Lance Armstrong formally charged with doping

Remove this Banner Ad

Cycling has to clean up its act otherwise I think there is a good chance the 2013 TdF will be abandoned. It's now out of McQuaid's control, he is on borrowed time now. Give it a couple of months and McQuaid and Verbruggen will be gone from cycling and perhaps even facing criminal charges.

It is no longer profitable for the UCI to put up a front when it comes to doping. If they continue to do so all the sponsors will leave and cycling will become a nothing sport. It's now at the point were its beneficial to the bottom line that they do have a strong anti-doping policy (a legit one).

No doubt, riders and team officials are sh***ing themselves right now. The list of riders implicated in doping will continue to increase and the sponsors will have no choice but to sack anyone with a past association to doping. The publics had enough, the sponsors have had enough and hell the riders have had enough, its game over for McQuaid and his buddies at the UCI.

The reality is we will never have a clean tour but I'm confident that the inevitable transformation cycling has to undergo will result in a much cleaner sport, in which the risk-reward ratio of doping will be evened significantly. I genuinely do believe the 2013 tour is going to be one of the cleanest professional races (of all sports) next year and one of the cleaner ones in its 100 year history.
risk reward will never change the natural skew. The prize and rewards are nearly the same. The tests are god easy to beat. There are a few categories of dopers, and always will be. Perhaps the domestiques might back off. But we are talking the "winners" category. That doping category, competes with itself. The rewards are close to zero sum. (OK, Wiggo's endorsement deals might suffer a little because of Armstrong), and the "winners" will always be competing against their own category of dopers, for the rewards pie, and dividing up those rewards between themselves. Only changes if there is a material level of domestiques who back off completely and ride clean, and do the 200km in the wind everyday on their lonesome at the front of the peloton (on bread and water)

The TdF always will exist as the best and cheapest tourism campaign ever concocted.

Didn't he test positive for something back in 99, but had Dr Del Moral backdate the perscription so he got off? This myth about him not testing positive is crap.

That's true. The fact is he got off. He may not have beaten the test, but he beat the conviction. Result, according to the public, 'He didn't dope'. If there is the slightest doubt, they hire a big-money lawyer (sometimes with the sponsor's money - after all it is in the sponsor's interest that they get off), and drive a truck through the tiniest loophole. There's lots of examples of Druggies getting off 'failed' drug tests - and we know about the lifetime Olympic bans being unenforceable.

There's two parts to catching dopers. The test is the first part. The second part - the legal battle - can last for years, and sometimes just muddies the waters even further. Read about Aussie Golden girl swimmer Samantha Riley's doping controversy - she was cleared - but she never reached her previous performance level after that.

Spanish and Italian athletes will probably most likely be in the firing line. I wait to see if one Left-handed Spanish tennis player will be caught up in this.

will be very interesting to see what Tennis would do. Their record isn't exactly good.

Apparantly Nadal was only tested 3 times out of competition in an entire year.

will be very interesting to see what Tennis would do. Their record isn't exactly good.

Apparantly Nadal was only tested 3 times out of competition in an entire year.

At least he was tested, one particular S Williams was not testsed at all in 2011 (out of competition), the one time the testers rocked up to her house, she apprently thought they were "intruders" and locked herself in her "panic room" (didn't realise people actually have these things). Anyway, the ITF wouldn't say whether or not a sample was collected, but when they released the stats she had no tests to her name. The thing is, they take one top player down, she'll be going with them and vice versa.
The amount cyclists actually get tested in comparison to tennis players is actually a lot higher, yet the sport is still in massive strife right now. I am a huge tennis fan, and as much as I'd hate to see tennis get ripped apart, I kind of hope something happens because stories like the one I just mentioned are surely a massive indicator that things are not as they seem.

Look up Tennis Has a Steroid Problem on google for those interested. It also tooks a fair bit about cycling.

because stories like the one I just mentioned are surely a massive indicator that things are not as they seem.

The current World Number One's upswing in form due to "diet" changes in particular is a bit sus. You have these guys running around for 4-5 hours at almost full pelt, matches are going longer and longer. It all adds up to the ITT not wanting to find anything.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/cycl...ng-photo-fires-up-twitter-20121112-2972j.html

lance-armstrong-729-620x349.jpg

It was only ever about Lance. He couldn't give a **** about anyone or any thing else.

I don't disagree with you but in all honesty he was good for the sport at the time. No one gave a rats about cycling before he came along, he caught the attention of the world and cycling was never more prominent. I certainly don't begrudge him for cashing in on that. Exploiting the cancer charity worls on the other hand...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't disagree with you but in all honesty he was good for the sport at the time. No one gave a rats about cycling before he came along, he caught the attention of the world and cycling was never more prominent. I certainly don't begrudge him for cashing in on that. Exploiting the cancer charity worls on the other hand...

Cycling has had a massive presence in Europe for a century. Just because the US started to notice it because an American started doing well doesn't mean the sport 'shot into prominence'.

The history of cycling is not written in english. That's why the americans didn't pay much attention to it. Armstrong was good for the exposure of the sport in America - and when he stopped, the interest pretty much fell back to previous levels.

the doping has hurt the sport in Europe. Now it is bigger in Australia and UK than Germany.

It is not Armstrong's fault for the doping of the old teams from Germany. Gerolsteiner and defacto national team T-Mobile, Telekom.

But the sport is heading towards the NBL status after Michael Jordan era, and perhaps, the NSL will return to its glory days pre-last decade, 90s, early 2000's when it was a rabid sectarian ex-pat nationalists from europe like the croat teams etc.

Thats what cycling promises.

To add the fact that the two biggest nations, italy and spain, have rooted economies too. It is like a massive vortex cluster f$%&k

Cycling has had a massive presence in Europe for a century. Just because the US started to notice it because an American started doing well doesn't mean the sport 'shot into prominence'.

The history of cycling is not written in english. That's why the americans didn't pay much attention to it. Armstrong was good for the exposure of the sport in America - and when he stopped, the interest pretty much fell back to previous levels.

I would argue that Armstrongs presence had a worldwide effect (taking into account that Europe already had a cycling history) the rest of the English speaking world took notice of cycling almost solely because of Armstrong.

The English speaking world knew about and took an interest in cycling. Armstrong just took it to a new level. Bit like Jordan did with basketball. The world knew basketball, Larry Bird and Majic Johnson and others, but the marketing hype associated with Jordan meant lots of exposure, so did Armstrong's marketing hype drive cycling.

So everyone that liked MJ was and MJ fan not a Basketball fan, Tiger, Roger? He generated interest in the sport, that is a good thing...
putting words in my mouth.

The new people who came to cycling, were, by and large, nut huggers, singular, chamois sniffers, of the cancer jesus. He retires, they leave.

tell me how cycling is better off. Zero sum. Cycling is for cycling fans. They did not enlarge. See the bike sales stats in the US. Not here, in the US.

The US
tailgating grill>ride for cancer

putting words in my mouth.

The new people who came to cycling, were, by and large, nut huggers, singular, chamois sniffers, of the cancer jesus. He retires, they leave.

tell me how cycling is better off. Zero sum. Cycling is for cycling fans. They did not enlarge. See the bike sales stats in the US. Not here, in the US.

The US
tailgating grill>ride for cancer

I'm not going to claim to know more about this than you but i can honestly say i started watching the Tour because of Lance and i still watch it now despite his absence, i doubt i'm the only one.

I'm not going to claim to know more about this than you but i can honestly say i started watching the Tour because of Lance and i still watch it now despite his absence, i doubt i'm the only one.

I watch it for three reasons:

• Gabriel Gate doing some interview about French cuisine while sitting in Southbank
  • counting the number of unleashed dogs
  • waiting to see hot female cyclists

I'm the same...
http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2012/s3636212.htm
was involved with Hardie's doping conference at worlds in 2010. Had long discussions on the phone with Vinnicombe about a Chinese rider, MA Haijun, who won a tt B worlds in about 2006.

MV was a coach at an equivalent VIS institute in China. Think about it, 50 plus provinces, 50 plus institutes for sport. Funny how he got kicked out. He told me some stuff, and the regime that Liu Jiang would have been taking. Just look at this high jumper's jaw, 12 years ago. Yes. I said high-jumper. Enter RussellEbertHandball with the bio, take it away Russ
MV's wife is also chinese. (used to be married to a US track cyclist, think she competed for Australia when married, I know her name, cant remember atm)
Matty Lloyd the cyclist lives in the same apartment building of my mom! Told him in the elevator hoped everything was aok for next year, and Whitey is not a bloody scapegoat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back