Computers & Internet Wow paypal & ebay suck!

Remove this Banner Ad

TheKanga

Brownlow Medallist
May 31, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Melbourne City
I recently just put some old games and stuff up for sale on ebay.
Mainly because I've been struggling for money a bit lately.
Yet now paypal says my funds from the items I sold won't be available to me for 21 days.
They have put a hold on the funds, they look after the buyer but the seller gets nothing.
I'm now expected to pay for expensive postage out of other money before I can get my money.
Doesn't seem fair to me, last time I use their POS sites.

Yet now paypal says my funds from the items I sold won't be available to me for 21 days.
They have put a hold on the funds, they look after the buyer but the seller gets nothing.
I'm now expected to pay for expensive postage out of other money before I can get my money.
Gumtree.com.au is better to sell stuff on.
It's free, and you don't get charged fees/commission. Dont even need a bank account as you can obviously just sell stuff local pick-up.

Gumtree.com.au is better to sell stuff on.
It's free, and you don't get charged fees/commission. Dont even need a bank account as you can obviously just sell stuff local pick-up.

Doesn't feebay own Gumtree?

Doesn't feebay own Gumtree?
Don't think so, no.
For a number of years now, I sell stuff exclusively on Gumtree, and buy the occasional thing from ebay. Selling on gumtree so good....you mainly attract local buyers, they express interest quickly, they don't mess about, they come to your door, and the prices you get for stuff isn't like ebay where things are so discounted due to the heavy amount of similar/same stuff available to buy, dropping the price....only to then have ebay take fees/commission off your sale purchase, and you still have to ship the stuff out, pay more money, insurance, tracking, etc etc. Such a headache.

But really good to buy stuff. Actually, Amazon is even better to buy stuff....certain types of stuff like books, DVDs, etc. Arrives so much quicker, and less hassle in chasing people up, etc.

It's like paypal don't realise people might actually need the money to post the items.
Especially as bulky items can cost $20-30 to post.

They are more than happy to take their cut straight away though!
I understand there is a lawsuit against Ebay & Paypal over holding sellers money.

They would do this so it gives the buyer time to dispute if the item is never delivered. It wouldn't be fair if the buyer bought something only to have the seller to have never posted the item and run away with the money. That is why paypal is safer to use than direct transfer or using your credit card to purchase items off ebay because once your money is already in the sellers hands it is harder to get back if something goes wrong. I have made one dispute on paypal when an item wasn't delivered and the seller never posted any response back on paypal so I was able to get my money back by default but if I had put money directly into thier bank account I probably never would have got it back because the money would have already been given to them.
But it would be frustating when you are struggling with money if you are a seller.

Will not be dealing with Ebay again. Its too easy for people to return items, especially expensive items, and EBAY nearly always rules against the seller. So many stories about sellers getting screwed over. I was going to challenge the guy, but decided not to bother, when
my parents told me how hard it is to challenge.

Will not be dealing with Ebay again. Its too easy for people to return items, especially expensive items, and EBAY nearly always rules against the seller. So many stories about sellers getting screwed over. I was going to challenge the guy, but decided not to bother, when
my parents told me how hard it is to challenge.
Expensive s**t goes to Gumtree. Junk you can afford to lose goes to FeeBay

Never used ebay and never will. My town has a Facebook page where people buy and sell. Much better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back