Traded Zimmorlei Farquharson (2020-2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

Zimmorlei Farquharson achieves dream of playing for the Brisbane Lions

e0021a7407f3eb8968411a8aadc6e971

Zimmorlei Farquharson hopes playing in the AFLW will encourage other country girls to pursue their sporting dreams.

The Brisbane Lions used their first pick of the 2020 draft on the Dalby-raised teenager, who is completing her final year of school at Concordia College in Toowoomba.

“I’m not sure if I will make an impact in the AFLW but I hope I will inspire other girls from smaller regions to try to get the level that I have accomplished,” Farquharson said.

“I want girls from those small towns to continue with their sport even though it doesn’t look really big where they are.

“If they push on, they can get to the big leagues in Brisbane, the Gold Coast or interstate.”

The eighth overall draft pick, 18-year-old utility Farquharson joins the Lions AFLW team from the club’s academy, where she spent four seasons.

“I was always hopeful that the Brisbane Lions would pick me. I didn’t want to go to any other team,” she said.

Lions AFLW coach Craig Starcevich said Farquharson, who won the 2020 QAFLW premiership with Yeronga, was an “athletic and skilful” player who could be used in several positions.

“She’s had an outstanding last month as a key player in Yeronga’s charge to the QAFLW flag, and again on the weekend as the Lions’ best against the Suns in the academy game,” Starcevich said.

“We think her athleticism and versatility will be real assets for our team.”

Dream Debut Earns NAB Rising Star

220028_AFLW_Rising_Star_Article_header_Graphic_round_3_zimmi.jpg

Zimmorlei Farquharson’s electrifying AFLW debut has earnt the young forward a Rising Star nomination.

The nomination is the cherry of top of what was a dream debut for Farquharson.

The teenager put together a strong performance from the get-go, setting up a goal for teammate Jesse Wardlaw with her first touch.

A clever goal from the boundary late in the fourth quarter sealed the deal on what was an exciting debut from the Lions Academy product.

Throughout the 35-point win for the Lions, Farquharson gathered 12 disposals, 5 marks, 2 goal assists and a goal of her own.

Speaking on her debut, Farquharson said that it was a game she won't forget anytime soon.

"I'm so proud to play with this team," Farquharson said.

"It was an amazing opportunity to run out with the girls, I couldn't have imagined it."

Growing up in the regional Queensland town of Dalby, Farquharson worked her way up the AFLW pathway before being drafted to the Lions in 2020 ahead of the 2021 NAB AFLW season.

She gave a memorable performance against the Gold Coast Suns in the AFLW practice match in late December, booting three goals.

Our Brightest AFLW Stars Under 23

Long-term prospect

Drafted with pick eight - Brisbane's first - ahead of the 2021 season, it took a year before Zimmorlei Farquharson made her debut in round three of season six. In that first game she announced herself, winning 12 disposals, registering 325 metres gained and kicking a goal, and in turn earning consistent selection for the remainder of the season. Since then, Farquharson has been a reliable contributor at the Lions, but recapturing that debut form has eluded her. More recently, after a finger injury forced her out of the side, she was unable to break back into Brisbane's stacked forward line, ultimately missing November's Grand Final.

The long-term development of Farquharson is about becoming a first-21 selection - not an easy task given the riches available to coach Craig Starcevich.

Zimmie Farquharson Moved to Inactive List

The Brisbane Lions have made the difficult decision to place Zimmorlei Farquharson on the Inactive List for the 2023 AFLW Season.

Farquharson has played 17 games for the Lions across three seasons but will be unavailable for selection in season 2023.

Brisbane Lions Head of Women’s Football, Breeanna Brock, said the Club and Farquharson had come to a joint decision.

“The Club and Zimmorlei have come to the mutual decision for her to step away from the Club citing the demands of AFLW and elite level training,” she said.

“Zimmorlei is beginning an apprenticeship this year but will continue to stay in touch with the game by returning to support her local club Yeronga South Brisbane Football Club and the Queensland State League.

“Zimmorlei remains contracted to the Lions, and the Club and Zimmorlei will reassess at the completion of the 2023 AFLW season.”

The Lions will look through their available options to fill the vacant list position.

Thanks Zimmorlei Farquharson

Player_Thank_You_Graphic_Zimmie_Article_Header.jpg

The Brisbane Lions have completed a trade with the Western Bulldogs for Zimmorlei Farquharson.

The trade sees the forward become a Bulldog and in exchange the Lions receive pick 41 in the 2023 AFLW Draft.

“We would like to thank Zimmi for her contribution to the Brisbane Lions and wish her all the best with the next chapter of her career,” Brisbane Lions Head of Women’s Football, Breeanna Brock said.

Farquharson played 17 games for the Lions across three seasons before being placed on the Inactive List ahead of the 2023 NAB AFLW Season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back