Harvey gone

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sold on this at all.

Harvey had the worst injury list in our history, not sure what else he could have really done.

His recruiting has set our club up for the next 5 years at least, something we never had in the past.

What exactly did Lyon add to the Saints that most decent football supporters couldn't see was already there? Left them in shambles I know that much.

What are the chances now we hang onto our first draft pick?

Ross Lyon is a smug prick and Mark Harvey is a nice bloke. Lyon however, is the superior coach.

Thanks Harvs for all your efforts.

Decision can only be good for the future of Fremantle Football Club.

Ross Lyon is a smug prick and Mark Harvey is a nice bloke. Lyon however, is the superior coach.

Thanks Harvs for all your efforts.

Decision can only be good for the future of Fremantle Football Club.

Except that we are making Ross the highest paid coach in the AFL. We still need a good assistant. I say now that if they ruin our exciting game style I will start taking names.

Harvey had the worst injury list in our history, not sure what else he could have really done.

Not worked them into the ground causing injuries for a start?

The Longs had told me the players were not happy about this, not happy about being berated for being sore.

He dug his own grave, well and truly.

Feels good to be able to say this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In Hagdorn's article he says that Harvey had made 'discrete enquiries' about coaching in Melbourne and that Lyon's management approach Freo about coaching if Harvey left?

Admittedly will be taken with a pinch of salt due to it being a Hagdorn article!

In Hagdorn's article he says that Harvey had made 'discrete enquiries' about coaching in Melbourne and that Lyon's management approach Freo about coaching if Harvey left?

Admittedly will be taken with a pinch of salt due to it being a Hagdorn article!

Hackdorn is talking crap again, Harves and Lyon have the same Management company.

Lyon brokered this deal on his own.

Very smart cookie :thumbsu:

I assume they could sue for breach of contract, depending on the terms and conditions of his contract.

No. All these contracts are pretty well boilerplate and mandated by the AFL. To be an AFL accredited agent you must use their "boilerplate" contracts.

There would have to be some flexibility to protect the clubs (but more likely the AFL "brand") so that there aren't crippling damages or endless legal stoushes, a-la the Grant Thomas saga.

I am truly shocked to wake up and see what transpired hours ago. I am beginning to feel excited about 2012 again, whereas I didn't have that hope before.

Yes, it seems cruel to Harvey. But he will still get paid out, and he might have been sacked after 2012 anyway. Football is a business, sometimes you have to make ruthless decisions. The facts are Harvey has not proved himself to be that good. There wasn't much semblance of a decent gameplan this year, and if he is to blame for the atrocious injury toll (which was NOT bad luck), then he simply had to go. I don't think it will upset the playing group, as they didn't appear to really be playing for the coach. Players get over these things pretty quickly.

I said a month or so ago in those coaching threads that we might have to be pro-active when thinking about our senior coach. We could wait a year (which would have been understandable), but found ourselves in the same position of having a horrible injury count and an underperforming side and needing to give Harvey his marching orders. Only problem with that is so many other clubs would have changed coaches that we could have been left with nothing much to choose from. I am really surprised the club has gone on the front foot about this, but I am also going to back this decision as the right thing to do.

With this latest stunt anything short of a flag next year will be a loss.

Unless we will be content as we usually are with making up the numbers and offering a contest for some of the 100 minutes each and every week...................
crikey expectations much? You finished 11th this year.

Nice guys finish last. Thank you very much for your time at the club Mark.
I didn't think the FFC had it in them to ruthlessly pursue excellence within the footy department. Whether Lyon is that 'excellence' and if the club made the right move only time will tell.

Don't want to sound like I'm picking over the carcass, but would you guys recommend Harvs as our next coach over this way?
You should be so lucky, Dogs on fire if Harvey comes to town, he knows the type of player to draft and get the best from them. Bonus for the Doggies ;)

Not worked them into the ground causing injuries for a start?

The Longs had told me the players were not happy about this, not happy about being berated for being sore.

He dug his own grave, well and truly.

Feels good to be able to say this.

I'll give you Ballantyne, Pavlich and Hill, had niggling injuries that required time. Conolly was the worst for this though, he ruined many of our players.

The others were clearly game day mishaps that was out of his control.

Clearly people who know more about football than I do have made the decision, so we need faith.

However if I see our first draft pick traded and or our club start playing football like the Saints have in recent history I'll be furious.

At the kind of money they're throwing at him, surely a crack at Malthouse may have been worth a shot as well.

His recruiting has set our club up for the next 5 years at least, something we never had in the past.

That's the mistake many peoplee make Sabre, do you think Harv's was watching the VFL each week and spotted Barlow and Silvagni? Or that it was his idea to pick Fyfe at pick 20? Lloyd and Bond handle recruitment/drafting.

As I said previously Harvey's impact on list management since arrival has been Kepler Bradley, Mark Johnson, Solomon, McPhee and possibly Jack Anthony. Not exactly a longterm view there.

What exactly did Lyon add to the Saints that most decent football supporters couldn't see was already there? Left them in shambles I know that much.

Again, the senior coach doesn't have a lot of involvement in list management. Having late picks in compromised drafts doesn't help either.

The same was said when Harvey took over from Connolly, that all the ingredients were there for success and we finished 14th then 14th his first two years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back