Society/Culture Kony 2012

the most important people in this, the ugandans themselves saying the film is misleading and too late. they also accuse IC of doing this to amass funds.

news.com.au

As Kony is no longer in Uganda, are they the most important people? I think anyone in his vicinity and the many thousands of victims of rape, mutilation, murder or those who are displaced are the important people, regardless of national boundaries, which are really just lines on a map.

From the guy mentioned in your link- this is the longer quote, which was abbreviated in your article, and has therefore had the meaning slightly altered, nice journalism, sexes up the story a bit.
An Ugandan government spokesperson Fred Opolot said; “It is totally misleading to suggest that the war is still in Uganda. I suspect that if that’s the impression they are making, they are doing it only to garner increasing financial resources for their own agenda.”

The vid doesn't suggest the war is still in Uganda, I think Fred might have been asked to comment prior to seeing the vid. Not really an all out accusation is it. It doesn't sound like he has seen it at all.

GlennaGordon_InvisibleChildrenA.jpg

Just a reminder where the money donated to these clowns goes.

Normally when I see images of charity workers they are handing out cups of water or biscuits for starving kids to eat.

Not packing heat in "I'm a prep school w***er on safari" style photo.

GlennaGordon_InvisibleChildrenA.jpg

Just a reminder where the money donated to these clowns goes.

Normally when I see images of charity workers they are handing out cups of water or biscuits for starving kids to eat.

Not packing heat in "I'm a prep school w***er on safari" style photo.

The photo, the only one that the cynics have and use, has been explained on their website...

RE: THE PHOTO OF THE FOUNDERS WITH THE GUNS (SEE BANNER IMAGE)
A story told by Jason Russell: Let me start by saying that that photo was a bad idea. We were young and we got caught up in the moment. It was never meant to reflect on the organization. The photo of Bobby, Laren and I with the guns was taken in an LRA camp in DRC during the 2008 Juba Peace Talks. We were there to see Joseph Kony come to the table to sign the Final Peace Agreement. The Sudan People's Liberation Army (SPLA) was surrounding our camp for protection since Sudan was mediating the peace talks. We wanted to talk to them and film them and get their perspective. And because Bobby, Laren and I are friends and had been doing this for 5 years, we thought it would be funny to bring back to our friends and family a joke photo. You know, "Haha - they have bazookas in their hands but they're actually fighting for peace." The ironic thing about this photo is that I HATE guns. I always have. Back in 2008 I wanted this war to end, like we all did, peacefully, through peace talks. But Kony was not interested in that; he kept killing. And we still don't want war. We don't want him killed and we don't want bombs dropped. We want him alive and captured and brought to justice.
http://www.invisiblechildren.com.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/critiques.html

The photo, the only one that the cynics have and use, has been explained on their website...

A story told by Jason Russell: Let me start by saying that that photo was a bad idea. We were young and we got caught up in the moment. It was never meant to reflect on the organization. The photo of Bobby, Laren and I with the guns was taken in an LRA camp in DRC during the 2008 Juba Peace Talks. We were there to see Joseph Kony come to the table to sign the Final Peace Agreement. The Sudan People's Liberation Army (SPLA) was surrounding our camp for protection since Sudan was mediating the peace talks. We wanted to talk to them and film them and get their perspective. And because Bobby, Laren and I are friends and had been doing this for 5 years, we thought it would be funny to bring back to our friends and family a joke photo. You know, "Haha - they have bazookas in their hands but they're actually fighting for peace." The ironic thing about this photo is that I HATE guns. I always have. Back in 2008 I wanted this war to end, like we all did, peacefully, through peace talks. But Kony was not interested in that; he kept killing. And we still don't want war. We don't want him killed and we don't want bombs dropped. We want him alive and captured and brought to justice.
http://www.invisiblechildren.com.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/critiques.html

Ahhhh, the old "I was only joking" defence. It explains so much more than you think.

Do you work for these guys?

Give it up already. They've been exposed as crocks, and you can argue till you're blue in the face, but it won't change.

Trying to justify the fact you took their BS hook, line and sinker are you?

"hahah let's all pull a blue steel and look tough". "Civil war's a worthy of a joke". :rolleyes:

Whilst the idea is noble, the expenditure of IC just displays how self serving they are. You cannot argue with the figures.

What IF Kony isn't caught?

What IF cancer is never cured? Waste of money? Or Alzheimers? Don't donate at all?

I believe through this thread, IC isn't the best charity around at all, but why on earth criticize us for donating a samll amount to this particular event? At least we are....you could donate to another charity instead of accusing everyone of "trying to be cool" for getting involved in the Kony cause. And fwiw I haven't shared, or posted on fb anything about Joseph Kony. The only thing I've done is buy a wrist band! MAN ALIVE!! and it's for the sane reason you guys haven't I don't want to be seen as a bandwagoner because I didn't have any idea as I should of about Kony

here, here's a good charity for you to donate if you will

://www.timtebowfoundation.org/

What IF cancer is never cured? Waste of money? Or Alzheimers? Don't donate at all?

I believe through this thread, IC isn't the best charity around at all, but why on earth criticize us for donating a samll amount to this particular event? At least we are....you could donate to another charity instead of accusing everyone of "trying to be cool" for getting involved in the Kony cause. And fwiw I haven't shared, or posted on fb anything about Joseph Kony. The only thing I've done is buy a wrist band! MAN ALIVE!! and it's for the sane reason you guys haven't I don't want to be seen as a bandwagoner because I didn't have any idea as I should of about Kony

As long as you don't mind being force fed the bible.

Ahhhh, the old "I was only joking" defence. It explains so much more than you think.

The photo seems to be so important to the critics, another reason to bring someone down, to ignore their goodwill and good work, well they have explained it, it was a stupid mistake, they admit that.

Do you work for these guys?

Give it up already. They've been exposed as crocks, and you can argue till you're blue in the face, but it won't change.

Trying to justify the fact you took their BS hook, line and sinker are you?

When have they been exposed as crocks? Do you jump to conclusions all the time? Every criticism made of them can be explained, but thanks for your well thought out contribution to the debate. You seem to be so well informed and articulate, you have done a great job broadening the discussion.

FWIW, I haven't made a contribution to IC but I think it is great that others are.

"hahah let's all pull a blue steel and look tough". "Civil war's a worthy of a joke". :rolleyes:

Whilst the idea is noble, the expenditure of IC just displays how self serving they are. You cannot argue with the figures.

What IF Kony isn't caught?

The expenditure figures make sense for anyone who understands that this is a charity that is not about feeding the children, it is about creating awareness. Different type of charity to World Vision, different set of expenses.

Well said. I just don't understand all the negatives either. It is easy to be negative and offer no positive contribution to the world.

The expenditure figures make sense for anyone who understands that this is a charity that is not about feeding the children, it is about creating awareness. Different type of charity to World Vision, different set of expenses.

I understand what IC is. I have listened to their mission statement. I have watched Kony 2012. I am not naive about how charities work. Yes, the Kony 2012 movement is different to World Vision. IC's ultimate aim is to capture and bring to justice Kony.
The expenditure IS very self serving no matter how you slice it or want to rationlise it. They do not have open books. The founders are living big on people's sincere desire to help.
I am sceptical of this mouse click movement, not cynical.

Do "Action Packs" help?

What are they going to do with ALL the money they plead for? Take the kids out on jet ski's on Lake Victoria?

I think it's unfair of you to label people 'negative' who question the entire Kony 2012 movement.

Is it the best way to help Uganda?

I understand what IC is. I have listened to their mission statement. I have watched Kony 2012. I am not naive about how charities work. Yes, the Kony 2012 movement is different to World Vision. IC's ultimate aim is to capture and bring to justice Kony.
The expenditure IS very self serving no matter how you slice it or want to rationlise it. They do not have open books. The founders are living big on people's sincere desire to help.
I am sceptical of this mouse click movement, not cynical.

Do "Action Packs" help?

What are they going to do with ALL the money they plead for? Take the kids out on jet ski's on Lake Victoria?

I think it's unfair of you to label people 'negative' who question the entire Kony 2012 movement.

Is it the best way to help Uganda?

Fair points there Bowie, I am not intending to label all who disagree with my pov as negative or cynical, that is more directed at those whose limited contributions extend to comments such as keyboard warrior etc. Your contributions on this board don't seem to be too negative or cynical but some of your posts on other boards are a little piss weak. Many charities do not have open books, I hope as IC becomes larger, they will address these issues. One of the reasons they were given a 2 out of 4 star rating from one of the charity ratings groups was due to the lack of a 5 th board member, something there are working to correct. I don't have an issue with skepticism and questions, but surely you would agree that some of the negative feedback is just negative whiny rubbish.

Do the action packs help? I would say yes. Many who criticise, suggest, probably correctly too, that many of the Facebook likers will forget about this in a small amount of time, so the action pack will obviously help the campaign maintain awareness with many.

Is this the best way to help Uganda (and the rest of sub Saharan Africa)... No, but it is raising awareness in a new way and reaching a broader audience than before. The campaign is indirectly raising awareness of many of the problems in Africa, child soldiers, warlords, rape, murder. Through this awareness, we can only hope that we see more action.

I do not in any way think IC is perfect, but many other charities and causes also have their detractors...do world vision really need to stroke my ego and make me think that my monthly contribution is really ending up helping one specific child in Uganda? could that money be better used? Do I really need a card each Christmas? (btw, I think wv is great and do a wonderful job, just showing examples of criticism of charities and their methods exist).

Where is all that money going to go? Well, some of it wil cover costs of campaigns, the rest of it I presume will end up somewhere in Africa, rebuilding, educating, helping...but again, who knows, only time will tell, then maybe we will be in a better position to judge these people, their motives and sincerity.

I really like that this charity has gained the attention of many of our youth who have previously not done much in the way of thinking about the world and what goes on beyond their neighborhoods. That is a fantastic result.

I really like that this charity has gained the attention of many of our youth who have previously not done much in the way of thinking about the world and what goes on beyond their neighborhoods. That is a fantastic result.

Unfortunately the attention will not be captured for long.

I think these guys (IC) have their heart in the right place but I just don't agree with their plan of action. Seriously, how can anyone, after watching the disasters of Afghanistan and Iraq unfold over the past decade, think that U.S. military intervention in Uganda is a good idea?

Also I don't think that providing financial support for the local military, who have supposedly committed some fairly abhorent crimes themselves, is the way to go either.

The empowerment theme is cleverly used in the video and it will no doubt convince many to donate to IC. But when you actually consider 'the plan' (as opposed to the cause), in conjunction with IC's massive 'overheads', it seems like your charity dollars could be much better spent elsewhere.

Unfortunately the attention will not be captured for long.

I think these guys (IC) have their heart in the right place but I just don't agree with their plan of action. Seriously, how can anyone, after watching the disasters of Afghanistan and Iraq unfold over the past decade, think that U.S. military intervention in Uganda is a good idea?

Also I don't think that providing financial support for the local military, who have supposedly committed some fairly abhorent crimes themselves, is the way to go either.

The empowerment theme is cleverly used in the video and it will no doubt convince many to donate to IC. But when you actually consider 'the plan' (as opposed to the cause), in conjunction with IC's massive 'overheads', it seems like your charity dollars could be much better spent elsewhere.

The thing I like about the plan is the follow up the have for April. At least then it will be more than a one week event. Whether you like IC or not, it has exposed many people to some of the nastier issues in Africa and has made many people more aware of the world around them. This is a good thing.

The military involvement question is a difficult one, the US could help with logistical support, rather than a military conflict like Iraq and Afghanistan.

Sure the money probably could be better spent elsewhere, no doubt, but how much of the money that IC is collecting would have actually made it to another charity? I suspect not much.

Whether you like IC or not, it has exposed many people to some of the nastier issues in Africa and has made many people more aware of the world around them. This is a good thing.

That is a big positive. The world should be more aware and it is a good thing that a small portion of the brutal reality of what happens in sub-Saharan Africa has been exposed.

Best way to sum this all up is , You go to church and you go to confess your sins, some people know they are being lectured in confessional by a bloke screwing half of the church choir and some people don't.

huffington post article on Kony 2012.

Neo-colonialism.
Over to you, Racialicious:
"...The way the campaign is presented–led by a white man’s voice, with groups of predominantly white American activists juxtaposed with survivors/victims who are African–paints a picture of neo-colonialism."
The Atlantic's Max Fisher adds that the campaign "subtly reinforces an idea that has been one of Africa's biggest disasters: that well-meaning Westerners need to come in and fix it."
Meanwhile, Musa Okwongo, a commentator for The Independent, take issue with the film's overly simplistic approach and failure to hold Uganda's President Yoweri Museveni accountable. He writes:
"Invisible Children asked viewers to seek the engagement of American policymakers and celebrities, but – and this is a major red flag – it didn’t introduce them to the many Northern Ugandans already doing fantastic work both in their local communities and in the diaspora. It didn’t ask its viewers to seek diplomatic pressure on President Museveni’s administration."​
Foreign Affairs also points out US-based advocacy groups' exaggeration of Joseph Kony as a uniquely evil figure. "They rarely refer to the Ugandan atrocities or those of Sudan's People's Liberation Army, such as attacks against civilians or looting of civilian homes and businesses, or the complicated regional politics fueling the conflict," the magazine writes.

Further to the discussion. Would IC have imagined such a backlash?

huffington post article on Kony 2012.

Further to the discussion. Would IC have imagined such a backlash?

It's a bit rough to criticise the film for not being detailed enough...it would stretch it out an hour, two, twenty if you wanted to cover everything in enough detail...but would people watch that. Already on big footy I have seen people comment that they won't watch it due to the half hour length. So a long, drawn out but appropriately detailed account would in fact achieve no awareness raising beyond probably the friends and family of the producers, who may feel obliged to watch it. I don't recall the vid ever proclaiming to be the one stop shop for all information regarding Africa, it doesn't intend to be, nor is that possible.

I don't think IC would have anticipated the level of negative or positive response. I think this has become bigger than they could have imagined.

When have they been exposed as crocks?

more likely, they are 100% on the up, and legit.

I just pose the chance, their video has been used by "others".

I put a link to a lecture from an Al Jazeera guy and his study on how the Iranian election kerfuffle was trumpeted on twitter, but from folks with accounts in US cosmopolitan cities :rolleyes:

tc[YOUTUBE]euXQbZDwV0w[/YOUTUBE]

So this uganda right? these people don't like kony right? and we are training them , right? and invisible children want us to help them more , right?
So Is Kony gay and/or invisible children a front for those evangelical americans fundementaly opposed to homosexuality?

Well acoording to reports Kony is down to 200 fighters....and that only 32% of revenue goes to uganda and if the latest NBS ineview aired yesterday is to go by they (invisible children) are not interesting in discussion only projecting a media line....

well?

Such attention on a seriously complex problem is a good thing, but I wonder how long peoples attention will last on this issue? I also wonder if the millions that have jumped on board this campaign are still doing so when Africa becomes a war zone not for the purpose of capturing Kony, but for the purpose of plundering their natural resources including oil.

Kony is a dangerous criminal who must be captured. I hope that we can send a un envoy so that we can have a mutual dialogue with him.

Back