Wilkinson named England captain

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we'll beat England and Scotland.

But the French....

As for Wilkinson, I think it'll be interesting because he doesn't come across as the type of captain to really fire up the rest of the side as a Martin Johnson, and even a Lawrence Dallaglio would do. I guess they really had no other choice and maybe he'll take it in his stride.

I want to see what Dipper has to say on this.

Mint Condition said:
I think we'll beat England and Scotland.

But the French....

As for Wilkinson, I think it'll be interesting because he doesn't come across as the type of captain to really fire up the rest of the side as a Martin Johnson, and even a Lawrence Dallaglio would do. I guess they really had no other choice and maybe he'll take it in his stride.

I want to see what Dipper has to say on this.

Your wish is granted. :D

As you say there was really no other choice, Phil Vickery had been mentioned for a while as a possible but he's only just coming back from long term injury himself.

I wouldn't have minded Richard Hill as a short term measure, to hand over to Wilkinson when he's been back from his injury a while & is sure of his game again but Hill's out for the season now so it really was only Wilkinson.

He's never going to be a tub thumper as leader but really neither was Johnson, he didn't say a lot but lead by example, in fact as he himself says, Wilkinson tended to talk more to the side before games in his role as no10.

I think Dallagallio used to do all the Churchillian style speeches when Johnson was captain which worked pretty well but obviously it wasn't quite as successful when he was captain himself.Which leads me to think that you probably don't want the captain to be the rabble rouser of the team.

As for England losing to Australia in November despite the fact that we're in upheaval having lost most of our world cup side, & most of those that are left aren't playing too well I still find it hard to back against us at home against your lot.

I'm hoping that the England of the 6 nations & summer tour wasn't the real England.When facts are faced it has to be pointed out that our leading players had hardly any summer break last year due to the timing of the world cup & then when they got back after the comp the clubs here shamefully flogged them some more, with a players like Richard Hill playing again for his club less than 2 weeks after returning home.This sort of thing is obviously going to take it's toll.
Hopefully if they do sort out a global season this will help this kind of thing for our players but to be honest they'll still be playing the same number of games so I'm no sure it will.

I suppose really nobody can be sure what to expect from England in the autumn.

Hasn't Neil Back sort of taken a step back from international rugby? Didn't think he toured with them this year?

He must be close to retirement from Internationals - he must be early-mid 30's now??

I think Wilkinson will be a good captain - he certainly has an extremely professional attitude to rugby & I would have thought would be quite a good motivator, but in a measured kind of way. He definitely doesn't appear to lose his cool. Although, as always, it remains to be seen what sort of an impact it will have on his own game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back