Senior Zak Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

Jones-Trade-940x599.jpg

Zak Jones has become the Saints’ fourth recruit of the Trade Period after the club reached an agreement with the Swans tonight.

The Saints welcomed Jones and the Swans’ future fourth-round selection after on-trading pick No. 32, received from the Bulldogs in exchange for Josh Bruce, and the club’s future third-round selection.

Zak Jones has become the Saints’ fourth recruit of the Trade Period after the club reached an agreement with the Swans tonight.

The Saints welcomed Jones, pick 56, and the Swans’ future fourth-round selection after on-trading pick No. 32, received from the Bulldogs in exchange for Josh Bruce, pick 76 and Fremantle’s future third-round selection.

The 24-year-old’s electric pace and versatility will be a welcome addition to the Saints.

List Manager James Gallagher said Jones was a great fit for St Kilda’s young group.

“We have a lot of guys at a similar age and with a similar level of experience,” he said.

We think Zak will compliment the likes of Jack Billings and Jade Gresham with his ability to break the lines and really attack the game with his speed.
“He is a real competitor who is entering the prime of his career, and we are excited for what he can achieve in the coming years.

“I know our coaching group is really excited to have Zak as part of our team next season, and we think our fans will love the aggression he brings.”

Jones played 90 games for the Swans over six seasons after being selected with pick No. 15 in the 2013 National Draft.

Zak Jones

191023-playergraphic-jones.jpg

St Kilda identified a need for speed heading into 2020, and Zak Jones fitted the bill perfectly.

The lightning-quick Swan provides aggression, physicality and grunt to the Saints’ engine room, with his hardness at the contest unchanging across his six seasons at the elite level.

When paired with the likes of Bradley Hill and Jack Billings on the outside, St Kilda’s wingmen – and midfield – are set to soar heading into a new season.

The fans have spoken, and Zak Jones is the Round 2 Dare Iced Coffee Sainter of the Round.

In just his second outing in the red, white and black, the former Swan dominated the centre to drive the Saints to their first win of the year.

Jones capped off his evening with 29 disposals (13 contested), 16 pressure acts, five centre clearances and a goal, with his grunt revving up St Kilda’s engine room.

Seems appropriate seeing as I had the last post last year!

I didn't think much of Zac at the Swans. I knew what he was renowned for (pace, aggression and shanking it) and that he was a half decent player but he mostly got on my nerves for being traded into my SC team at his peak only to crash shortly after due to either form or injury.

When I heard he was a Saints man and keen to head to us I thought he'd be a useful pick up and probably slot in to half back and contribute.

I didn't expect him to be a vital cog in our midfield with multiple best on ground performances; culminating in a 6th place in our B&F. And 2nd ranked mid after Steeley.

With the addition of Crouch, the return of Gresh and the likelihood of Hunter spending a lot more time in the middle I do wonder whether Zac will have the same role as 2020. I do know what to expect from him though and that's a whole lot of throwing himself into every contest with little regard for his own safety.

In fact the more I think about it the more I realise how much he has in common with my old boy Armo. Fitting.

All I can say is go you good thing Zaccy!

Unfortunately Zac suffered a hamstring injury at training recently and will be sitting out the next couple weeks.

A chance to play Round 1. But I like to think we'll be conservative with him given that he's now forming somewhat of a hamstring injury habit...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We were cautious with Zak for round 1 but sounds like he is good to return for this week's game against the dee's.

He'll provide a good point of difference in our side especially against a mostly one paced melbourne midfield.

However he may need to get used to roving the oppositions taps, really quickly.

Zak Jones is in prime position to tackle the Demons head-on after overcoming a left hamstring strain.

The No. 3 was touch-and-go for Sunday’s season opener, but with his hamstring history and the club’s injury list – plus a corkie leading up to Round 1 – taken into account, a conservative approach was taken.

Jones instead played three quarters for Sandringham over the weekend, working well in tandem on the inside alongside fellow Saint Brad Crouch.

Round 4 v Eagles

Something clicked at half time and Zak had a massive second half along with the rest of the team. 26 touches, aggressive at the man and ball, bursting out of packs saw him back to his best.

The fans have spoken, and as voted by you, Zak Jones is this week’s Dare Iced Coffee Sainter of the Round.

Jones was outstanding throughout St Kilda’s dominant win over Hawthorn, racking up a career-high 37 disposals along with two goals, seven clearances and six tackles to poll over 80 per cent of the fans' votes.

He was voted as St Kilda’s best player after the game to take home the Silk-Miller Memorial Medal as the Saints retained the Blue Ribbon Cup.

The 26-year-old was everywhere for his side during Saturday’s 69-point win, collecting 24 touches in the first half alone.

Jones also had 13 score involvements, providing ample support for his forwards as Jack Higgins (four goals) and Dan Butler (three goals) enjoyed the delivery inside 50.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back