Opinion Chad Wingard

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it really any different to the over the top Shaun Burgoyne hate that was here for a decade?

Burgoyne stung because he left us at our lowest and went on to win premierships and play for a very long time when the word was his body wouldn't hold up.

Chad is the complete opposite in every single respect.

I would wait a year, and see if make it back for his injury.

Hawks will offer 1 year, from the radio.

Unfornutly i think his pass it.( with the injury).

People realise he's likely not playing at all next year yeah? Which would make it 4 seasons since he's had a full season (a season in which he was ordinary for most of it anyway). A lot of love for a small forward who kicked 9 goals in 14 games this year.

Hard pass. Hard hard hard hard pass.
This.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The question you need to ask yourself is, would you rather....

Chad Wingard:

Broken body, a warrior struggling to remain relevant, nearing the end, into 30s

Jed McEntee:

Vanilla thriller, mythical pressure demon, all round good bloke

.....I know who I'm picking for a finals series in 2024

Chad Wingard:

Jed McEntee:

Classic Morton's Fork. I'm going neither.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Averaging less than a goal a game over 5 years at Hawthorn. He must be good at implied pressure.

His 2021 season was light years ahead of those who replaced him (22dsp/0.7gls/1.1ga), both in terms of draft compensation, and the big ticket free agent who filled the ~$700k pa in salary he left behind and had been reduced to a wisp of highly-paid fumes unworthy of a game when we needed him most.

Hit a peak vein of form on the eve of finals too, going at 2 Brownlow Votes per game in the final month of the minor round.

Might’ve been in handy in that finals series, idk.

Sure, but we're going for a 30 year old ruckman who's one serious injury away from his career being over and that's supposedly the missing piece.

If we can delist Fantasia and get Chad for nothing, I don't see what the issue is. Especially when Jed mcentee is running around week after week. In Chad's last 4-6 weeks, he showed to me that there's still something there that could be cruicial in a finals series.

2025 finals?

Fairly bloody simple.

The issue is that Chad won't play for 2024, but Grundy will, Dante probably will for deliberate development and maybe even Hayes stays as third banana to spread the load because he can at least get on the park for his primary function even if his movement on the park is limited by AFL ruck standard. Grundy if he doesn't have to be ground down into dust for the whole season because he has functioning backup has a good chance of being usefully on the park in 2025. Maybe further out is questionable but that's the Grundy debate - total years and total dollars, the short term return for 2024 is not at all in question.

Fairly bloody simple.

The complete and utter time-dyslexia - can't think of a better term for it - of some folks over Wingard here in this thread, now, is incredible. Wingard now is sadly due to severe injury not the Wingard of a few weeks ago nor is he superstar Wingard of 2015. And then there's "get Chad for nothing" as if by adding one player off the park in place of another off the park is a significant "gain" in the short term. It is not.

Fairly bloody simple.

Not disrespecting Wingard in any way shape or form here.

edit: corrected one errant 2025 ;)

Chad Wingard:

Jed McEntee:

As Bigfooty's chief Chad Wingard lover and Jed McEntee hater, even I concede that McEntee would likely outperform a Wingard who is completely unable to run because of an Achilles injury.

Not by much though.

7xnrzk.jpg

We dont wait until November to recruit players. By then we have been into them for the best part of a year or 2- Fantasia, Ratugolea, Grundy are examples. Fantasia we tried to get 12 months earlier. We had a dip at Grundy and Rat last year.

Wingard probably wont play AFL until 2025. IF Hawthorn delist then the offer would be to use our rehab in 2024 with a view to recruit as a delisted free agent for 2025.

This offer is a no brainer. We have a better record than the “family club” for looking after our own, our former players and definitely our First Nations players. We can see whether he has the maturity and desire to do a 12 month rehab. If he does, he could come back better than ever. I would want to be on the ground floor to find that out.

I still resent Burgoyne.

nah, maybe you can thank Shaun for Chad getting here!!

I have not been smoking.

I wonder if he stayed, and, minus board interference became captain under our then medical regime and was still forced out of necessity to play primary midfield target for the oppo would his body have held up anywhere near as long? A few more years at least for sure. I am also led to believe though never confirmed that there was an off field family related issue too. Overall he made the right decision.

He couldn't have guessed how bad it was going to get here short term, not that that was his primary responsibility. Which brings me to...

I also wonder who drafts Butcher in that counterfactual. Probably he slides to 16 because injury concerns and we still get him but instead of Jasper ;)

And then maybe we don't slide quite as far or as fast by/in 2011 and miss out on... Wingard.

It's all Matthew Bode's fault hey <ducks head>.

Wingard would absolutely play for us when fit and if he was free I'd take him back in a second.

He'd have played every game this year if fit and on our list.
I posted this exactly the same thing as the OP in the draft and trading thread and was howled down also.

On moto g62 5G using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back