Adam Cooney

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he's contracted for next year, but im pretty much certain he'll retire after that.

It's such a damn shame for us. We've missed his best a lot.

It appears his knee wont allow him to play midfield anymore and for the most part has struggled in the forward line. How long can he continue to play if his form does not improve. Does anyone think he might have to retire early, would be terrible but how much longer can he play for?
It's less a form issue and more a cruelled by injury issue. Feel bad for him and the bullies. Cooney and Griffen running around at 100% would be awesome with the amount of inside players they have.

Was unbelievable during his Brownlow year, but injuries how now taken a toll, can't see him going on after his current contract is up. A damn shame, great player and genuine good bloke.

Looked a shadow of his former self today, seems his best is past him. He didn't even look effective as a permanent forward.

This might sound odd but if he retires in the next year it will mean he's still played 10 years which is more than double the average AFL player. Throw in the Brownlow and the prelims and he'd be fairly happy with his career.

His manager was apparently in Perth talking to WAFL clubs... doesn't bode well.
I doubt that highly. His family is settled in Melbourne, and on top of that he's from SA, so I see no reason why he would be going to WA. He's still contracted as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wish something could be done to help his knee, but from what I've heard it's pretty much bone on bone.
Such a damn shame as he is still very young and will have this injury for life.

He played some good games early in the year and hopefully it can still be managed. If it means a month off in the middle of the season or something like that?

Didn't McLeod have a similar issue for a long time?

I think these days blokes are absolutely run into the ground pre season and all that running and load on his knees has not helped. They are severely over trained on the track.... Sadly its a major factor in my opinion as to why he is screwed now....

Real shame, loved watching Cooney at his best and he's very important for the Dogs. Should hypothetically be in his prime years but can't even seem to have a big impact playing up forward.

I think they should just give him a couple of games off when his form heavily wanes and reduce his training load. Just try to manage him and then talk about his future at the end of 2013. He had a crap game today but still definitely has a place in the Dogs side judging on a couple of games this season.

Must be hard for him, feel for the bloke.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back