Footy Classified special 9:30pm EST 27/08 - better Episode in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

I just find it funny that people in here are having a go at his honest version of events, given that posters in here are probably the least neutral people of all when discussing this saga. A poster said earlier they are starting to believe their own spin as facts... well, pot, kettle, black.

If you could explain how you know it was the honest version of things, that'd be great.

As usual with Bomber, he gets all worked up, then remembers what it is he's been sent out to say so he heads back in that direction, but then Caro speaks, and it reminds him that she's the one who brought them down, and he heads off the reservation again, rinse, repeat.

Highlights:

Caro: "I think you love Dr Reid as much as you love anyone outside of your family"
Lloyd: "Is that a sarcastic comment"

Famous name >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> brains

If you could explain how you know it was the honest version of things, that'd be great.

As usual with Bomber, he gets all worked up, then remembers what it is he's been sent out to say so he heads back in that direction, but then Caro speaks, and it reminds him that she's the one who brought them down, and he heads off the reservation again, rinse, repeat.

Famous name >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> brains
Caro goes easy on him, she'd rip him to bits if she wanted to.

Kudos to Bomber, he didnt come off well and if he was a vain bloke all about his own self image he wouldnt have gone on the show. But he is the only bloke from Essendon willing to front up and talk, which says something.

Was surprised at how deficient Essendons club structure is, the line about Robinson having the same job as at GFC but EFC not being able to control him was interesting. And I dont think GFC are ahead of the other strong clubs either.

Gotta say that after a good night sleep my point of view has changed re. the interview.

There is no doubting that he was a mess but I feel as a lover of footy it was in some ways exactly the type of exchange I have been hanging out for. No prepared statements, no council, no lawyers, just a raw unadulterated emotional man spilling his guts. I guess somehow, paradoxically, Bomber's own mental disintegration stripped the issue down a bit for me and what I saw was a bloke, and I reckon a club, in turmoil. A toxic mixture of defiance, shame, guilt, fury and most of all total confusion.

Kudos for him to go on last night. The frantic face palming at Windy Hill would have this morning revealed many septic wounds. But to me Bomber Thompson presented himself as a football person, and not a cog in a PR engine.

Believe it or not he has gone up in my estimation, if I may speak on behalf of many footy lovers. We need more of this. More twitching, eye-rolling meltdowns. Less pause for effect, jargon, rhetoric and staring at the table in front of you.

It'll be in the OP here, and in the TV MEdia Coverage thread at the top of the page, also in the Blues ASADA thread on their board. Or you can just get it off my youtube channel in my sig about 1am.

You're an absolute star Wookster.
:thumbsu:

I just find it funny that people in here are having a go at his honest version of events, given that posters in here are probably the least neutral people of all when discussing this saga. A poster said earlier they are starting to believe their own spin as facts... well, pot, kettle, black.

Good on him for being honest, but he was all over the place after spending two days locked away with the AFL.
Was gripping TV.

You and I could not be more different in our reactions.I thought Caro was excellent,and if you had been attentive you'd have noticed that she did not ask 1 question in the final 5 minutes. She could see that Bomber was angry with her, and backed out with the grace you said she didn't display.

Agreed. I thought Caro backed off quite a bit, and hadn't been as militant as she normally is.

And if you think Bomber emerged as a person worthy of respect then you are misguided. He lost all credibility with his erratic and unreasonable defence and responses. He was 'honest' but unimpressive and almost foolish.

I don't know if it is about respect. I agree that he was honest. Fundamentally he was accused of not knowing what was going on and not taking action - and his defence is "I didn't know what was going on so how can I be guilty of not knowing what was going on"? Even after all this time he genuinely did not see to get it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How the game has been hijacked by businessmen with their processes is beyond me.

Surely being ironic. If footy was run by proper businesses with proper governance frameworks, this would never have happened.

The problem is that footy doesn't have any the checks, balances or levels of accountability that you see in a normal business environment. The industry is a closed shop, a cartel with no competition. Revenue is relatively fixed. Expenditure is relatively fixed. There are no institutional shareholders exercising rigorous oversight. There is no market imperative to generate the best possible ROI or build capital value. The regulator has a massive conflict of interest in that they are also the ones running and profiting from the cartel. There are limited growth opportunities for individual clubs.

Any bunch of idiots could run a football club and appear to be successful. The problem is, they do.

The_Wookie Thanks for the uploads, but the second video cuts out early and misses half of the interview.

Surely being ironic. If footy was run by proper businesses with proper governance frameworks, this would never have happened.

The problem is that footy doesn't have any the checks, balances or levels of accountability that you see in a normal business environment. The industry is a closed shop, a cartel with no competition. Revenue is relatively fixed. Expenditure is relatively fixed. There are no institutional shareholders exercising rigorous oversight. There is no market imperative to generate the best possible ROI or build capital value. The regulator has a massive conflict of interest in that they are also the ones running and profiting from the cartel. There are limited growth opportunities for individual clubs.

Any bunch of idiots could run a football club and appear to be successful. The problem is, they do.
What a load of codswallop.

This is not intended to defame Bomber or redicule him, I feel he was put in a very difficult situation last night of FC and held himself ok considering.

However - I am keen for other opinion.

I, and my Wife, and my Boss all said the same thing whilst watching the interview, he appeared to me as if he had been drinking or was under the influence of something.

Don't get me wrong, he deserves something to relax him after hwat would have been a harrowing couple of days, however, I thought it led to some sloopy and often unclear answers.

Gotta say that after a good night sleep my point of view has changed re. the interview.

There is no doubting that he was a mess but I feel as a lover of footy it was in some ways exactly the type of exchange I have been hanging out for. No prepared statements, no council, no lawyers, just a raw unadulterated emotional man spilling his guts. I guess somehow, paradoxically, Bomber's own mental disintegration stripped the issue down a bit for me and what I saw was a bloke, and I reckon a club, in turmoil. A toxic mixture of defiance, shame, guilt, fury and most of all total confusion.

Kudos for him to go on last night. The frantic face palming at Windy Hill would have this morning revealed many septic wounds. But to me Bomber Thompson presented himself as a football person, and not a cog in a PR engine.

Believe it or not he has gone up in my estimation, if I may speak on behalf of many footy lovers. We need more of this. More twitching, eye-rolling meltdowns. Less pause for effect, jargon, rhetoric and staring at the table in front of you.

Bomba has always been a heart on his sleeve person, as much as he'd want to appear calm and in control. But he's never been a polished media performer, I don't know why he chooses to appear on TV often, and last night interview made me cringe.

Don't get me wrong it was good TV and 'refreshing' to some extent to see candid responses and reactions from an Essendon representative finally. However, I guess Bomba being a Geelong man that brought us two premierships, I hate to see the man looking dazed, confused and foolish as he did - he didn't seem to grasp many of the issues at hand and had to have Lyon, Hutchy, Caro - explain them to him. I would rather have seen Hird be the one to fumble, stutter, look desparate and vulnerable rather than Thompson as he was the ultimate architect of this shameful mess.

Hird is praised by spineless yes men in the media like Darcy for his 'strength', that toss Robinson admiring his ability to 'compartmentalise' - I really hope now he shows some actualy remorse for actions - and not just assured by the Chairman that he showed remorse. He's sunk Essendon to its lowest ebb, least he could do is express some goddamn guilt and regret, like Thompson did.

I bet hird and EFC were crinching at some of the comments that fell out of Bombers mouth.

While it was refreshing to finally see someone from the club talk unrehearsed, I don't understand why Bomber has gained so much more respect in many posters eyes.

Yeah, he was clearly shattered mentally, (makes me wonder why he agreed at all to appear) but I still saw someone trying to play down the serious stuff while only just keeping his thoughts in front of his mouth. He tripped over a few times there. What happened to the great man, the successful coach I thought had intelligence and demanded respect? Is he gone forever due to EFC and their dodginess?

I, and my Wife, and my Boss all said the same thing whilst watching the interview, he appeared to me as if he had been drinking or was under the influence of something.

Don't get me wrong, he deserves something to relax him after hwat would have been a harrowing couple of days, however, I thought it led to some sloopy and often unclear answers.

He definitely appeared that way. I hate to even suggest this (and I'm not) - but his manner and demeanour was consistent with someone high on coke or speed.

The dean comment was referring to him going to gc
He left whilst bomber was coach at gfc
Fair point. But he said the environment at Essendon wasn't right for Robinson and inferred that's why things deteriorated for him at that Club. If Bomber knew the environment at Essendon wasn't suitable for someone like Dean Robinson, why did he push them to hire him? It just doesn't really make sense, as many of the contradictions Bomber made in that interview didn't make sense.

He also said Robinson had the same role at Essendon as he did at Geelong which is pure baloney. Robinson was only the strength & conditioning coach at Geelong, at Essendon he ran the whole fitness program. This is common knowledge. So why push Robinson into running a whole fitness department when you knew the unprofessional environment of the club was something that would be a detriment to the man?

I think Bomber told a number of lies during that interview because he found himself getting asked questions that cut to the bone. It was a colossal mistake for him to go on that show so soon after the sanctions were handed down and I don't think he did much in restoring the faith of Bomber supporters.

He clearly doesn't know, what are you exactly having a go at him for? He said he had no idea if ASADA will still find their players guilty, cos he has no idea what they took. Pathetic post.

Pathetic post??? Get real mate. Yes he doesn't know what happened or who took what so HOW can he/them be so definitive that they ARENT drug cheats??????? Remember that inadvertent drug users are still drug users under the WADA code. No one is/has suggested they deliberately tried a doping regime but they may have inadvertently be so and this distinction has been lost by all and sundry at the dons and apparently you too.

Shows how soft Wheatley and Robbo have been on him all year. Caro & Lyon asking perfectly legitimate questions, and he gets aggressive and sarcastic. Hird looking worse.

i think you overlook what he'd been involved immediately before and the previous 48 hours prior to the interview.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back