Other Johnny Manziel - Outlaw Bloodlines ©

Remove this Banner Ad

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9542030/nfl-eye-johnny-manziel-wrong-reasons
In Riddick's estimation, Manziel has the talent to play in the NFL as long as he is paired with a system that is geared to his strengths, the way Washington and Seattle geared offenses to fit Robert Griffin III and Wilson. There are questions about Manziel's size -- Texas A&M lists him as 6-foot-1, but scouts have their doubts he is that tall -- and arm strength, but if he gets in a system that relies on easy throws over the middle, play-action and read-option, Manziel's skill set would transfer.
But there is more to it than that, particularly because of the position Manziel plays. There are questions about Manziel's character, makeup and leadership, Riddick said. While Manziel's competency on the football field is not in doubt -- he put Texas A&M on the Southeastern Conference map in one season -- there are questions about his credibility, because, as Riddick said, "nobody trusts him and that's what credibility is all about."

A few fan comments from a recent ESPN article about Manziel's red flags vs NFL draft stock....

red flags... lol is this a joke?

-Vince Young, whom everyone knew was borderline brain dead, was the 3rd pick in the draft. -
-Manti Te'o had an imaginary girlfriend who was really a dude... lied about it... Was exposed by more than one team and was a 2nd round pick.
-Trent Richardson was driving around a car worth over 40K while in College. Had 2 kids while in College. Was rumored to be a PED user in College. 3rd pick of the draft...
-Juston Blackmon was a full blown alcoholic and already had a DUI when he was drafted 5th overall.
-Mauirice Clarett got drafted for pete's sake...

Red flags to NFL teams just mean cheaper prices. Talent beats just about every scandal you can think of. See Vick, Big Ben, and Ray Lewis.

A lot of truth there. I hadn't even heard of T-Rich's rumored PED usage. Never came to light and if he is in fact a user (which would be sad considering his production, I'd expect more) The NFL will find out. and you forgot Mathieu.
How do you forget that one?

Great point, but that was back then in today's NFL Hernadez makes it more difficult for most Owner and GM to take those chance again. His potential for being a number 1 draft pick and get to start right way could be out the window, the only team that may be willing to take a shot have a great QB already so he sit of the bench. So some part of the article I agree with you have to grow up

Man when I was over in the USA last week, it was the hot topic of convo all day every day.

Johnny Football this Johnny Football that.

Seems to me the most interesting bit to me was the story about the NCAA profiteering from Manziels signature, yet Manziel wasnt allowed to.

makes no sense to me.

Man when I was over in the USA last week, it was the hot topic of convo all day every day.

Johnny Football this Johnny Football that.

Seems to me the most interesting bit to me was the story about the NCAA profiteering from Manziels signature, yet Manziel wasnt allowed to.

makes no sense to me.

That's because it doesn't.

They make millions off these kids and pass it off as 'well we're doing right by them, giving them an education', when they don't care one bit. They barely prepare them for the real world when a majority of them don't have NFL careers. It's bullshit.

That's because it doesn't.

They make millions off these kids and pass it off as 'well we're doing right by them, giving them an education', when they don't care one bit. They barely prepare them for the real world when a majority of them don't have NFL careers. It's bullshit.

You could say that about a lot of Unis Dagless ;) not just those under the NCAA wing.

There are a few good coaches in NCAA Football who put the student first, eg. Mike Riley, Tim DeRuyter, Chris Petersen etc. They prepare their players for life after football. Or at least try to.

What manziel needs is a stronger and more disciplined coach, if he gets it at the next level, and as long as they build the offense around him i can see him being successful, but in reality most teams with that strong coach and suitable infrastructure wouldn't want to gamble on him

His measurables suck. I would only draft 6'2" or taller strong armed pocket passers. Manziel, no thanks even before discussing red flags.

just purely on physique how different is he to wilson, pretty successful for being relatively short (same with brees)
having said that it is inbuilt that the raiders go big, fast and strong armed, manziel does not fit

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wilson is 6'2" and has a live arm, tho not a monster arm, and is a bit of a gun-slinger. So he fits.

McGloin is 6'1" or less and has a live arm too, but he's too short and not robust, but can sling it. Raiders have had guys like that in Rich Gannon, Gradkowski. But not ideal fit.

Flynn is supposedly 6'2", but is closer to 6'0", and has a weak arm, and does not sling it. Not a fit.

Pryor is 6'4" to 6'5", has a very big arm, is incredibly robust and mobile. Perfect fit.

I think if you are going to run the pistol your QB needs to be fairly well built.

At this point, even disregarding his height, Manzeil is pretty small.

Johnny is 1.85 m

Wilson is 1.8

Brees is 1.83

I just don't think it's that big of an issue if he has the right structure (onfield and off-field) around him

Johnny is 1.85 m

Wilson is 1.8

Brees is 1.83

I just don't think it's that big of an issue if he has the right structure (onfield and off-field) around him
My understanding is that the 185 allocated to JM is extremely generous.

He also has a much smaller frame than either of the other two, and both Wilson and Brees are both very accurate passers, Manziel doesn't have bad accuracy from what I have seen, but it isn't at the same level as either of the other two.

Plus he will need to work hard to make it in the NFL and that looks like being impossible at this point

My understanding is that the 185 allocated to JM is extremely generous.

He also has a much smaller frame than either of the other two, and both Wilson and Brees are both very accurate passers, Manziel doesn't have bad accuracy from what I have seen, but it isn't at the same level as either of the other two.

Plus he will need to work hard to make it in the NFL and that looks like being impossible at this point

He's more of a risk taker but, which can be a positive if you have some good receivers around he can make a secondary pay

(sometimes with my staunch defence of manziel and tebow i question as to whether I'm watching too much first take, so much that sometimes skip makes sense :S )

In college they always add two inches to a player's height.
I think they do it to increase a player's NFL draft stock, knowing that NFL has a bias against short players. But if you look at every college player's profile vs their NFL combine or NFL.com profile, they're often 1-2 inches taller than what they end up being.

I'm only speaking for Boise State here, but bullshit.
Unless High schools add 4 inches, your claim is ludicrous. 95% of freshman we recruit measure in 1-2 inches and 10-15 pounds less than what the high schools report them as.
Those in the know in the States point out that High schools measure with boots, helmet and pads on, while Boise State measure as they do at the NFL combine.

Do you want to do that this coming season?
We'll check who goes to the combine, accumulate the stats colleges give them, then compare them to what the NFL gives them?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back