Whatever re

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Always causes a mix of bafflement and amusement when the people who lament the humanitarian consequences of lockdown are also the keenest to see restrictions immediately lifted, even though it'd shred lives in the thousands.

100% - this is the stuff that goes global, decisions made by bureaucrats that are not based in any form of science, otherwise it would be publicly accessible.

LP we gravitate to groups that share our values and beliefs, hence you're now in this thread. :)

It's fine to be against lockdown, I hate it. My family in Greece is enjoying freedoms that we don't have in Melbourne. They're up to 3000+ cases a day, about 20-30 deaths. They're living with it but they have more people vaccinated than we do.

It isn't fair or honest to assign blame of the lockdown to "bureaucrats" just because you don't like living with restrictions. I don't think anyone is discounting the economic cost or the impact to people's mental health.

We all know this isn't sustainable but we have to hold on for a few more weeks until we get enough people jabbed. If during that period you will be happier by hanging out in this echo chamber and complaining about our lot, so be it.

LP we gravitate to groups that share our values and beliefs, hence you're now in this thread. :)

It's fine to be against lockdown, I hate it. My family in Greece is enjoying freedoms that we don't have in Melbourne. They're up to 3000+ cases a day, about 20-30 deaths. They're living with it but they have more people vaccinated than we do.

It isn't fair or honest to assign blame of the lockdown to "bureaucrats" just because you don't like living with restrictions. I don't think anyone is discounting the economic cost or the impact to people's mental health.

We all know this isn't sustainable but we have to hold on for a few more weeks until we get enough people jabbed. If during that period you will be happier by hanging out in this echo chamber and complaining about our lot, so be it.
The bolded, they've done a very poor job of showcasing.

Why the last sentence? Seems a weird jab at me.

The bolded, they've done a very poor job of showcasing.

Why the last sentence? Seems a weird jab at me.

"Jab" is your interpretation, I see it as an observation.

You could have made a choice to hang around the other COVID thread and discuss the merit of your points. You chose to come here where your beliefs re: our circumstances are not challenged. What good is that to discussion and how is that helpful to you? It just takes you further into a nasty rabbit hole.

Last edited:
"Jab" is your interpretation, I see it as an observation.

You could have made a choice to hang around the other COVID thread and discuss the merit of your points. You chose to come here where your beliefs re: our circumstances are not challenged. What good is that to discussion and how is that helpful to you? It just takes further into a nasty rabbit hole.
Yes because the other thread isn't just an echo-chamber of sycophant lefties.

Spare me.

I never said I wouldn't continue to post in that arena, either. I'm just connecting with people who think differently.

Makes it easier to avoid that nasty rabbit hole.

Yes because the other thread isn't just an echo-chamber of sycophant lefties.

Spare me.

I never said I wouldn't continue to post in that arena, either. I'm just connecting with people who think differently.

Makes it easier to avoid that nasty rabbit hole.

All the best mate.

Not sure if she was given an exemption to cross the border in to Victoria in the end.. but what ever happened to that mother.. who was fully vaccinated.. seeking an exemption to help her daughter who was going through chemotherapy? Why on earth would you even think about not granting her an exemption?
She only drives a sedan.

How can someone not question some.. not all.. restrictions?

What's the scientific evidence behind making the decision to close skate parks 2 weeks ago.. and 2 weeks later.. cutting the ribbons?

Let me guess some responses:

What's the big deal?
Are you going to lose sleep over it?
Why not build a ramp in your backyard?

jathanas I think you know that the lockdown will go for a few more months at least not a few more weeks. All over less than 100 cases. Let's be honest about the time frame. I got a haircut the day the last one started. Can't imagine what it will look like by the time this finishes as already it is unruly and refusing to sit the way I want it.

One Australian characteristic which visitors note after being here awhile is our obsession with safety, whether it be heavily punitive fines for traffic infringements, not wearing a bike helmet or speed limits across the country that only allow vehicles to travel at very modest speeds compared to our European or American counterparts. This safety obsession underpins our belief that this is a great country in which to bring up children. It has been fully on display throughout this crisis.

What has also been prominent is a hesitancy to make decisions to ensure that our overriding concern for safety, in this case minimising cases and deaths, does not drag out the crisis longer than this cautious approach requires. In this we have failed dismally, not securing enough Pfizer vaccine and scaring people off being vaccinated by the one vaccine of which we do have a decent supply. While the rest of the world is learning to live with the virus, we are stuck in lockdown with our borders firmly shut, even to each other.

I guess the country that sits at the opposite extreme is Sweden, a much maligned country but one that has learned to live with the virus and whose cases and deaths are now at an acceptable level without resorting to lockdowns or extreme measures. Temperamentally I think I would have been much happier being there the last two years. Even though this is my native country, I feel like I am in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I am no covid radical, I am pro vaccine and have supported lockdowns when they seemed likely to provide a reasonably quick fix. But I cannot believe that a sophisticated 1st world country could make such a mess of the handling of this virus, that states would end up controlling the country and fighting with each other and that we would be the only country to prevent its own citizens from leaving or returning.

I too would prefer that covid discussion take place in the other threads, simply because this is now a repository for the Gimp's humour and I would prefer to come here for some light relief. This is the one comment I want to make in here and only because others have migrated here from the main threads. Let's not chase the Gimp out of here totally because its the likes of his humour that are going to sustain me over the next few months or more.

Last edited:
jathanas I think you know that the lockdown will go for a few more months at least not a few more weeks. All over less than 100 cases. Let's be honest about the time frame. I got a haircut the day the last one started. Can't imagine what it will look like by the time this finishes as already it is unruly and refusing to sit the way I want it.

One Australian characteristic which visitors note after being here awhile is our obsession with safety, whether it be heavily punitive fines for traffic infringements, not wearing a bike helmet or speed limits across the country that only allow vehicles to travel at very modest speeds compared to our European or American counterparts. This safety obsession underpins our belief that this is a great country in which to bring up children. It has been fully on display throughout this crisis.

What has also been prominent is a hesitancy to make decisions to ensure that our overriding concern for safety, in this case minimising cases and deaths, does not drag out the crisis longer than this cautious approach requires. In this we have failed dismally, not securing enough Pfizer vaccine and scaring people off being vaccinated by the one vaccine of which we do have a decent supply. While the rest of the world is learning to live with the virus, we are stuck in lockdown with our borders firmly shut, even to each other.

I guess the country that sits at the opposite extreme is Sweden, a much maligned country but one that has learned to live with the virus and whose cases and deaths are now at an acceptable level without resorting to lockdowns or extreme measures. Temperamentally I think I would have been much happier being there the last two years. Even though this is my native country, I feel like I am in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I am no covid radical, I am pro vaccine and have supported lockdowns when they seemed likely to provide a reasonably quick fix. But I cannot believe that a sophisticated 1st world country could make such a mess of the handling of this virus, that states would end up controlling the country and fighting with each other and that we would be the only country to prevent its own citizens from leaving or returning.

I too would prefer that covid discussion take place in the other threads, simply because this is now a repository for the Gimp's humour and I would prefer to come here for some light relief. This is the one comment I want to make in here and only because others have migrated here from the main threads. Let's not chase the Gimp out of here totally because its the likes of his humour that are going to sustain me over the next few months or more.

This place has not really become a repository of humour at all, in my view.

It's a place which looks to cast doubt on restrictions, on vaccines, and sometimes on Covid itself. Just because there might be something which makes someone giggle from time to time doesn't mean that the pandemic-related views expressed here should be left unchallenged.

This place has not really become a repository of humour at all, in my view.

It's a place which looks to cast doubt on restrictions, on vaccines, and sometimes on Covid itself. Just because there might be something which makes someone giggle from time to time doesn't mean that the pandemic-related views expressed here should be left unchallenged.
I have just spotted the thread and have only read 3 or 4 pages preceding today's entries, and all I have seen is posts of the Gimp's usual humour. If there are pandemic related views of a sinister nature expressed prior to those posts, I am blissfully unaware of their existence.

I have just spotted the thread and have only read 3 or 4 pages preceding today's entries, and all I have seen is posts of the Gimp's usual humour. If there are pandemic related views of a sinister nature expressed prior to those posts, I am blissfully unaware of their existence.

Blissful ignorance aside, they're there!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Moderna Guy.
Never attended a protest.
Obeyed all the rules.
Questions some of the restrictions.. not all.
Questions some of the exemptions not granted.. not all.
Have not lost one friendship/relationship.. not one.

I'm not sure how much more of sound response you can get in dealing with it.

Perhaps I should just target all Christians.. if I see one wearing a Jesus shirt at a protest.. they're all in on it? Resurrect the Romans.. so they can throw them all to the lions?

Proud Greek Orthodox.

Last edited:

I don't find any humour in this thread but in almost every other respect I agree with your post.

Blissful ignorance aside, they're there!
Maybe, but I have not read them and my only other comment in here a few days back was unrelated to covid. i have made my one comment relating to the covid situation today and don't intend to comment further in this thread. I am content to go into battle in the main threads. The problem I find is that everyone in them is very much of the same mindset and expressing an opinion there that is not firmly supportive of prevailing thought is not a fun experience. If those threads represented a real life war situation, I would probably feel compelled to join an underground movement and take up arms despite at heart being a pacifist. Extremist views may be 'dangerous', but putting the squeeze on people with relatively moderate views can also create enemies with people who prefer to have a foot in several camps, whilst not in full agreement with mainstream views.

Also, while covid has consumed our thoughts and perhaps determined our alliances over the last 18 months, there are also posters with whom I had a kind of friendship or who I respect for the work they did for this forum for many years prior to this unfortunate period of history. While they may now be expressing views with which I disagree, I don't like to see them ostracised and despised in the manner that some have been.

As the nun behind the story of 'Dead man walking' said - 'No one is as bad as the worst thing they have ever done in their life'. A little humanity, understanding and tolerance never goes astray, particularly at times like this.

Last edited:
Maybe, but I have not read them and my only other comment in here a few days back was unrelated to covid. i have made my one comment relating to the covid situation today and don't intend to comment further in this thread. I am content to go into battle in the main threads. The problem I find is that everyone in them is very much of the same mindset and expressing an opinion there that is not firmly supportive of prevailing thought is not a fun experience. If those threads represented a real life war situation, I would probably feel compelled to join an underground movement and take up arms despite at heart being a pacifist. Extremist views may be 'dangerous', but putting the squeeze on people with relatively moderate views can also create enemies with people who prefer to have a foot in several camps, whilst not in full agreement with mainstream views.

Also, while covid has consumed our thoughts and perhaps determined our alliances over the last 18 months, there are also posters with whom I had a kind of friendship or who I respect for the work they did for this forum for many years prior to this unfortunate period of history. While they may now be expressing views with which I disagree, I don't like to see them ostracised and despised in the manner that some have been.

As the nun behind the story of 'Dead man walking' said - 'No one is as bad as the worst thing they have done in their life'. A little humanity, understanding and tolerance never goes astray, particularly at times like this.

I liked that movie. Hard to watch but lovely in its way.

Who knows why, but when I've seen people on the Collingwood board question the severity of the pandemic, or demonise the government response, or cast doubt on the efficacy of vaccines, or politicise what we're going through, I've felt a need to reply.

I'm in favour of humanity, but I just don't know how we can achieve understanding when so many people are intent upon misrepresenting the situation we're dealing with. When information is so crucial, and when consent is so necessary, how can the presentation of misinformation do anything other than cause antagonism?

I know I have judged people harshly throughout this. But the pandemic is the greatest challenge to our collective since WWII, demanding that we come together for the good of a society and its most vulnerable, and I've struggled not to take issue with people whose perspectives are almost specifically designed to go against the grain.

And I've been judged harshly in my turn. People who I got on with before this storm now call me arrogant and hateful and belligerent, if they bother to refer to me at all. Beyond me, people who have similar views to me have been pilloried as stooges for mainstream media or government sycophants.

It's going to be a long lockdown. But I think we all know it's not about the 100s of cases that are appearing today. It's about the hundreds of thousands of cases that would accrue without it.

Give us the statistics on the number of people testing positive……
How many have been vaccinated?

Its time to start gathering this information
The stats are out there - no idea about latest Aussie stats though. If you read up on Israel, there's lots of data about it. In a nutshell, with the older strains, very few vaccinated tested positive. With this new strain large numbers of vaccinated are testing positive. It lowers the spread of Delta, but doesn't come particularly close to stopping it like it was with earlier strains.

I’m aware of all that but if they are basing the decision to continue with lockdowns on the number of positive test results then we will never get out of lockdown.
‘Have you been vaccinated?’ is not a question you are asked when you go for a test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back