Should men get more prize money than women at the Grand Slams?

Should men get more prize money at the Grand Slams?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Ruck Machine

Premiership Player
May 14, 2007
Reality
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Utah Jazz
In my opinion they should get more money as they play best of 5 sets.

The current system is unfair because men have to play longer for the same money as women. Men provide more product (therefore revenue) and should be rewarded accordingly.

My proposal would be to divide the prize money based on the average number of minutes played in the previous years corresponding Slam.

e.g. if the average womans game is 90 mins and the average mens is 120 mins the men should get 4/7 of the prize pool.

Yes.

But good luck getting anywhere with this. Positive discrimination seems to fly under the radar in this PC world for some reason.

Yes they should but not for the reason you have just stated. My opinion is that take the women out of the slams, the stadiums would still be full. Take the men out, and you would have 1/10th of the fans. There lies the issue for me. Not the sets, but fact is 99 people out of 100 see womens tennis as a joke, and want to watch the mens matches.

Yes they should but not for the reason you have just stated. My opinion is that take the women out of the slams, the stadiums would still be full. Take the men out, and you would have 1/10th of the fans. There lies the issue for me. Not the sets, but fact is 99 people out of 100 see womens tennis as a joke, and want to watch the mens matches.

evidence please.

As the game currently is, yes, for the sole fact that they play more tennis to win.

But I see no reason why women can't play best of five.

Yes they should. Joke that the women get the same amount.

Thing is, think someone has said it before in here, that if you took the women out of the draw, there'd hardly be any difference in crowd numbers/attendance. However if you take the men out, there would be AT LEAST a 25% reduction in attendances.

Men should get more. The quality of matches is much better, as whoever wins the first set in a women's match almost always wins the match. They also play longer matches and it's men's matches which are the most sought after tickets.

How about the bigger crowds at ATP events compared to WTA events, how about the fact that the mens final always rates a million times more!

You claimed it was a "fact" that 99 out of 100 see womens tennis as a joke, so surely you can provide the evidence for this.

Or is it you don't understand the meaning of he word?

It is a fact when in an ATP event you see packed houses, in a WTA event you would barely see 100 people. It is 100 times more popular than a WTA event. The ratings for a prestigious mens match would be better than any prestigious womens match.

How about the bigger crowds at ATP events compared to WTA events, how about the fact that the mens final always rates a million times more!

Ignoring this year's figures there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haha yeah. I mean the cricket goes some way to explain it, but silly call.

Cricket has always been on that Sunday though. I've been struggling to come up with an explaination for that figure unless everybody hates Djokovic and were only watching the 2008 final because of Tsonga.

Or maybe it's because the final was terrible? Worst we've had since 2003. That's the reason the ratings were so low.

Yeah, the most likely cause, still a 40-45% loss is a massive decrease. Pretty disappointing

Didn't help that 7 flogged the main courts with ordinary Australian dud matches that no-one cared about. Also didn't help that Stosur and Hewitt lost earlier than would have been ideal. Make no mistake, you need a local in the semis to rate exceptionally. Furthermore the two biggest drawcards in the mens side crashed out in the semi/quarter finals.

Given all the discussion over recent and not-so-recent years, I find it unbelievable that the women do not play a 5-set final at the grand slams. In fact, I'd have them play 5-sets from at least the semis, if not the quarters.

The question is not about whether men should get more prize money, it should be why shouldn't men get more prize money?

Every facet of women's tennis is inferior. Every single one. From the amount of tennis played, to the ability, to the revenue generated. Everything is significantly poorer.

Having said that, I'd be quite happy to pay the women more money in order to play the best of one set. Or none at all.

edit: the day women play 5 sets in a grand slam is the day I give the sport away. They already play such poor tennis comparatively speaking from a technical and athletic point of view. Can you imagine how atrocious the spectacle would be in a 5th set, where the women would become ten times slower than they already are. Then you've got the unforced errors and mental incapacity. There is no way in hell that such poor tennis should take away from the airtime that the vastly superior men's game should receive.

I think more should have been done to prevent women from getting equal pay. More male players should have made a stand, and used verifiable arguments to back that up. That extra money that women have received in recent years is money that has been taken away from the men who deserve it.

Back