Savage + picks 18 & 19 for Macca + picks 24 & 59

Remove this Banner Ad

St Kilda has secured the services of Shane Savage plus the Hawks' first round selection (pick 17) in exchange for Ben McEvoy.

The 22-year-old Kiwi will be a valuable addition to St Kilda’s midfield as well as becoming an ambassador of the club’s increasing presence in New Zealand, having being born in Auckland.

Savage “I’m very grateful to the Saints for giving me this opportunity and I look forward to being a part of the club’s push back up the ladder,”

“I’m happy to be joining a club with such a proud tradition and can’t wait to start the 2014 pre-season in the red, white and black.”

Watters “Shane is an exciting player who brings pace and penetration to our midfield. At 22 he is approaching his prime and will add another dimension to our developing midfield group, we look forward to him embarking on a long career at St Kilda,”

“Ben is a person of great character and someone I hold in very high regard. On a number of levels this was an extremely tough decision for our list management committee. We wish him all the best for his time at Hawthorn.”

Pelchen “As it stands, we have now secured two first-round selections in the upcoming AFL National Draft as well as acquiring a promising young midfielder who has already served his football apprenticeship,”

“Shane’s career has continued to develop since arriving at Hawthorn as a 17 year old at the end of 2008 and we look forward to the added dimension he will bring to the Saints.”

Now I take no pleasure out of seeing McEvoy running around for Hawthorn for the next eight years.

But we got overs. Savage and a 1st Round pick? That opens so much possibility for us over the next few weeks, ensures the futures of Tom Hickey and Rhys Stanley (and eventually Lewis Pierce), and adds an important outside runner who is 22 years of age (an age bracket we sorely need).

... Ass.

Looks like Hickey and Stanley will be our ruck duo from now on. Do we need another ruckman just in case? Doesn't have to be a long term thing. Maybe not Jolly (can't jump anymore) but someone similar on the rookie list as insurance?

EDIT: Thinking about it a little bit, it seems like a bit of a * you Brisbane from the Hawks.

Macca is 4 years older than Longer, but Longer has the ability to become a much better player. Obviously 17 (will become 18 with Daisy compo) wouldn't be enough to secure him on their own, but a swap of picks (say hawks 2nd for brisbane 3rd) surely would have been enough to secure him?

When I heard it was a straight swap for Savage I thought wtf, but you got a decent pick aswell. I think Hawthorn won the trade quite handily, but you could of done worse I guess.

Reduces the pressure to complete a deal for Dal??? (and you can forget the dribble rumours about Rhys)

For all the criticism of what the Saints are up to, they have pulled off what looks to be a game changer.

Hickey gets a more appropriate role.

We start building some midfield depth in the right age bracket.

A first round pick helps the rebuild (given the ability of the current recruiters to spot AFL standard talent with picks outside the top 10).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For opposition posters coming to thread, you may think we're undervaluing McEvoy.

But this year, and last year, we have heavily discussed Macca's pros and cons.

While he's very good around the ground, has a HUGE tank, and is a strong mark, he has a number of noted weaknesses, particularly, the lack of pace, no leap, and not being "tall" for a modern ruckman. These combine to create a situation where he is simultaneously not winning hit-outs to get our mids first use of the ball, and almost incapable of "resting" up forward.

Early in the season, we had previously thrown around deals, such as Macca & 3 for 1 & 10/Bruce, so we're not exactly surprised that a trade has eventuated.

This doesn't mean we didn't love him, or aren't disapointed to see him go. I'll certainly still be cheering him on in Brown and Gold.

Interesting trade. I'll admit to not knowing too much about McEvoy. The trade continues Hawthorn's tradition of bringing in ruckmen from elsewhere (Everitt, Rehn, Salmon, Hale etc.) and developing midfielders then letting them go (Kennedy, McGlynn).

Difficult to judge who will get the better long term result. Savage got the 3 votes against you lot earlier in the year, and can be considered to be unlucky not to get a start ahead of Andersen (young with great upside) and Simpkin (instant impact from the sub vest).

Best of luck.

I don't get it? Did the big boy want out? Doesn't make sense to me and hopefully some of you guys can shed some light on this trade for me.

Seriously????

Big Boy is a STAR & will dominate at Hawthorn. Think Ottens to Geelong & then some. A top-10 pick who's taken up the typical 5 years of ruck-development time, who at 24 is now in his absolute prime.

Confused why Pelchen & co can be so stubborn on 29 yr old NDS for a likely pick in the 21-23 range, yet move on McEvoy to the reigning premiers no less, for pick 17 & best 25 fringe midfielder? Billy Longer to the Saints is the only reasonable answer...

My old man's gonna be gutted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back