Radiohead tour

Remove this Banner Ad

Just to re-iterate, I wasn't complaining. I mean after all a few days before the concert I wasn't even going. I was just saying how jealous I am that you Melbourne based Radiohead fans got to hear Karma Police live, which is one of my favourite songs ever.

And thank you to the people sticking up for me, greatly appreciated.

Oh fyfie3011, I got to hear Street Spirit live ;)

See, I would happily trade my Karma Police for your Street Spirit. :p I had 3 songs I would have been incredibly happy to hear (I got 2), but I wasn't going to be disappointed with what they played though, it was just amazing to hear them live (and it's not like they played songs from Pablo Honey :p).

See, I would happily trade my Karma Police for your Street Spirit. .

No deal. Wanted Street Spirit more than anything. Legs nearly went from under me when they started playing it.

See, I would happily trade my Karma Police for your Street Spirit. :p I had 3 songs I would have been incredibly happy to hear (I got 2), but I wasn't going to be disappointed with what they played though, it was just amazing to hear them live (and it's not like they played songs from Pablo Honey :p).
I wanted to hear a lot of songs (obviously) but the two I really wanted to hear was Airbag and Karma Police. 1 out of 2 isn't bad.

Also, what's wrong with Pablo Honey? :confused:

Same. I was incredibly happy with the setlist, but Street Spirit would have topped it off.
Replace Street Spirit with Karma Police for the concert I went to, and I 100% agree.

Okay, I'm seriously not trying to be pompous here. But why are you so continually surprised when people say they don't like it? I mean, it's common knowledge (for people with a bit of musical interest) that Pablo Honey is considered their absolute worst album.

Interesting you say this.

They basically hated touring and kind of hated each other in 1998. I guess it shows just how remarkable they were as artists in 1997-2001. They could be jet lagged and tired and depressed (Thom in a literal sense) and still kill it.

I had two friends go.

Me and a mate sat raced to a computer after our uni tutes to get tickets. I lucked out and got two general admish tickets. He'd only heard a bit of stuff, but he's someone who just likes getting out of Perth. He ended up going. His report was that they were really solid, as good as Coldplay (who he saw a few days earlier, and is a much bigger fan of). He loved it.

But another friend, from Melbourne, is a diehard. Whole discography including stuff like the Wake Me Before They Come-snippet kind of fan. He was a bit disappointed and said they were kind of flat and didn't really engage the crowd well. Also reported that the setlist was all over the place, stopping the momentum with slow jams on too many occasions. Then again, he was in the nosebleeds...

I saw Radiohead at the Entertainment Centre in Perth in 1998 and they put on a great show, they didn't show any signs of being depressed or hating each other. They made a few jokes with the crowd and seemed in pretty good spirits.

Couldn't complain about the setlist for that concert either.
  1. Airbag
  2. Talk Show Host
  3. Planet Telex
  4. Karma Police
  5. Exit Music (for a Film)
  6. My Iron Lung
  7. Banana Co.
  8. Lucky
  9. Paranoid Android
  10. The Bends
  11. Bullet Proof..I Wish I Was
  12. You
  13. Subterranean Homesick Alien
  14. No Surprises
  15. Bones
  16. Just
  17. Fake Plastic Trees
  18. Killer Cars
  19. Climbing Up the Walls
  20. Encore:
  21. Polyethylene Pts. 1 & 2
  22. Street Spirit (Fade Out)
  23. Encore 2:
  24. Let Down
  25. Creep
  26. The Tourist
Obviously most of their setlist was from OK Computer and The Bends back then but I'm glad I saw them when I did as their setlists now don't really appeal to me that much and they have become a bit too pretentious for their own good playing more obscure songs, although I still wouldn't knock back seeing them again if I got the chance as they can produce some brilliant music which not many other bands are capable of.

Well my understanding is from this, as well as the bands recollection of the era. Anyone who hasn't seen this, watch it... you might just understand why they wrote Kid A and why you didn't hear Karma Police or Creep.

I wanted to hear a lot of songs (obviously) but the two I really wanted to hear was Airbag and Karma Police. 1 out of 2 isn't bad.

Yeah, I was never going to walk away from that show disappointed by the setlist, no matter how they went, they'd be playing songs I absolutely loved, so I didn't get too caught up in what they may or may not play. But I was especially hoping to heart Street Spirit, There There, and Idioteque.

That said, it's amazing how you can appreciate some songs much more live that you may not have as much before. I know quite a few people love Reckoner, but it was never a massive favourite of mine, but it was chillingly beautiful last night, possibly my highlight of the show.

It's not difficult to say that they've gone way past that album, it'd be good for a lot of other bands, but for one of Radiohead's calibre, it falls well short of everything else of their's. Every album they've made since shows how much better they can be than that, hearing something from Pablo Honey would almost be a waste of a song.

Does anyone think they have any idea where Thom might be DJ'ing tonight (if anywhere)? The rumour was Pony but their "surprise international guest" was earlier revealed to be "The Useless Eaters", so not so sure now ... probably nowhere.

Okay, I'm seriously not trying to be pompous here. But why are you so continually surprised when people say they don't like it? I mean, it's common knowledge (for people with a bit of musical interest) that Pablo Honey is considered their absolute worst album.
Of course I know it's considered their worst album, hence why I believe that this album is criminally underrated and that it also deserves some love.

That said, it's amazing how you can appreciate some songs much more live that you may not have as much before.
I'll be honest, I thought Idioteque was a very average song until I heard it live.

It's not difficult to say that they've gone way past that album, it'd be good for a lot of other bands, but for one of Radiohead's calibre, it falls well short of everything else of their's. Every album they've made since shows how much better they can be than that, hearing something from Pablo Honey would almost be a waste of a song.
I personally feel that some songs off Pablo Honey is right up there with their best. It would've been amazing to hear "Anyone can play guitar" live. For me, that song is definitely in my top 10 favourite Radiohead songs and possibly top five.

Of course I know it's considered their worst album, hence why I believe that this album is criminally underrated and that it also deserves some love.

I'll be honest, I thought Idioteque was a very average song until I heard it live.

I personally feel that some songs off Pablo Honey is right up there with their best. It would've been amazing to hear "Anyone can play guitar" live. For me, that song is definitely in my top 10 favourite Radiohead songs and possibly top five.
That's not what I'm asking. I'm asking why you're surprised? A very large majority of people would think that Jack Anthony is not a very good AFL footballer. So you're doing the musical equivalent of acting surprised everyone says Jack Anthony is a poor footballer. I'm just wondering... what's the point in acting surprised? And if your question isn't rhetorical, I think I already explained why Pablo is a poor album. If not, I'd happily dissect why (in my opinion) it's their worst album – and a bad album in general.

And I'm sorry, but even the most ardent of your fans in this thread must be wondering if you're just being a HUGE troll. Anyone can Play Guitar over bloody Idioteque?! Seriously?!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And I'm sorry, but even the most ardent of your fans in this thread must be wondering if you're just being a HUGE troll. Anyone can Play Guitar over bloody Idioteque?! Seriously?!
Yes, liking Pablo Honey makes me a huge troll :rolleyes:

Yes I do prefer Anyone Can Play Guitar over Idioteque. It's not even the best song on Kid A.

I'd consider HTTT and TKOL as quite underrated because people don't see to rate them as close to Ok Computer, Kid A, or In Rainbows as they probably deserve to be. :p

Pablo Honey would be an alright album by another band, but when assessed on the curve that Radiohead sets, it's so far behind that it's basically a non-factor. The thing is that on Radiohead's most recent 7 albums, you'd struggle to find a genuinely lacklustre moment, despite it's few decent songs, Pablo Honey has a lot of moments like that, it's not as ambitious, nor as complete as an overall work. It's best individual songs also still fall well short of things they've done since then. It's hard to appreciate songs like those when you know they can (and have) done much better, very often.

That may be true, but Pablo Honey is still an okay enough album in the wider music world. Sure, it's something you probably look back on with embarrassment as a musician, but they still pulled off some really catchy songs. I still love You especially.

That may be true, but Pablo Honey is still an okay enough album in the wider music world. Sure, it's something you probably look back on with embarrassment as a musician, but they still pulled off some really catchy songs. I still love You especially.
Kinda like how Pink Floyd hate Atom Heart Mother even though it's a damn good album.

Pablo Honey would be an alright album by another band, but when assessed on the curve that Radiohead sets, it's so far behind that it's basically a non-factor. The thing is that on Radiohead's most recent 7 albums, you'd struggle to find a genuinely lacklustre moment, despite it's few decent songs, Pablo Honey has a lot of moments like that, it's not as ambitious, nor as complete as an overall work. It's best individual songs also still fall well short of things they've done since then. It's hard to appreciate songs like those when you know they can (and have) done much better, very often.
Probably a fair point. I judge that album on its merits and it's an underrated album in my eyes but it's not in the same league as The Bends, OK Computer and In Rainbows.

I remember watching that meeting people is easy doco around 02-03.. the peak of my fandom for the band
It was such a dissapointing boring doco..
Really? I really dug it. I think it basically mirrors the kind of band they are... it's not full of action and it's not obviously engaging because, well, touring like that is boring and repetitive and numbing. Gee did extremely well to evoke a sense of paralysation and greyness. But he also managed to tie in a lot of the themes of OK Computer. Plus, hearing them play early versions of Kid A songs is really interesting.

It's one of the best documentaries I've ever seen.

Kinda like how Pink Floyd hate Atom Heart Mother even though it's a damn good album.
Or basically the majority of artists. How would you like to be remembered for the drawings you did as a three-year old?
Probably a fair point. I judge that album on its merits and it's an underrated album in my eyes but it's not in the same league as The Bends, OK Computer and In Rainbows.
Why don't you like Kid A? It's actually pretty melodic once you listen to it, cohesively, four or five times. Let it click...

Yeah, I guess what best sums up what I think of it is when I'm in a Radiohead 'mood', I think "now which album am I wanting to listen to?" Pablo Honey rarely ever even enters my thinking. :p

Why don't you like Kid A? It's actually pretty melodic once you listen to it, cohesively, four or five times. Let it click...
I like Kid A, but I prefer their other albums. I like all the Radiohead albums.

Yeah, I guess what best sums up what I think of it is when I'm in a Radiohead 'mood', I think "now which album am I wanting to listen to?" Pablo Honey rarely ever even enters my thinking. :p
The four that usually enter my head when I am in the mood is OK Computer, The Bends, In Rainbows and Pablo Honey. Having said that I'm listening to Kid A atm.

Really? I really dug it. I think it basically mirrors the kind of band they are... it's not full of action and it's not obviously engaging because, well, touring like that is boring and repetitive and numbing. Gee did extremely well to evoke a sense of paralysation and greyness. But he also managed to tie in a lot of the themes of OK Computer. Plus, hearing them play early versions of Kid A songs is really interesting.

It's one of the best documentaries I've ever seen.

Was a real eye-opener, an actual documentary, not some kind off puff-piece story one. Haven't seen it in like 6 years, should watch it again.

Or basically the majority of artists. How would you like to be remembered for the drawings you did as a three-year old?

So true. I've done plenty of creativity-based things over the past few years (not musically, other mediums) that I would much rather forget I did (probably as much as 50%). :p

Least accessible, but most rewarding. :thumbsu:

The four that usually enter my head when I am in the mood is OK Computer, The Bends, In Rainbows and Pablo Honey. Having said that I'm listening to Kid A atm.

Mine is generally just dictated by a refined mood and a bit of spontaneity. Kid A is my favourite album, Pablo Honey my least, and however I'm feeling at the time would dictate how everything else in between fits. :p

Kid A / OK Computer
In Rainbows
The King of Limbs
Hail to the Thief / Amnesiac
The Bends
Pablo Honey

The Eraser sits above the Bends for me as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back