What an ordinary season of footy

Remove this Banner Ad

The ladder should be an accurate indication of the strength of teams, there should be no doubt about where a club has finished on the ladder.

When has this ever happened? Every year there is the same complaints.

What rubbish.

Just go back 2 months and look at everyone's top 8 predictions and how accurate they were due to the competitiveness of so many teams this year.

I'm not surprised it's the Geelong fans who have left this season with a bitter taste in their mouth, the season probably would feel ordinary when there was really only a 6 week period of positivity for your club.

Disagree... Maybe it is because of the position my team is in.

Had some games to remember - Geelong v Hawks x 2, Essendon v Collingwood, Syd v Hawks etc.

First time since 2006 Geelong won't be in the final four, and even with the cats being my second team, that is good for football.

We saw Gold Coast play much more competitive. Even if they didn't get the W's, played some good footy. Knocked off Richmond and Carlton.

Saw GWS do the unthinkable, and knock off Port.

The final 8 this year saw three teams play finals which not many would have picked to be there (even by fans).

We have seen a bunch of the youngsters take their games to a new level, ala Cotchin, Dangerfield and Beams.

Plus we have had a range of off field dramas which always keeps the season interesting (Malthouse to Carlton, drug scandals etc)

The Coleman went down the the very last day in the h&a season.

All this, and I still think any team left can win the flag!!

One of the best seasons in recent memories IMO. Better than last year with Collingwood v Geelong set in stone after round 3.

Funny this thread was started by a Geelong supporter after week 1 of the finals after the Cats got knocked out. Why wasn't this started prior to the weekend, or when the season actually concludes in three weeks?

All personal opinion I suppose. Still few more games to go and I am still bloody excited!

The ladder should be an accurate indication of the strength of teams, there should be no doubt about where a club has finished on the ladder.

Can't see how it was too far out of whack. The finals where teams separated on the ladder went as expected (1st beat 4th, 5th beat 8th). The games where teams were next to each other went the other way (3rd beat 2nd, 7th beat 6th), but that is hardly a massive difference. And the teams that missed the 8 simply weren't good enough (they finished 2 wins out).

It's all to do what your club is doing.

In 2010 we had a shocking year but I also saw a lot of improvement looming at the scores did show but I saw lots of times were our young players matched teams towards end of the year partically vs geelong I was started to get excited despite all the negativity on our board, and then came draft day gaff and darling I knew we were going to make finals the year after.

I went down to a scratch match dockets vs eagles in 2011 pre season and I saw the players were on a new level I was sure that we were finals bound but not top 4.

2011 was another huge rise for my club which was exciting, watched all matches to see how good we can get.

In 2012 I lost interest I knew we were good then injuries started coming which put blows onto our flag chances I just wanted it to be September already because we were shoe ins for finals so I could start getting excited to see how far we can get.

Now op is a Geelong supporter who had a great 5 year period now the inevitable fall is here I'm not surprised in the slightest that you have lost interest, you probably went into this season thinking there will be no flag since your team has been in the race for 5 years the fall is boring.

Sour Grapes by the OP. Probably thinks the Premiership has been decided already due to the odds. Just like Saturday night, the odds aren't always right

The H&A season was generally pretty good with most teams being competitive and a lot of close exciting games. There were a few boring blow outs against the weaker teams but that happens most seasons.

Not sure the finals series will be quite as good or competitive, the first week of finals was a bit disappointing without any genuinely close games and Hawthorn look the stand out team without any genuine challengers. I wouldn't be surprised if the Hawks won both their prelim and the GF comfortably, although hopefully there will be some good close finals before the season is over.

i've been thoroughly entertained, as i am every season. gws have brought in a new, exciting team, gold coast steadily improving, some great moments (buddy's thirteen, hawkins' goal after the siren vs hawks, just to name 2), team with exciting futures, exciting players, exciting games. not every game can be a blockbuster, but footy's footy. i'll always enjoy each season and not look for the worst in absolutely everything to do with it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got to love some of the hindsight on this thread:
- People talking up Port's improvement (they sacked their coach mid season FFS!!!)
- People talkiong up the competitiveness of the expansion sides (won 5 games between them and at one stage GWS had put together the worst 5 or so weeks in the history of football)
- People saying it is sour grapes (my club haven't been competitive for close to a decade so that is also irrelevant)

I found last years Geeelong-Collingwood saga infinitely more enjoyable which culminated in an epic prelim and a grand final that I have no doubt will be far beyond anything that can be replicated this year.

Can't get exicted about any possible GF match up this year - Hawthorn - Collingwood the best result - would prefer Hawthorn - Freo which is now impossible.

- People talking up Port's improvement (they sacked their coach mid season FFS!!!)
You're just bitter :rolleyes:
453662-power-v-carlton.jpg

Port 14.15 (99) to Carlton 6.9 (45)

- People talkiong up the competitiveness of the expansion sides (won 5 games between them and at one stage GWS had put together the worst 5 or so weeks in the history of football)
- People saying it is sour grapes (my club haven't been competitive for close to a decade so that is also irrelevant)

I found last years Geeelong-Collingwood saga infinitely more enjoyable which culminated in an epic prelim and a grand final that I have no doubt will be far beyond anything that can be replicated this year.

Can't get exicted about any possible GF match up this year - Hawthorn - Collingwood the best result - would prefer Hawthorn - Freo which is now impossible.
Tend to agree with everything you say.

Although I still enjoyed this year with some very interesting events.

I do agree that with GC and GWS virtually non-competitive and Melb and Port pretty useless as well, there really were only 4-6 games a round each week worth watching. Expect this will change back to the customary 1 or 2 once the new clubs improve.

I do agree that with GC and GWS virtually non-competitive and Melb and Port pretty useless as well, there really were only 4-6 games a round each week worth watching. Expect this will change back to the customary 1 or 2 once the new clubs improve.

Correct - this was the first season I can remember when there would be 3 matches on some days and none of them would be worth watching.

The Carlton saga this year cannot be beat.

They only finished on top by percentage!

Your wasting your breath. It doesn't matter who gets up and wins the GF, Geelong supporters will denigrate it as being the softest win ever because there was no real stand out team this season like they were in previous seasons.

Funny that you say the best of last year was the prelim and grand final, which have yet to be played in 2012!

We could have an epic Sydney v West Coast prelim for all anyone knows.

Also Sydney and Hawks are 1-1 this year with their last game being one of the season.

Hawks v Sydney could be the grand final of the millennium.

Premature thread is premature.

Great season between the top 8 sides. But from round 10 onwards it was quite clear who wasn't up for it. The fact that only 3-4 games separated 1st and 8th says a lot. But the gap between the groups 18th-14th and 8th-13th is a bad sign for the league.

But overall the quality of football between top teams has been great. I don't think I've seen two football sides work as hard as Sydney and Hawthorn in 2012. They have set the new standard of greatness and what is required in this league.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back