to play Smoke on the Water....LZ = great. Friend = Complete fail :)
Kashmir - At work and it came across he radio and I thought, WTF. Had all the elements I liked at that time sewn into one track. The song I wanted to write.

It's funny when one looks back in this way.
The mid 70s had me searching for a new sound and one I heard in my head and then I bought this album and heard this....There it was. Unbelievable.

LEMMY!!!! I was a massive Hawkwind fan when I was a kid....in fact I still am, and I'm now a big kid....

If you were stranded on a desert island what music would be essential. It could be 10 long plays. 10 singles. 10 EPs or a combination. For the young people, who source their music differently, you can stream your music but I’ve gotta say vinyl is going to be more reliable than the World Wide Web. As the Professor taught us you can generate electricity to play a record player if you have the resources.

1. Revolver/Beatles
2. Who’s Next/The Who
4. IV/Led Zeppelin
6. East/Cold Chisel (I’m not stranded yet I might take Breakfast at Sweethearts instead).
10. Big Yellow Taxi/Joni Mitchell (I’d have my acoustic guitar with me, figure it out and play along).

the great rock n roll swindle/sex pistols
ten/pearl jam
dark side of the moon/pink floyd
primary/the cure
power lies corruption/ new order
brilliant trees/me
fear factory/fear is the mind killer
sparkle and fade/everclear
way to go out (live)/ Hunters and collectors
jungle book lp/disney

Last edited:
LEMMY!!!! I was a massive Hawkwind fan when I was a kid....in fact I still am, and I'm now a big kid....

All those nights in the back of my station-wagon, listening to Hawkwind after some good gold..... :)
Really important band in life. I even died (think I died, as I was looking down on my body) listening to them......and music wasn't playing.

It's mostly BOC for me now - My new religion

Just feels like my childhood. Those days where everything was novel. No shame in reliving it every now and then, is it? :)

If you were stranded on a desert island what music would be essential. It could be 10 long plays. 10 singles. 10 EPs or a combination.
Great stuff...I do the same thing with my buddy who's a music tragic. We do lists like "the best 10 songs of all time", "the 10 best Oz songs of all time", "the best 10 albums of all time", "the 10 best musical soundtracks of all time", "10 best album covers of all time" etc etc.
I'm putting my list together as we speak.

the great rock n roll swindle/sex pistols
ten/pearl jam
dark side of the moon/pink floyd
primary/the cure
power lies corruption/ new order
brilliant trees/me
fear factory/fear is the mind killer
sparkle and fade/everclear
way to go out (live)/ Hunters and collectors
jungle book lp/disney
A list that begins with the Pistols and ends with Jungle Book is a nice spectrum.

1. Revolver/Beatles
2. Who’s Next/The Who
4. IV/Led Zeppelin

This is so hard to respond to, coz it's constantly changing. I'd take a few double/triple albums to extend the list and a mixture of reggae, punk,classic and country to ease the boredom.

Catch A Fire - The Wailers
Arkology - Lee 'Scratch' Perry
Sandinista - The Clash
Set List - Sham '69
Zen Arcade - Husker Du
Gold - Sublime
Pin Ups - David Bowie
Physical Graffiti - Led Zeppelin
New York - Lou Reed
Car Wheels On A Gravel Road - Lucinda Williams

1. Revolver/Beatles
2. Who’s Next/The Who
4. IV/Led Zeppelin

In no particular order....

Quadrophenia (studio version) - The Who
Frank's Wild Years/Blue Valentine - Tom Waits
Physical Graffiti - Led Zep
Bram Stoker's Dracula Soundtrack - Wojciech Kilar
Abbey Road - Beatles
Celtic Poets - Jah Wobble
The Captain and Me - Doobie Brothers
Every Picture Tells a Story - Rod Stewart
Harvest - Neil Young
Tumbleweed Connection - Elton John

I woke in horror last night. An omission that cannot be justified. Forgive me Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars. Sorry Elvis you’ve become jetsam.

I’m loving the contributions. Remember I’ve got 6 others on our three hour cruise (3 still left). If it‘s the Phillipines we can probably triple that.

Every person has mentioned at least one disc that Robbo has in his collection.

Love Dark Side of the Moon.

Pin Ups is out of the blue but I’m onboard.

Every Picture Tells a Story (first LP I purchased with my own hard earned pocket money). Imagine followed soon after. Poor Rod. All was over once Ronnie joined The Rolling Stones.

And Lou Reed. Big fan of Transformer and Berlin. I wish I had have kept my copy of Metal Machine Music. Worst LP ever made. It would have to be worth a fortune now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back