NRL's $1 billion deal in shatters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The attacking team has used up its tackles, they have nothing to lose. If they knock on they lose nothing, yet they still won't put their hands above their heads even though it could lead to a try.

They don't do it because these big tough guys are too scared to expose their ribs and cop a knee there. League just isn't a game that requires courage.

That er.....does happen quite often. Poor you.

Great game. Oh, I'm a born and bred Victorian. Something must be wrong with me....

Last nights game was great, Jumped on the Queensland bandwagon and was out of my chair when Cronk dobbed that field goal! Question to my league friends was has anything been made of the grounds condition? Looked like they were running around on a paddock with guys constantly slipping.

I wonder what the crowds for NRL will be like the next few weeks?? I predict a small peak than a large drop off. (People will check out the game after the thrilling SoO and then leave pnce they realise it was a one off).

Last nights match had it been Union would have slotted just behind the England/Australia final. It had everything that a rugby league match could possibly have, literally. There is nothing else that could have made it more exciting.

For all those saying it was the greatest league match ever ... you may well be right. I doubt ill watch any SoO (other than a decider) if they decide to put ads in. Does anyone have a count of how many ads would have been shown last night???

Last nights game was great, Jumped on the Queensland bandwagon and was out of my chair when Cronk dobbed that field goal! Question to my league friends was has anything been made of the grounds condition? Looked like they were running around on a paddock with guys constantly slipping.

No one has talked about it but it waant the greatest, you could see the players studs were clogged up after a few minutes.

A one off? You do realise there are three games right.

Deal is definitely in shatters.

Three games yes. The third match though had a number of things go right in order to reach those high ratings:

1. Queensland going for 7 straight (next year is the same ...8)
2. A decider in the third match (doesnt happen every year)
3. A very close match for most of it (rarely happens)
4. Both teams very evenly matched for the whole series (doesnt always happen)
5. Media hype greater than usual (cannot be sustained)

If those are replicated next year, then yes that audience figure will be beaten .... but i doubt they will.

One game will not alter the offer from the tv companies.

That figure is insane.

Regardless of available slots for advertising a game rating that highly is just invaluable in providing a halo effect for other shows. Not to mention how important it is simply in the bragging rights of the weekly, yearly and all-time Oztam charts.

Without having watched it I'm sure there were plenty of cross promotion adverts in game plugging The Big Bang Theory, Howzat and the Olympics.

When you consider that the most recent Sunday NRL game barely cracked 300 000 average they should seriously consider playing a best of 5 series.

Will be fascinating to compare that four million figure to the NRL grand final, especially if there is no Melbourne team.

A one off? You do realise there are three games right.

Deal is definitely in shatters.

That's right, it's only 3 games.

In the meantime the NRL competition is reduced to a pub comp while SOO runs.

I'm all in favour of the NRL retaining a 3 game series - works a treat - guarantees that the game cannot grow outside of NSW and Qld.

Need to remember the timeslot it's played in guys, it's played in midweek primetime, ratings heaven, the SOO timeslot averages over 1 million pretty much no matter what they play in it, compare that to a saturday arvo timeslot that averages around 300k, in other words play SOO on a saturday arvo and watch the rating go south at a rapid rate, it's the same reason the networks have been begging the AFL for a night GF fixture.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The trouble with that logic is the fact that the origin ratings have steadily increased for at least the past 5 years based on the Metro figures, so its not a "one off".

These increases will definitely alter the dollars being offered by the tv stations, particularly if it is sold off in a stand alone deal. A guaranteed ratings win for 3 weeks is worth paying for. Its just a matter of how much.

It must be said though that the SOO is as much a "TV Event", as a rugby league game. The same can probably be said for the AFL GF, the NRL GF and Aussie Open final. People will just watch it because its on, regardless of whether they really follow the game or not. I'll watch the Hawks and the Eels every week, but I have mates who'll watch 4-5 RL games a week, and the only AFL game they watch each year is the GF.

The trouble with that logic is the fact that the origin ratings have steadily increased for at least the past 5 years based on the Metro figures, so its not a "one off".

These increases will definitely alter the dollars being offered by the tv stations, particularly if it is sold off in a stand alone deal. A guaranteed ratings win for 3 weeks is worth paying for. Its just a matter of how much.

It must be said though that the SOO is as much a "TV Event", as a rugby league game. The same can probably be said for the AFL GF, the NRL GF and Aussie Open final. People will just watch it because its on, regardless of whether they really follow the game or not. I'll watch the Hawks and the Eels every week, but I have mates who'll watch 4-5 RL games a week, and the only AFL game they watch each year is the GF.

The AFL GF timeslot is against the culture of the entire country, there's a reason old tarzan movies are shown on a saturday arvo, and that reason is no ones bloody home, saturday is a family day (if people aren't working), i've had to work the last 4 GFs for instance and i know i'm not the only one.

Here are the figures from Oztam

Ch 9 gets 400k for any program they show at prime time during the week.

Just waiting for the day when the AFL GF is played at night in prime time to see how massive the figures would be.

The nRL dont get the benefit of this amount of people watching TV for free translating into attending regular games in fact it effects the nRL bading because it looks second rate to SOO.

Queensland’s one-point victory to secure seven State of Origin series wins in a row has helped the Nine Network notch a new TV ratings record for the rugby league showpiece.
Around 2.62 million viewers in Australia’s five capital cities tuned in for the Suncorp decider, according to OzTam, while nationally it had an average audience of 4.04 million.
The metro audience peaked at 3.23 million, while the national audience peak at 4.82 million.
The metro figure included 1.186 million in Sydney, 406,000 in Melbourne, 866,000 in Brisbane, 67,000 in Adelaide and 99,000 in Perth. The Game III figure received a bigger audience in both Sydney and Brisbane.

Also when people say SOO is up against MC-the voice etc etc, people are much more likely to record those shows if they're interested in them to watch a live sporting event.

So the biggest game of rugby league ever can only attract 400,000 in Victoria, 60,000 in both Perth and Adelaide.

This proves once more that rugby league is not a national game. No way it will get anywhere near a billion.

The AFL GF timeslot is against the culture of the entire country, there's a reason old tarzan movies are shown on a saturday arvo, and that reason is no ones bloody home, saturday is a family day (if people aren't working), i've had to work the last 4 GFs for instance and i know i'm not the only one.

So under this bizzare logic, an old tarzan movie shown at 8pm Wednesday night would rate its ar$e off??

So the biggest game of rugby league ever can only attract 400,000 in Victoria, 60,000 in both Perth and Adelaide.

This proves once more that rugby league is not a national game. No way it will get anywhere near a billion.

They got close to a million in Melbourne for one of the Storms GFs, Swans got close to a million in Sydney for the 05 GF, each code need a Melbourne-Sydney rep to get the monster ratings, although a Collingwood V Westcoast Broncos V Sydneys biggest team would rate similar overall.

So the bigest game of AFL in 2011 only attracted 262,00 in Sydney. This proves once more that AFL is not a national game.

Explain to me how 400k in Melbourne is a bad result, but 262k in Sydney is a good result? I just ned to understand the logic behind your arguement.

It would rate a hell of a lot better than it would on a saturday arvo mate.

More than likely. In any case, we are really just throwing darts at a dart board trying to figure out how the AFL GF would rate if it were pushed back a few hours because we just won't know until if/when the timeslot change is actually made. I honestly don't think it would change too much because, as I said earlier, it is an EVENT, and people know when the game is and will plan specifically around it. At least during the day the kids and oldies can watch it. An 8pm kick off has already lost a reasonable amount of audience as they have gone to bed. So it may well even itself out.

If you were talking about a regular season game I'd be with you 100%.

A whopping 67,000 in Adelaide. Lower than game two's ratings here. :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back