2012 draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we ended up with #12 + #14

I would pull the trigger and go Garlett & Stringer ----- Both have massive upside and could be the Franklin,Roughead equivelant but in the midfield/foward type.

Both Players could rotate through the midfield & foward line - Automatic inclusions, replacing Nahas & Tuck/Jackson

If we ended up with #12 + #14

I would pull the trigger and go Garlett & Stringer ----- Both have massive upside and could be the Franklin,Roughead equivelant but in the midfield/foward type.

Both Players could rotate through the midfield & foward line - Automatic inclusions, replacing Nahas & Tuck/Jackson

To be honest, I think we need a pure inside, not another inside/out. We are well acquitted in that area. We have Cotchin, Conca, Martin and sometimes even Deledio who play that role, would rather Wines/Vlastuin.

Wines will be gone by our selection - Melbourne bound from all reports
Vlastuin - Im not really convinced he is ''Up there'' with the A graders tbh, Both Stringer & Garlett look like players that can just Tear a game apart -- Im happy to select the workman with #31 & #33
and take X-Factors with #12+#14

Vlastuin - Im not really convinced he is ''Up there'' with the A graders tbh, Both Stringer & Garlett look like players that can just Tear a game apart -- Im happy to select the workman with #31 & #33

agreed

12- Stringer
14- Garlett
31- Hrovat
33- Broomhead

Why I think we should be doing everything in our power to get 12 + 14 off GWS.

Elite Category of the draft: (No specific order) 1-3
Whitfield
Grundy
Toumpas

Very good category: (No specific order) 4-13
Mayes
O'Rourke
Macrae
Garner
Wines
Menzel
Plowman
Vlastuin
Garlett
Stringer

Good category: (No specific order.) 15-24
McBean
Kennedy
Shaw
Smith
Membrey
Clurey
Lonergan
Broomhead
Simpson
Jaksch

As you can see, that very good category is very very very open. We would be happy if we got any one of them at 9. The thing is, we could get two of them at 12 + 14. The range of 4-14 is so close that you could put a blanket over it. A club may rate a player at 4 whilst another has him in the early teens. So why wouldn't we go hard for it?

Imagine having say BOTH Vlastuin and Garlett instead of just one. It would be a dream.
That would be awesome. Definitely possible to get both with 12 + 14, especially since Essendon has already used pick 10. Most people seem to think Vlaustin will go around 15 anyway so instead of taking him with 9, we can get him at 12 and basically get a free player with 14! Add in some good players with 29 and 31 and we could have an excellent trade/FA/draft period.

Just have to pull you up on this, no inclusion (within reason) is pushing Tuck out next year. Especially a kid from the draft.

Just have to pull you up on this, no inclusion (within reason) is pushing Tuck out next year. Especially a kid from the draft.
Not pushing tuck out at all , but the likely chance that tuck will continue after 2013 is very very slim & I did mention either Tuck/Jackson.

I believe within 2 years we will have said goodbye to both Tuck & Newman and probably Jackson as well

Why I think we should be doing everything in our power to get 12 + 14 off GWS.

Elite Category of the draft: (No specific order) 1-3
Whitfield
Grundy
Toumpas

Very good category: (No specific order) 4-13
Mayes
O'Rourke
Macrae
Garner
Wines
Menzel
Plowman
Vlastuin
Garlett
Stringer

Good category: (No specific order.) 15-24
McBean
Kennedy
Shaw
Smith
Membrey
Clurey
Lonergan
Broomhead
Simpson
Jaksch

As you can see, that very good category is very very very open. We would be happy if we got any one of them at 9. The thing is, we could get two of them at 12 + 14. The range of 4-14 is so close that you could put a blanket over it. A club may rate a player at 4 whilst another has him in the early teens. So why wouldn't we go hard for it?

Imagine having say BOTH Vlastuin and Garlett instead of just one. It would be a dream.

Very good list and well put together. Good stuff.

There is not a lot between the very good and good category looking at your list too, I would have Clurey as very good and I would also include Towers and Haynes in the list also.

If we can get 12 and 14 then we would be very happy. I could live with any of the very good category and we would get two.

In Tucks case, I'd be surprised if he's running around again in 2014... There will be a succession plan for this year and either a new guy or one on our list F Jackson thinks will improve has the chance to be in the 22 come 2014.

Well there have been alot said about the #9 for #12 + #14

Not saying we should but what would be the general view if say for example collingwood came to us with
#17+#18+#20 in exchange for #9 + #31

We would end up with
#17 + #18 + #20 + #29 + #50

Well there have been alot said about the #9 for #12 + #14

Not saying we should but what would be the general view if say for example collingwood came to us with
#17+#18+#20 in exchange for #9 + #31

We would end up with
#17 + #18 + #20 + #29 + #50

Would do that in a microsecond, which tells me it's not a fair trade

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Although I don't see this as a super draft , where the club picks are placed they should have more that enough talented players available who come with minimal risk .
Stringer and Garlett come with significant risks , we ain't yet getting late round picks and needing to take risks .
This year the club has the real chance to add some nice 15-25 best players without going for bust hoping to gain 1-5 players .
Could be the most important draft in the clubs re-build , the safest bet is to just go the safety option .

Although I don't see this as a super draft , where the club picks are placed they should have more that enough talented players available who come with minimal risk .
Stringer and Garlett come with significant risks , we ain't yet getting late round picks and needing to take risks .
This year the club has the real chance to add some nice 15-25 best players without going for bust hoping to gain 1-5 players .
Could be the most important draft in the clubs re-build , the safest bet is to just go the safety option .
If you have the 12/14 quinella, you can afford to take a risk provided the upside for both is at or inside the first pick. If the players selected at 12/14 would be top 9 if they come off, my view is taking the risk on two players of this ilk would be worth the risk as the upside is 2 players for 1. My personal view is Stringer/Menzel as previously stated

If you have the 12/14 quinella, you can afford to take a risk provided the upside for both is at or inside the first pick. If the players selected at 12/14 would be top 9 if they come off, my view is taking the risk on two players of this ilk would be worth the risk as the upside is 2 players for 1. My personal view is Stringer/Menzel as previously stated
If we got 12 +14 I would say take Vlaustin with one (since it seems like we are looking to take him at 9), then since we have already got the player we wanted it would be ok to take a risk with Stringer or Menzel. Then if they didn't turn out great we would be in the same position we would ave been with just pick 9. So basically no risk for high reward.

would Sam Iles be worth rookieing or picking up in the PSD, just delisted from Gold Coast and to be honest played some good footy in 2011

Sammy Iles 2012 Season Highlights

dot.gif
27 disps (15 kicks 12 hballs) and 3 marks in Rd 11 95-pt loss to St Kilda at Metricon Stadium (9 Jun 2012)

dot.gif
24 disps (17 kicks 7 hballs) and 6 marks in Rd 10 97-pt loss to Collingwood at the MCG (3 Jun 2012)

dot.gif
25 disps (13 kicks 12 hballs), 7 marks and 4 tackles in Rd 9 48-pt loss to Port Adelaide at Metricon Stadium (26 May 2012)

dot.gif
29 disps (18 kicks 11 hballs) and 6 marks in Rd 8 38-pt loss to the Western Bulldogs at TIO Stadium (19 May 2012)

dot.gif
28 disps (16 kicks 12 hballs), 8 marks, 5 tackles and a goal in Rd 7 27-pt loss to GWS at Manuka Oval (12 May 2012)

dot.gif

29 disps (20 kicks 9 hballs), 10 marks and a goal in Rd 6 7-pt loss to Fremantle at Metricon Stadium (5 May 2012)

Ranked 5th in the league in 2012 for rebounding from the defensive 50.
Ranked 20th in the league in 2012 for uncontested possesions.
Averaged 24 disposals per game in 2012.

Not a bad effort for as delisted player.

just read this, would be worth a good look

A fit stringer and menzel once developed could help us go up a massive level. I suspect Vlastuin is somewhat underrated though. His character and leadership are intangibles that can be crucial for a team/club.

Geez I'd just delist some dud like McGoof to make room and grab Iles as a FA. Be very surprised if he was still available for the rookie draft - or at least at our pick in it.

If we are taking only the 4 picks and we downgrade 9 to 12 and 14 then Gus & 50 for 40 is useless unless we package 2 of our lower picks say the 2 that a currently 29 & 31 which will become 31/32 & 34 after tomorrow (Goddard, Pearce compo definitely ahead and Chaplin being the equivalent of our compo just not sure whose goes first) and aim for a pick around 20. Get 3 kids around the top 20-24 and then take a super talented x-factor kid at pick 40 or 50 (if we don't trade Graham)

Finally had a chance to have a bit of a look at a few of the draftee videos. Not sure if they were pre injury or not but geez I like the look of Stringer. Vlaustin looked good too. Also Membery looks like someone we could use. Tell ya what if we could package 9 with something to get 12 and 14 and was somehow able to get Stringer and Vlaustin that would be my ultimate draft

If we have picks 12 and 14 the players for me that come into are:

Vlastuin, Garner, Garlett, Haynes, Simpson and Menzel. I do not expect Stringer and Macrae to be available. I would be over the moon with any of those combinations. Currently watching tapes of games and edits of Garner and he would be definitely someone I would take around then.

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=146891

Geez I'd just delist some dud like McGoof to make room and grab Iles as a FA. Be very surprised if he was still available for the rookie draft - or at least at our pick in it.

forgot about the delisted FA, would be delighted to have him, dimma did want some mature aged players

If we have picks 12 and 14 the players for me that come into are:

Vlastuin, Garner, Garlett, Haynes, Simpson and Menzel. I do not expect Stringer and Macrae to be available. I would be over the moon with any of those combinations. Currently watching tapes of games and edits of Garner and he would be definitely someone I would take around then.
I think from sounds of it we would downgrade if it's Vlastuin we are after knowing he's likely to still be there a few picks later. Wasn't a huge fan of Garner originally but he's grown on me a bit and would be happy with him if we had 2 picks. Got a bit of the Fyfe's about him IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back