What do football grounds need to improve

Remove this Banner Ad

Soulless? You've obviously never been there when the place is full.

Rocks like nothing else.
No, that just means you get an atmosphere. The soul is about what you feel when you walk into a ground does it have a presence? Does it send a tingle up your spine thinking about great games you've seen there? All I feel is the cold dankness of a concrete building that has no personality.

Ask yourself, if your team moved to a different home ground in Melbourne would you give a toss?

No, that just means you get an atmosphere. The soul is about what you feel when you walk into a ground does it have a presence? Does it send a tingle up your spine thinking about great games you've seen there? All I feel is the cold dankness of a concrete building that has no personality.

Ask yourself, if your team moved to a different home ground in Melbourne would you give a toss?
You can't win though, can you.

Unless you are Geelong (we are very lucky) you cannot afford to keep your 'soulful' home ground. The old suburban grounds in Melbourne were run-down junkyards by the end of most of them. And if they weren't quite that bad, they were terrible in many stands for spectators (such as Princes Park). Most opposition supporters still complain about Kardinia Park now.

So it's either that, or have a first-class 21st century-standard stadium.

Except the 'G, which is both.
It is both, however one could argue it has lost a lot of its 'soul' too.

Also it would be infeasible to have many other stadiums like the MCG. That is why it is unique to begin with.

I don't get it, what is so bad about pattersons?

It is both, however one could argue it has lost a lot of its 'soul' too.

Also it would be infeasible to have many other stadiums like the MCG. That is why it is unique to begin with.

Completely disagree to be honest. I went to the Boxing Day Test, day 2, last year and I hadn't been to the 'G all season (only games I'd been to were at Etihad) and walking down to the front row of the Southern Stand and looking across at the members sent chills down my spine. That place is seriously awe-inspiring.:thumbsu:

Completely disagree to be honest. I went to the Boxing Day Test, day 2, last year and I hadn't been to the 'G all season (only games I'd been to were at Etihad) and walking down to the front row of the Southern Stand and looking across at the members sent chills down my spine. That place is seriously awe-inspiring.:thumbsu:
I'm talking about people who used have been attending since before the mega-stands were built.

Don't know if it's been said but grassed areas, better maintained facilities (the shitters at the gabba are always disgusting), full strength beer and not the half assed crap, having a kick on the ground, half decent food (I'm not extremely fussy but the fish and chips and stale pie thing is getting old), parking is always a problem, more area between seats to walk through, the pitch area in the middle (Only for Gabba) has caused a lot of injuries (Jared Brennan, Josh Drummond doing knee's comes to mind), stricter security (I enjoy a beer and a carry on at times but some people's language and behaviour sometimes gets to the point of disgraceful and security let it slide.

I don't get it, what is so bad about pattersons?
The location is good. Nice suburb, plenty of places to grab a beer or something to eat, and fairly accessible.

But the facilities are terrible. They're scungy and old. It always seems wet and cold even when, you know, it's not wet nor cold. It's looks miserable. The seats are cramped, and if you're even six feet, you'll be a bit uncomfortable. Intensify this for the three tier stand, where it's just even more cramped. Things like signage is non-existant or faded. Viewing wise, it's pretty poor, especially in the lower tiers at the ends. If you compare the same positions at Etihad/MCG, there's a gulf of difference.

It's hard to articulate. It's just bad. Should've been bulldozed five, ten years ago.

Getting home is a disaster, too. Subi and West Leederville have about two empty trains go by, then another two that are packed. It's poorly managed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back