Womens 100m breaststroke

Remove this Banner Ad

She never looked like winning, I was surprised she even got the bronze.
Hopefully she'll win a gold in the 200m breaststroke.

She Duff's it again....the girl needs a shrink.

A waste of cracking form at an event that changes hands very quickly might have been her 1 and only chance at olympic gold....pity.

brooke hanson will never win anything, she is a born loser. Leisel jones will win something one day because she was so unhappy that she lost. To me it shows she has the determination to win, and will.

hanson was too happy for someone who didnt win. She was satisfied with silver and she wont ever win because of this.

Ricketts said:
brooke hanson will never win anything, she is a born loser. Leisel jones will win something one day because she was so unhappy that she lost. To me it shows she has the determination to win, and will.

hanson was too happy for someone who didnt win. She was satisfied with silver and she wont ever win because of this.

Jones is a classic choker, Hansen's rise is very suss, if anyone saw her photo in the Hun last week you will know what I mean

Ricketts said:
brooke hanson will never win anything, she is a born loser.

Get a life, Hanson is happy to have achieved something after alot of heartache.

The term loser is something she is not.

Brooke Hanson missed selection for the Atlanta games by just a couple of hundredths of a second.

She kept on training and four years later missed selection for the Sydney games by just a couple of hundredths of a second.

She kept training and four years later has won a medal at Athens.

And you reckon she has no determination?

Ricketts said:
hanson is satisfied with being 2nd best, jones is not.

hanson will never be a winner in life, not just swimming, if she has that attitude.

Hanson is a winner.

Missed the '96 team, could have thrown in the towel, missed the 2000 team, could have thrown in the towel, made the 2004 team. That show's she has a fair amount of ticker.

By your definition we are all losers as Hanson has achieved far more than any of us.

Congratulate her for her persistance and never give in attitude.

Ricketts said:
Leisel jones will win something one day because she was so unhappy that she lost. To me it shows she has the determination to win, and will.

Leisel Jones is the new Sam Riley/Daniel Kowalski. Expect victory to fall in their lap, but when the blowtorch is applied they melt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ricketts said:
hanson is satisfied with being 2nd best, jones is not.

hanson will never be a winner in life, not just swimming, if she has that attitude.
Much like your good self, in whatever you happen to be 2nd best in the world at :rolleyes:

Fair dinkum, aussies these days are really spoilt brats. We are fortunate enough for a country our size to be winning medals regularly but for some this is far from acceptable.

Ricketts is pretty much right, she carried on like she won the fu(k!ng thing, fair enough be proud of your perfomance, you did the best you could rah rah rah, but it suggests surprise at even getting sliver......not a winners attitude...NOT AT ALL, and you don't have to number 1 or the very best at anything, but you do have to know this.....what you have to do is want and expect to be!

No Thicko, they should refrain from treating 2nd as though it is first, being satisfied is not the ticket to improvement....

This is the Olympics.

Read my post again. ;)

Check out the argentining girl who got silver on the first night - I loved that moment, she did a personal best and her coach was so excited. Then look at Steve Parry from GBR - he came third and was so happy - to medal at the olympics is an amazing acheivement. If I had done my personal best and had struggled for so long to just make it to the olympics I would be pretty happy too! Liesel had every right not to be happy - she didn't do a pb and knew she would do better, Brooke made the final and did very close to her pb (not sure if she actually bettered it) I would be happy with that

These comments above are disturbing me, maybe you would be better off supporting america as that is what their suporters/commentator/journalist are all like.

Maybe you should jam it, i'll support where i'm from. :)

What is disturbing is accepting 2nd best at an elite level.

Do you or do you not compete to win at this level?

As i said it's fine for her to be proud of her 2nd, but it is not a WIN...and therefor should not be treated as such...

It's not about us, sure we love to see our country win but in the long run it matters little to "us", what we are talking about is elite sport and the attitude behind it.....you do need the right attitude to be the best...and you compete at this level to be the best.

Surprising really,

If i trained 4 fu(k!ng years for something, i'd want to win, i'd expect to win, and if i got that close to it i'd be a tad disapointed at not winning.

I must clarify too, my thoughts only apply in regards sport, the loser in life part i do not agree with.

nicko18 said:
Much like your good self, in whatever you happen to be 2nd best in the world at :rolleyes:

Fair dinkum, aussies these days are really spoilt brats. We are fortunate enough for a country our size to be winning medals regularly but for some this is far from acceptable.

Good call, nicko. I think we've been blessed in the last decade when it comes to the Olympics/Commonwealth games and sport in general, it's been a real golden era. That said, a long of money and infrastructure has gone into achieving this. When, I was a kid we were genuinely stoked to get a medal in a sport, and if it was gold, the winner was paraded around for days and there were countless replays of the winning event.

But now, it seems a lot of the Australian sporting public have become so accustomed to success, anything less than gold is losing for some. Folks like ricketts have gotta remember that 2nd in the world isn't bad at all, considering there's 6 and half billion of us!

Zyban, they're good points and I agree with them to an extent. I still reckon that although Hanson may not have as strong a winning attitude as the likes of some athletes, Rickett's calling her a loser is harsh.

Ricketts & Zyban, you are hard task masters.

I can understand you saying that coming second and "over the top" celebrating is not good enough for a youngster at their first meeting, but with Hanson she is celebrating the hard journey she has ridden. I think Hanson deserves an exemption from your loser tag.

A loser is someone who throws in the towel at the first sign of not being able to win. eg. feigns an injury, blames the starters, noisy crowd, doesn't put their nose to the grindstone etc.

I said i don't see her as a loser, to do as well as she has she has already won, BUT, i see her always playing second fiddle in her sport with the attitude she displayed, i was rapt for her and truth be told it was about what i expected of her...a medal anyways, but when an athlete gets close to winning and does not quite pull it off, it's genuinly good to see a touch a disapointment, it says they wanted....expected more, and if they want and expect more, then their chances of getting more out of themselves one day increase by a fair amount.

Jones will eventually acheive more (givin a good shrink) because she expects a whole lot more of herself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back