Has Anyone Debuted In A Grand-Final?

Remove this Banner Ad

yonks ago I remember reading about a game in the 20's where Fitzroy's team bus broke down or something, so they fielded a team of runners, trainers and even fans, and ended up winning the game. Not sure how accurate that is can anyone provide any more info?

EDIT: Ron The Bear corrected my post

I'm surprised the Carlton fans didn't put Vinnie Catoggio in 1973.

He won the U/19's medal in 1972. Played reserves all 1973 and won the reserves medal. He was called up for the GF. can't remember who was dropped.

He was 18 played a poor game, was abused by some players and fans and didn't play a league game in 1974 for Carlton. Brent Cresswell wrote about him at

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=wrMnAAAAIBAJ&sjid=2pIDAAAAIBAJ&pg=5122,4874865

Ron The Bear how come you don't have him in your list??

yonks ago I remember reading about a game in the 20's where Fitzroy's team bus broke down or something, so they fielded a team of runners, trainers and even fans, and ended up winning the game. Not sure how accurate that is can anyone provide any more info?

I really hope that's true!

Haven't heard that one.

St.Kilda players went on strike in 1911, and players from local clubs were called in to represent the Saints against Carlton. St.Kilda lost by 114 points; a Carlton player took shelter from the rain under a spectator's umbrella during play, allowing his opponent to score one of St.Kilda's two goals. Certified Legend Roy Cazaly made his debut in this match.

1965 preliminary final. That game became infamous because Essendon's John Somerville was allegedly king hit by Collingwood's Duncan Wright.

I knew it was before my time, shocked it was 65 though. Good effortt!

He won the U/19's medal in 1972. Played reserves all 1973 and won the reserves medal. He was called up for the GF. can't remember who was dropped.

He was 18 played a poor game, was abused by some players and fans and didn't play a league game in 1974 for Carlton. Brent Cresswell wrote about him at

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=wrMnAAAAIBAJ&sjid=2pIDAAAAIBAJ&pg=5122,4874865

That was a really interesting article! Thanks REH.

Ok I went back and reread his wiki and australianfootall.com page and they do use the word first full game, not debut. Thanks Ron.

Maybe over the years I have hear commentators use the same phrase rather than debut and thought it was his first game. I guess he was 19th or 20th man for those 2 games in the days before interchange. Probably didn't even get a run in his first game looking at his stats.

Any Carlton fans remember the circumstances he came into the GF side??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He actually played two games before that, I believe.

Carlton v Melbourne, round 9:
Melbourne - B. McLean, 1 vote.
Carlton - B. Fevola, 2 votes.
Vic Metro Under 19's - C. Judd, 3 votes.

Couldnt have been 1973, would be highly unusual to debut a year after already winning a Brownlow!!

Maybe I had Kink & Thompson confused & made a complete balls up between the two & probably someone else I forgot?:p

Shit it all happened when I was still shitting my nappies or not even born.
Give me a break!:p

In 1920, Bill James played his debut game in a winning grand final for Richmond. He even kicked a goal.

This would end up being the only VFL game of his career.He's the only player in history to play his only game in a grand final.

He was shot in the foot in a rabbit hunting in the offseason, which is the reason for him not playing again.

What an awesome story.

Not bad and 2 Brownlows in that lot

Remember Kink's PF debut

Earliest of those i remember was Len Thompson as he was amazing and it wasn't long before the term Follower was invented

Dermies debut was impressive in i think a #47 jumper

What is interesting is Scott Howell (Carlton) who had a father who also played for Carlton and a grandfather who played for South Melbourne and both named Jack and both affectionately called Chooka

They are the only 3 generations to ever play in a grand final

Not bad and 2 Brownlows in that lot

Remember Kink's PF debut

Earliest of those i remember was Len Thompson as he was amazing and it wasn't long before the term Follower was invented

Dermies debut was impressive in i think a #47 jumper

What is interesting is Scott Howell (Carlton) who had a father who also played for Carlton and a grandfather who played for South Melbourne and both named Jack and both affectionately called Chooka

They are the only 3 generations to ever play in a grand final

I never thought of that stat.

Oh Ron The Bear beat me to it :)

Although the very famous Pop Vine's first name was Francis not Fred

That's a little bit odd, as I got 'Fred' from the AFL's now defunct historical stats site. Sure enough, I can't find any reference to 'Fred Vine' during his playing career.

That's a little bit odd, as I got 'Fred' from the AFL's now defunct historical stats site. Sure enough, I can't find any reference to 'Fred Vine' during his playing career.

Which club did you say he played for?

Haven't heard that one.

St.Kilda players went on strike in 1911, and players from local clubs were called in to represent the Saints against Carlton. St.Kilda lost by 114 points; a Carlton player took shelter from the rain under a spectator's umbrella during play, allowing his opponent to score one of St.Kilda's two goals. Certified Legend Roy Cazaly made his debut in this match.

These are the things I love reading about from AFL/VFL/WAFL/SANFL etc history. :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back