What does cc mean for (golf) drivers?

Remove this Banner Ad

Falchoon said:
1000cc = 1 Litre, compare the driver head capacity to a coke can @ 375cc

Ford Falcon 4 Litre = 4000cc or 250 cubic inches.
Gotcha, actually, I stuffed up a question similar to this on my maths exam.

Only a couple of years ago, I equipped myself with a Titleist "J"-series, 375cc. Today it looks like a putter compared to some of the other things that you see on the tee.

Was surfing around one day, and come across a driver called "The Whale". Not sure what brand designed it, but it packs a tidy 600cc. Completely illegal, but christ it would have one helluva sweet spot.

Harvey Leadpipe said:
Only a couple of years ago, I equipped myself with a Titleist "J"-series, 375cc. Today it looks like a putter compared to some of the other things that you see on the tee.

Was surfing around one day, and come across a driver called "The Whale". Not sure what brand designed it, but it packs a tidy 600cc. Completely illegal, but christ it would have one helluva sweet spot.

There is a 1000cc out there, came across photos of it on rec.sport.golf

Not the only 1000cc driver on the market.
Makes my old Wilson Invex TI look like nothing

g3100.jpg

Falchoon said:
There is a 1000cc out there, came across photos of it on rec.sport.golf

You'e kidding me? In essence, a carton of milk on the end of a shaft! That is huge.

I wonder if anyone would notice me pull out that bad-boy on medal day. I dare say no-one would ask any questions when I'm lining up an eagle putt on the 410m par 4 10th.

Harvey Leadpipe said:
You'e kidding me? In essence, a carton of milk on the end of a shaft! That is huge.

I wonder if anyone would notice me pull out that bad-boy on medal day. I dare say no-one would ask any questions when I'm lining up an eagle putt on the 410m par 4 10th.

The size of the head has virtually no bearing on how far you hit it - it just makes it easier to hit consistently because of the larger sweet spot.
Drivers now have longer, lighter shafts and less overall weight, making it easier to generate more clubhead speed which means more distance.

I'd hate to see what some of the extreme long hitters from the past would do with todays equipment. George Bell for example, could lob the ball on the 1st at Commonwealth (290 yds from memory) with a 2 iron.

Fred said:
The size of the head has virtually no bearing on how far you hit it - it just makes it easier to hit consistently because of the larger sweet spot.
Drivers now have longer, lighter shafts and less overall weight, making it easier to generate more clubhead speed which means more distance.

I'd hate to see what some of the extreme long hitters from the past would do with todays equipment. George Bell for example, could lob the ball on the 1st at Commonwealth (290 yds from memory) with a 2 iron.

You're right Fred. However, knowing that there is a sweet spot about the size of a wombat at the end of your club, would give you the confidence to wind up like a spinning top.

Also, pretty sure that 90% or so (correct me if wrong) of distance gained over the past 20 years has been due to the technology of the ball itself. Bell could probably reach that with a 4 or 5 iron these days if he used to hit it that far.

Harvey Leadpipe said:
You're right Fred. However, knowing that there is a sweet spot about the size of a wombat at the end of your club, would give you the confidence to wind up like a spinning top.

Also, pretty sure that 90% or so (correct me if wrong) of distance gained over the past 20 years has been due to the technology of the ball itself. Bell could probably reach that with a 4 or 5 iron these days if he used to hit it that far.

I read an article recently where a bunch of players went out with old irons and hickory shafted woods, but with today's balls. They found that, when they hit it properly, it went just about as far as it would go with the new clubs today. When they didn't hit it exactly in the middle, however, the ball went nowhere. Which is very interesting, and certainly supports the theory that its the development of the ball that has been most significant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Falchoon said:
There are a lot of concerns over the length of players today, and therefore the obsoletion of classic courses. I heard an idea the other day.

Ban the tee.
When were tees first used?

I think they should do a tournament each year with a 'control' set of clubs and 'control' ball, being that each player had to use the same equipment.

Would make for interesting viewing.

Tee was a Scots word meaning sand.... Originally balls were teed up on a little hill of sand. THe ball was placed on top and hit from that. I actually think that if you could get a little cone shaped thing with a concave tip, packed it with wettish sand and than plopped it down like a sand castle, then put the ball on that, you would get a cleaner hit because the sand would just disintigrate as you struck the ball, rather than flip up out of hte ground or break. Most clubs ask you to carry a bucket of sand anyway for divots.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back