Certified Legendary Thread VFL Grand Final - Geelong Cats v Box Hill Hawks, 22 September 2013, 2.15pm @ Etihad Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Wanganeen looks good off half back, but his size is a concern for AFL, not sure he's solid enough
Does provide plenty of run and carry, his tackling is good, but will be touch and go to see if he stays as he needs to be upgraded next year
Lowden, well I'm of the opinion he won't be on the list next year
Does a few good things, then seems to stand still and just spectate while players run past him
His first up efforts seem ok, but if he has to go again, his second efforts are non existent
Kicking is poor, and to me seems too timid for his size
I'd be shocked if he's there next year, especially if the Longer rumors are true!

Apart from his horrible switch across the ground late in the game, I thought Wanganeen played his best game for Box Hill. Perhaps the club has taken too long to find Wanganeen's niche as a half-back flanker, but I wouldn't be surprised to see another club take a punt on him if Hawthorn does cut ties with him at the end of the season. Wanganeen was ferocious as he could be in the tackles, reasonably creative with the ball and always full of run. Hard to see who he would displace from Hawthorn's 22 at this point in time, but then again, there's always the possibility of a bolter coming from the back of the pack that takes a spot in Hawthorn's 22.

Litherland played with some flair. He forgot to bounce the ball at one point, which caused a turnover and a Geelong goal, and he is slightly undersized to be the second tall defender that Box Hill used him as, which Geelong exploited when it could. But he loves to dash down the ground. @cshreuder61 is right, in that Hawthorn could do with another line-breaking defender to take the attention off Birchall. But I don't see Litherland being plugged into Hawthorn's defence in 2014, based off his 2013 season.

I had thought that Jordan Kelly was a vanilla player for Box Hill - competent with what he could do but not enough to his bag of tricks in order to take the step up to AFL level. In some respects, based on his output today, I think that's still a fair description, but Kelly was solid in defence and offered some run off half-back. Played his part.

I was impressed with the games of our ruckmen Lowden and Ceglar. In the second half they gave silver service to our midfield and Lowden in particular drifted forward to take some good marks. Too bad he kicked the difficult ones and missed the sodas. In my view, Lowden has taken some big strides in the second half of the season and I believe that, regardless of whether Hawthorn brings in another ruckman or not, that he has a future at the club. He has a skill-set which is almost unique in ruckmen of his height (I believe he is listed officially at 206cm). He just needs to harness it and he will be a force for Hawthorn in time.

Given that Lowden and Ceglar rucked the whole afternoon and Grimley was played as a permanent forward, if Hawthorn does recruit Longer, it wouldn't surprise me to see Ceglar released and Hawthorn (with Box Hill) works on grooming Grimley as a forward who can pinch-hit in the ruck at AFL level, while Lowden and Longer are the permanent rucks who drift forward to kick goals.

Box Hill's victory was built on the basis of a strong back six. Spangher was everywhere in the back half, playing the Gibbo role of being the man to leave his opponent to effect a spoil. Cheney battled against a slightly bigger and heavier opponent and was beaten early due to good service from the Geelong midfield that clearly advantaged his opponent and made it difficult for him to win contests. However, as the game wore on and Box Hill's midfield started to exert pressure on their opponents, Cheney took up the Stratton role of reading the play and taking "intercept marks". Wanganeen and Litherland in particular gave Box Hill run off half-back.

Hallahan, Simpkin and Iles in particular were influential when the whips were cracking in the midfield. Their relentless attack on the football through the four quarters wore down their Geelong opponents and by the time the game was decided in the fourth quarter, they were dominating. They eased up towards the end, which allowed Geelong to win some midfield battles and put a veneer of respectability that their play to date did not deserve. Simpkin was IMO the clear BOG, as he was everywhere and copped it from his former teammates (notwithstanding it was Geelong's list management decision that resulted in Simpkin being free to join the Hawks).

Up forward, Retzlaff never stopped presenting and was a focal point at CHF. He worked well with Grimley in the forward line, while Osborne and Xavier Murphy were buzzing around feeding off the crumbs. Box Hill's goalkicking accuracy was great in the first quarter but gradually deserted them as the game wore on and the final margin of just under four goals really flattered the Cats.

I really like the mean streak our boys showed. No problem playing the ball and the man. Really roughed up and made them Geelong boys hurt.

It's something I felt we've missed since 08 and that sort of desperation and aggression is infectious. Hopefully these young kids can bring it with them to the seniors once they start plugging holes and replacing the veterans.

Also I tip my hat to DC. The disciplined, well-drilled and ferocious effort that our boys showed today is something many AFL teams would dream to accomplish. This guy could definitely make it as an AFL coach and the way the boys speak of him so highly is just an indicator to his excellent interpersonal skills.

Absolutely loved the reaction of the crowd when Spangher was called up for his medal.

He certainly earned them after all he's done. Crashing packs, putting his body on the line, dying for our sins etc.

IMO, both these sides, with the way they could move the ball about (especially in the first quarter) would knock off Melbourne and the GWS on exposed form this year. Iles, Lock and Mirra are unlucky to have not been on an AFL list (for more than a year or two in the case of Iles). Murphy has some x-factor about him that suggests that a club would do worse than to give him a chance as a rookie. Retzlaff's stickers are an unfortunate look, and he does have the turning circle of the Queen Mary, but he has sticky hands and will present all day. He's no worse than a few AFL-listed players.

In other news, Lowden and Wanganeen look done. Expect both to be delisted
I think that you have rocks in your head, Luke has been really good and has a future at Hawthorn

Well done to the boys today. Success breeds success and I think Friday night's win over Geelong lifted the whole club to spur on today's team with added confidence. Now this win today will really infect the team and strive the Hawks on to even greater feats in a week's time. Get it done boys!!

Absolutely loved the reaction of the crowd when Spangher was called up for his medal.

He was fantastic today , as was Kyle ... as he has been all year , loved Wanganeen's game , Kelly was great especially pleasing after he copped a sickening head high bump in the first term , really liked X.Murphy's game was ferocious at times ... Hallahan, Simpkin, Isles in the middle were tenacious ... and Ossie he is an absolute legend .... his presence and vigor lifts everyone and his two goals were highlights !!!

Loved the atmosphere and was a quality game from a young team ... and Damian Carroll is a quality bloke and coach , proud to have watched Box Hill this year.

Box Hill Hawks Premiers 2013 !!!

:D

This is great.

Seriously, they talk about our window closing because our ageing team but IMO, our only ageing position is those inside midfielders.

And now, I am not saying they are certs to be AFL stars but players such as Hallahan and Langford couldn't have done much wrong over the season. Add Jed Anderson in there and that is 3 potential AFL stars.

It is a very exciting time to be a Hawk.

You should know what actual arrogance is before you label the post arrogant.

For 50 years we have a 100% winning record in elimination games against Geelong. That is winning when it matters most.

Bloody hell there are some crybaby fairies on this board.

Can't celebrate, can't be honest if it sounds negative, can only give hugs and kisses as punishment. Have a glass a cement please and go and join AussieFootyForum.

yeah good

I wasn't actually saying your post was arrogant. I was talking about arrogance in general but sure

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone else sniffing 2008 out of all this? Geelong had won the last 13 straight and only lost 2 games for the year, do I understand that right? And then they play the Hawks in the Grannie and fall over (wait, I'm sure this was some sort of Bradbury effort somehow).

So does this mean Geelong will make a pact never to lose to Box Hill ever again? :p

Is there a video review in the VFL that can result in suspensions?

If you're referring to the Kelly incident, I'm almost sure that the umpire reported the Geelong player at the time.

If you're referring to the Kelly incident, I'm almost sure that the umpire reported the Geelong player at the time.
Yep, Geelong player ( the old guy who came across from another club last year ) was reported
Peter Donnigan and David Rhys Jones recon he will get weeks

Yep, Geelong player ( the old guy who came across from another club last year ) was reported
Peter Donnigan and David Rhys Jones recon he will get weeks

Rhys-Jones would have to be an expert on that.

Hey Guys...

I was asked by AFL Victoria to be on the media panel giving the votes for the Norm Goss Medal (BOG).

I went...

3. Spangher (BH)
2. Murphy (BH)
1. Walker (Gee)

It's correct as mentioned earlier (though I don't have the full vote tally) that Simpkin beat Spangher by 1 vote.

Pete @ 3WBC

p.s. Thanks for listening, to those that listened to the call.

Nah another one. No report was laid but on video review may be. If it was afl it would be a report I reckon.

What a great game, the boys were great, everyone of them gave it everything I enjoyed watching that Spangher,he was great ,such a good game,compared to the wrestlers in Perth. Our boys kicked so well,very proud of them all. Selwood,captain, gave a pathetic talk,30 secs if that.What bad sports the rats are. Congrats boys,well done.They love Spangher,no doubt about that..Good old ossie,played well.:thumbsu::DThe guys really love Carroll..Good to see..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back