Multiplat Zero Time Dilemma

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
T'Wolves/Patrick Beverley/Footscray
Three years after the release of Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward (the sequel to the superb 999), the final part of the trilogy has been announced for the first half of 2016 for PS Vita and 3DS.

http://au.ign.com/articles/2015/07/03/zero-escape-volume-3-revealed

In the first half of 2016, Zero Escape Volume 3 will make it's way 3DS and PlayStation Vita for North America.

Zero Escape Volume 3 is a direct sequel to 999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors and Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward. Unlike its predecessors, the North American version of Zero Escape Volume 3 is in production alongside the Japanese version. The release window for the Japanese version of Zero Escape Volume 3 was not announced.

For those that haven't played the games and enjoy story-based adventure games, I strongly urge you to pick up both 999 and VLR - they're superb games with a strong story, a deep underlying message and countless surprises.

Can't wait. Loved the other two games.

I picked up Virtues Last Reward after seeing it on sale and didn't bother checking what it was about.

I was so creeped out after playing it...

They are psychological thrillers.

And they live up to its name. It's psychologically thrilling.

At least the second one is.

Wtf are they? Other than the games with the worst names in history.
They're honestly really hard to describe. The stories are complicated. TL;DR version: you're trapped in a certain space with a bunch of other people and must risk your life to escape, solving numerous puzzles and such. They have elements of psychological thrillers, graphic novels, point-and-click adventure and puzzlers. They're great examples of how choice systems should work - the game can go in a number of different ways as a result of your choices. Quite a few different endings.

999 (the first game) is a DS game from 2010 so I'm sure you can probably pick it up very cheaply if you want to have a look. Playing it is probably the best way to get a sense of whether it's for you.

Like TheFreshBanana said, though, the game can be pretty creepy at times, in the Japanese, "Wow they really just went there," kind of way.

Scary?

Edit: Keep in mind, I am a giant pussy.
No jump scares or really ****ed up monsters or creatures and stuff.

But it is... goosebump scary I suppose.

I'm like you, don't do horror games AT ALL. Horror movies. Horror TV shows. The book Goosebumps. Don't do em. At all.

But the 2nd game, Virtues Last Reward was pretty fun, and I think I pretty much spent the whole weekend playing it and couldn't put it down.

The good thing about these games, is there's a lot of options and alternative endings, so a lot of replayability.

But I only played it once, because it was too scary to want to play again. So there's that.

Replaying 999. Forgot how convoluted the story is. :p Really grabs you, though, and makes you want to learn more.

Scary?

Edit: Keep in mind, I am a giant pussy.
It's honestly tough to say. There's no jump scares or monsters or anything, a little bit of cartoon gore etc but really, not much more than that. I certainly wouldn't categorise it as horror. What I will say though is that the game makes you feel uncertain. The atmosphere it creates is a helpless one and I know that even in game form that can make people feel uncomfortable. The themes within it are, while not really 'scary', pretty intense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Played a little bit last night. The new jump system is bloody confusing but I think it's supposed to be. English dubbing is, well, atrocious and I've set the audio language back to Japanese. They've also tried to do a bit too much graphically/technically and haven't quite hit the bar. Despite that though, the puzzles are brilliant as always and the story is intriguing and seems a bit darker than the previous games. Enjoying it so far.

Really enjoy these games.

Much prefer the episode/jump system of the later games as opposed to 999's of having to do everything over and over again to see all the endings.

Hooked. So, so, so hooked, just like I was with every other game in the series.

Potentially motivating...

Potentially motivating...
It's a fantastic game; I adored it. Ties the story up magnificently despite it being extremely intricate. They were a bit too ambitious graphically but the game was throughly enjoyable. Best of the series by quite a margin.

It's a fantastic game; I adored it. Ties the story up magnificently despite it being extremely intricate. They were a bit too ambitious graphically but the game was throughly enjoyable. Best of the series by quite a margin.

Agreeing with you so far; I'm really enjoying this one.

Will be snapping sometime soon though if I have to spend more time going around taking photos of random things hoping to see tetris blocks though :mad:

Agreeing with you so far; I'm really enjoying this one.

Will be snapping sometime soon though if I have to spend more time going around taking photos of random things hoping to see tetris blocks though :mad:
Was that the Healing Room? * me, the closest I've been to rage quitting in any of the games. Infuriating. I think I may have used a guide for one part of it to save me from throwing the 3DS.

Thankfully, nothing else like that as far as I recall.

Was that the Healing Room? **** me, the closest I've been to rage quitting in any of the games. Infuriating. I think I may have used a guide for one part of it to save me from throwing the 3DS.

Thankfully, nothing else like that as far as I recall.

That's the one and definitely struggling with it at the moment. Fingers crossed a work day away makes it all clear as I'm getting impatient to continue on.

That's the one and definitely struggling with it at the moment. Fingers crossed a work day away makes it all clear as I'm getting impatient to continue on.
The best non-spoiler tips I can give:
  • Probably more a general tip for the whole game, but especially true for this room: if something looks even slightly out of place, it's part of the puzzle.
  • Don't wait until all the slots are open to put the keys in. You'll be waiting forever.
  • Reflections and shadows are probably the most noticeable theme running throughout the Healing Room puzzles.
  • When in doubt, take a photo of it anyway and see what happens.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back