AFL's rubbery white shorts policy

Remove this Banner Ad

The other option is for the AFL to declare a default clash uniform that applies to all clubs. Make it something hideous like light green with pink polka-dots. If the away team can't come up with a sensible non-clashing jumper then they wear light green and pink. No excuses, no exceptions.
That's what the Eastern Football League do here in Melbourne - they have an uncomfortable and ugly set of jumpers available for all clubs to use if they have a clash that can't be resolved.

Their definition of clash is a bit different though - obviously no tv...

*BUMP*

My predictions of this weeks clashes (or lack thereof)

NORTH vs CALRTON: North home/white, Carlton home/navy. Although I would not be surprised if North had the blue shorts while Carlton were forced to wear white.

PORT vs BOMBERS: Interesting one, Port home/back, Dons Home/White (unless either a) Bombers have a new grey clash or red shorts, or b) Port are forced to wear white shorts or clash while Bombers "don" their home kit)

DEMONS vs DOCKERS: Melbourne home/navy, Freo clash/white.

TIGERS vs COLD TOAST: Tigers home/black, GCS Away/Red.

GEELONG vs MAGPIES: Geelong home/white, Collingwood home/black. Doubt Pies will wear their braces clash, never had to in past vs Geelong so why now.

LIONS vs SAINTS: Lion home/maroon, Saints home/white. Saints may also wear their clash, but then again they haven't in the past so why now.

GWS vs ADELAIDE: GWS home/charcoal, Crows, clash/white, or Home/white.

WCE vs SWANS: WCE home/navy, Swans home/red. WCE may even wear away/blue, even though it's their home game.

BULLDOGS vs HAWTHORN: Bulldogs home/blue, Hawks home/white. Doubt that Hawks would need to wear clash jumper. (Then again, Collingwood had to...)

*BUMP*

My predictions of this weeks clashes (or lack thereof)

NORTH vs CALRTON: North home/white, Carlton home/navy. Although I would not be surprised if North had the blue shorts while Carlton were forced to wear white.

PORT vs BOMBERS: Interesting one, Port home/back, Dons Home/White (unless either a) Bombers have a new grey clash or red shorts, or b) Port are forced to wear white shorts or clash while Bombers "don" their home kit)

DEMONS vs DOCKERS: Melbourne home/navy, Freo clash/white.

TIGERS vs COLD TOAST: Tigers home/black, GCS Away/Red.

GEELONG vs MAGPIES: Geelong home/white, Collingwood home/black. Doubt Pies will wear their braces clash, never had to in past vs Geelong so why now.

LIONS vs SAINTS: Lion home/maroon, Saints home/white. Saints may also wear their clash, but then again they haven't in the past so why now.

GWS vs ADELAIDE: GWS home/charcoal, Crows, clash/white, or Home/white.

WCE vs SWANS: WCE home/navy, Swans home/red. WCE may even wear away/blue, even though it's their home game.

BULLDOGS vs HAWTHORN: Bulldogs home/blue, Hawks home/white. Doubt that Hawks would need to wear clash jumper. (Then again, Collingwood had to...)

The Pies an Geelong have a deal that no matter who is home Collingwood wear home jumper with black shorts and Geelong wear home jumper with white shorts

You know it's funny, in Adelaide's first AFL game at Football Park, they were home kit with blue shorts, and Hawthorn wore their home kit (of the day) with brown shorts!

Also in the 1989 GF, both Cats and Hawks had "home" shorts (Cats blue, Hawks brown). Makes you wonder why such logic isn't still used.

Dons will their grey clash. I doubt Hawthorn will wear their clash. They tend to only wear it interstate (except against Carlton). We chose to wear our's this year.

The Pies an Geelong have a deal that no matter who is home Collingwood wear home jumper with black shorts and Geelong wear home jumper with white shorts

it's bloody absurd considering the COL & GEE colours and the front of their guernseys are one of the closest similarities in the league.

This thread does highlight the need for West coast to scrap our rubbish tri-colour jumper.

We should run our current blue jumper, a navy blue version, a yellow peril version and a white version with blue wings with yellow trim for games against the likes of Richmond.

This thread does highlight the need for West coast to scrap our rubbish tri-colour jumper.

We should run our current blue jumper, a navy blue version, a yellow peril version and a white version with blue wings with yellow trim for games against the likes of Richmond.

it's a rubbish jumper, more so because the back of it is predominantly navy blue due to the number block which needs to fit in the huge numbers. it wipes out the banding/panel design on most of the back of the guernsey and navy blue ends up making up over half up over a half it. this is not just a WCE home guernsey problem, but a problem with other clubs guernseys too. the front of it in comparison is only 1/3 navy. it gives the jumper a difference appearance from front and back.

the royal blue with wings is a classic though. a wonderful strip whether teamed up with the blue or white shorts.

it's a rubbish jumper, more so because the back of it is predominantly navy blue due to the number block which needs to fit in the huge numbers. it wipes out the banding/panel design on most of the back of the guernsey and navy blue ends up making up over half up over a half it. this is not just a WCE home guernsey problem, but a problem with other clubs guernseys too. the front of it in comparison is only 1/3 navy. it gives the jumper a difference appearance from front and back.

the royal blue with wings is a classic though. a wonderful strip whether teamed up with the blue or white shorts.
90% of West Coast fans agree with you

I agree, Collingwood seem to exempt from all rules for some reason.

I actually just made a thread about this (in the wrong part of the forum too *doh!!*) here: http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/posts/24624731/

Didn't realise this one had been made.

It is crap that Freo have to wear white. Why cant the Bombers wear Red shorts?
They did wear red shorts at some point.

Leave it as it is. Home shorts for the home team and White shorts for the away team. Keep the tradition.

In terms of clash jumpers, I've always thought that if you can reverse the colours jumpers it would almost have one team as "light" and the other "dark"

Carlton in all Navy, North in home with white. Good too see some logic once again.

On the WCE jumpers, if the current home is not ditched then the fans should push for it to be ditched. As mentioned before it has no cultural heritage to either the fans or the club. They have never worn it at a Grand Final or won a premiership in it.

They need to:
a) Adopt the royal away as their home, or
b) adopt a navy version of the royal away as their home
c) scrap the current clash and adopt yellow peril as their clash or a "white peril"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So we know that the old home/away rule is a thing of the past. The AFL has explained that the new rule to determine which team wears the white shorts is based on the premise that the AFL wants to avoid adding white to a uniform that does not already contain white. Consequently, when Essendon travels to Perth to play Fremantle, the AFL has decided that the purple and white Dockers should wear the white shorts rather than the red and black Bombers. I wonder if anyone from AFL HQ would care to explain why on the very same day, the blue and gold Eagles are wearing white shorts playing against the black and WHITE Magpies.

This is an area where the EPL has a much better approach than us. Their rule is basically "Home teams wear whatever they want, away teams wear something different or forfeit."

They have the same agreement with us and Hawthorn iirc.

Didn't know about that one, I suppose it means Saints wear home/white and Hawks home/brown every match?

I think set combinations need to be set, just like Cats and Collingwood, regardless of the venue.

Didn't know about that one, I suppose it means Saints wear home/white and Hawks home/brown every match?

I think set combinations need to be set, just like Cats and Collingwood, regardless of the venue.
No, we wear home/black and they wear home/white. It's been like that for every game since 08 or 09 (maybe earlier).

I think they have the same thing with Hawthorn but I'm not sure.

It just works well for Geelong because their home jumper + white shorts looks better than their home + navy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back