Certified Legendary Thread VFL Grand Final - Geelong Cats v Box Hill Hawks, 22 September 2013, 2.15pm @ Etihad Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey Guys...

I was asked by AFL Victoria to be on the media panel giving the votes for the Norm Goss Medal (BOG).

I went...

3. Spangher (BH)
2. Murphy (BH)
1. Walker (Gee)

It's correct as mentioned earlier (though I don't have the full vote tally) that Simpkin beat Spangher by 1 vote.

Pete @ 3WBC

p.s. Thanks for listening, to those that listened to the call.
I was a little surprised Simpkin won tbh
Thought Cheyney was fantastic, as was Spangher and Murphy

No standout BOG. Simpkin turned it over a bit I thought but some important touches. Lowden kicks straight he ends up with 4 goals and 2 medals. Cheney was bloody good but his kicking is what holds him back. Kelly was close to flawless. Spangh very good but had a couple kicked on him. X Murphy is as honest as you will get. Hallahan is a bull. Wanganeen was excellent.

Just a brilliant performance by box hill. Had such a good side. inside and outside and young and old. Perfect balance with incredible hunger. And a gun coach.

He was fantastic today , as was Kyle ... as he has been all year , loved Wanganeen's game , Kelly was great especially pleasing after he copped a sickening head high bump in the first term , really liked X.Murphy's game was ferocious at times ... Hallahan, Simpkin, Isles in the middle were tenacious ... and Ossie he is an absolute legend .... his presence and vigor lifts everyone and his two goals were highlights !!!

Loved the atmosphere and was a quality game from a young team ... and Damian Carroll is a quality bloke and coach , proud to have watched Box Hill this year.

Box Hill Hawks Premiers 2013 !!!

:D

Not enough praise has been given to Damian over the time he has coached BHH.

His addresses at the quarter breaks are strong, to the point and extremely accurate. He praises the good play, encourages the players who are down and has an extremely positive attitude to the group.

Well done Damian you are better than some AFL coaches that I could name and should be in line for vacant AFL positions.

Hey Guys...

I was asked by AFL Victoria to be on the media panel giving the votes for the Norm Goss Medal (BOG).

I went...

3. Spangher (BH)
2. Murphy (BH)
1. Walker (Gee)

It's correct as mentioned earlier (though I don't have the full vote tally) that Simpkin beat Spangher by 1 vote.

Pete @ 3WBC

p.s. Thanks for listening, to those that listened to the call.

-- I don't think you're far off the mark with your votes. And thanks for the coverage all year - you guys have been great to listen to either at the game or at home.

I was surprised Simpkin got the medal , he played well but his ball use was no where near as good as he can use it. No love for Wanganeen ?? - I thought he was tremendous off the half back flank.

I would have voted ..

3. Spangher
2. Wanganeen
1. Murphy

The VFL will be very different next year with Richmond and Coburg fielding teams along with another split alignment in the Western Bulldogs and Williamstown. Some less than competitive games in 2014.

A good judge mentioned to me that the team learnt an extra half a season's worth of footy education by playing in these 3 finals games.

Well done Stangers.

Kelly seems like another Stratton to me. Tough, honest 3rd tall defender who can provide a bit of rebound and play above his height.

Wanganeen looks so good on the back flank. Surprised it took so long to try. Wanganeen and the half back flank/back pocket should be synonymous.

Iles & Mirra should be on AFL lists next year. X.Murphy a smokey as well.

Grand Final, hard tackling - welcome back Handbags! We own the big ones.

Easily the best effort I have seen from BHH this year. Timing is everything. Effort being the key word. That was the best tackling effort I have seen all season. All got down low and invariably drove those diving squibs into the concrete at Jihad.

BOG for mine was Sam Isles. I had it between Sam and Cheney but Spank and Simpk were more than handy.

Langers is a revelation. He started as being an outside long running flanker. He is now inside, and a genuine hard nut. Agility and break away speed are slightly suspect but everything else is AFL class.

VFL is a hard gig. Really felt for Tom Gordon and Mitch O'Donnell. They have been two reliable soldiers and was understandable that they missed, but tough call. Ryan Exxon fell from the clouds but he was better suited to the fast track, smart selection.

Oz worked hard, his body looks shot. Copped and gave some big hits, if he is gone he went down swinging.

In one game Wang double his tackle count for the year! He has come miles this year, hats off to who ever helped in his development.

In one game Wang double his tackle count for the year! He has come miles this year, hats off to who ever helped in his development.

Carroll and Cam Bruce would be leading that particular charge regarding Wanganeen. Whatever we might think about Bruce's ill-fated tenure with Hawthorn as a player, he's been an unsung hero in terms of player development since he gave up playing.

Got to feel for Daniel Pratt, Tim Gordon & Mitch O'Donnell. Pratt struggled to look happy for the lads, Gordon was bawling. Did O'Donnell miss with injury? He was great in our last game.

Pratt is still the North Melbourne silly who took a dive to me. Don't watch Box Hill enough to have an emotional attachment to him.

Watched the first half on ABC iview last night (thx for the link). Cant wait to get home and watch the second. Been great so far. Well done lads.

Carroll and Cam Bruce would be leading that particular charge regarding Wanganeen. Whatever we might think about Bruce's ill-fated tenure with Hawthorn as a player, he's been an unsung hero in terms of player development since he gave up playing.
yeah development has been great this year,well done to all involved,and just on wanga,since moving to the backline he is like a different player,was useless as a forward but never beaten on the backline,well done wanga never seen a player turn it around so much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got to feel for Daniel Pratt, Tim Gordon & Mitch O'Donnell. Pratt struggled to look happy for the lads, Gordon was bawling. Did O'Donnell miss with injury? He was great in our last game.

Pratt & Gordon I can understand - harsh but it's a team sport and that's football .... O'Donnell was the one for mine - if he was fit he should have played ... was outstanding v Werribee . Having said that all three were instrumental in getting the Hawks there.

The game is set to be replayed 2am Wednesday on ABC 1 for those who want to relive the glory of Sunday!

I've followed BHH for 13 years and I rate that as our best victory ever!

WOW ....what a season , who would have thought !!!!
Well done to DC and the coaching staff ......BH is now a football club , not just a team of 22 we put on the park each week ...but a club!! DC must take credit for that .
Well done to Cam Bruce .....the young list has come on amazingly well ....well done Cam.
Pratty the captain ......he's been a mentor and enforcer for this young list , he could have pushed the point and played Sun but chose to do the right thing by the team .....the sign of a great leader and clubman ..
To Ossie ......he's the father figure for the Hawk boys coming down to play at BH .....All the boys love and respect him so much .....those who wondered why we picked him back up needed to see his influence at this level ....
To the players ....to a man the improvement was amazing ....weather it be Hawks boys or BH lads ......even the kids who were plucked to fill holes when injury struck mid year like Mitch O .
And to family , friends and supporters of these boys , well done for being there week in week out .....I know the club and players appreciated it .

And from me ........thank you to you ALL for what was a fantastic year of VFL footy .
Back to Back in 2014 .

GO STANGS !!!!

No he is not. Hallahan and Grimley are being left unsigned for trade purposes. The Hawks would like to keep both but also need collateral in trade dealings.
Finished watching the game last night. Based on both their GF efforts there is a bright future ahead of both these guys. Would have thought they would be regarded as more than 'sweeteners'. Interesting.

I was really impressed by the BH back 6. I've read with interest over the last few years the impressions of BH watchers of Litherland & Kelly & I was very impressed with both of them. They both play to the team structures, both aren't afraid to put their body on the line (admittedly, it's a Grand Final, so you'd expect them to), and as young defenders are looking the goods & could certainly cover at AFL level next year.

If I were Roos & Watters, I'd be making offers for Cheney & Spanger. Their workrate was exceptional.

Mirra, Iles, Murphy & Exxon were all good. I'd like to see a club take a punt on Iles. Richmond perhaps?

Very pleased with how well Anderson (he's my choice for sub this weekend), Langford, Hallahan & Duryea went. We need to hang on to these four. Grimley has a very important pre-season coming up, as has O'Brien (who looks impressive). Wanganeen chose a good game to play well in.

The future looks very promising. The groundwork for a dynasty has been laid. All us supporters can do is support (& sponsor).

The VFL will be very different next year with Richmond and Coburg fielding teams along with another split alignment in the Western Bulldogs and Williamstown. Some less than competitive games in 2014.

A good judge mentioned to me that the team learnt an extra half a season's worth of footy education by playing in these 3 finals games.

Well done Stangers.

You would have been very proud.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back