Savage + picks 18 & 19 for Macca + picks 24 & 59

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't get it? Did the big boy want out? Doesn't make sense to me and hopefully some of you guys can shed some light on this trade for me.

I'd think the lure of immediate success got him over the line.

For opposition posters coming to thread, you may think we're undervaluing McEvoy.

But this year, and last year, we have heavily discussed Macca's pros and cons.

While he's very good around the ground, has a HUGE tank, and is a strong mark, he has a number of noted weaknesses, particularly, the lack of pace, no leap, and not being "tall" for a modern ruckman. These combine to create a situation where he is simultaneously not winning hit-outs to get our mids first use of the ball, and almost incapable of "resting" up forward.

Early in the season, we had previously thrown around deals, such as Macca & 3 for 1 & 10/Bruce, so we're not exactly surprised that a trade has eventuated.

This doesn't mean we didn't love him, or aren't disapointed to see him go. I'll certainly still be cheering him on in Brown and Gold.
I found it a bit surprising but after reading this I can sort of understand. Still think it is massive unders though. Must mean you guys rate hickey extremely highly?

Strange trade. I understand the notion behind it but isn't McEvoy one of your most respected mid 20 aged players?

For opposition posters coming to thread, you may think we're undervaluing McEvoy.

But this year, and last year, we have heavily discussed Macca's pros and cons.

While he's very good around the ground, has a HUGE tank, and is a strong mark, he has a number of noted weaknesses, particularly, the lack of pace, no leap, and not being "tall" for a modern ruckman. These combine to create a situation where he is simultaneously not winning hit-outs to get our mids first use of the ball, and almost incapable of "resting" up forward.

Early in the season, we had previously thrown around deals, such as Macca & 3 for 1 & 10/Bruce, so we're not exactly surprised that a trade has eventuated.

This doesn't mean we didn't love him, or aren't disapointed to see him go. I'll certainly still be cheering him on in Brown and Gold.

Spot on. Whilst proposed reductions to interchange rotations will be beneficial for Macca, we can't keep losing the centre taps and Hickey isn't suited to playing most of the game as a forward. We are exposed for a backup, but I would have thought someone like Jamar would suit - rather than paying overs to get one.

What the actual * guys. McEvoy is/will be a gun and is still only 24. Savage is a tidy footballer but isn't worth more than a mid-second rounder and 17 is a crap shoot. A late first rounder and mid second rounder for a gun young ruckman?

The mind boggles.

Trade makes sense for both sides.

McEvoy is a significant upgrade on Bailey for Hawthorn IMO. Having Hickey and McEvoy in the same side was not compatible for you.

Savage is a 22 year old AFL standard footballer with 50 games under his belt. Don't think he will ever be a star but has an interesting skill-set for a footballer.

First Round pick (probably 18) will still net you a good player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One major lesson learnt for AFL followers in the last 24 hours, the HUN never get their mail right..

Does that mean that Chopper may still be alive ?

Gotta admit, as a non Saints person, I'm stunned that you would trade McEvoy. I really rate him. I cannot see Longer having the same marking presence of Ben. But there you go, deals behind closed doors that surprise.

I think it shows how much they rate Lewie Pierce coming through, they may only have to use Rhys for 1 seaeon as pinch hitting ruck and then Pierce.
I know Pierce was really highly rated the Stingers.

Fell out of bed when I read this news 20 mins ago... I'm absolutely stoked! Savage & 17? Hawks paid overs IMO

Now get that band 2 Dal Santo Compo pick (22) & package that with our pick 21... Sell to the highest bidder for a pick in between 10-15

This will leave us with picks 3, 12(ish), 17.... Bring it on I say!

Macca's manager said that it was the Hawks who instigated the trade.

"You would think so (only a club in flag window the reason for lure)."

"The Saints wanted to head in a different direction, it probably made it a little bit easier for Ben."

Thinking Saints may package pick 3 and either second or pick 18 for possibly Longer and pick 7.
That would be stupid of them now they need the best talent available at pick 3, they shouldve did something with GWS if Big Boy was on the table for ages before they wanted Mumford, imo pick 3 & Big Boy for pick 1 & 9/19 (whatever GWS would've gave up)

I think it shows how much they rate Lewie Pierce coming through, they may only have to use Rhys for 1 seaeon as pinch hitting ruck and then Pierce.

Pierce progressed nicely, but he is just a kid - and we'll need another mature ruck (albeit possibly a backup rather than a #1 ruck).

It would make sense for us to snag Billy Longer, good tap ruck, can play forward i think he'd work in a better combo with Hickey then what Macca/Hickey worked.

the guy who rang sen at 6 30 and called the savage signing can give himself 3 votes. great trade hopefully this will open pandoras box for us to gain one or two more picks in top 20. thanks macca but sayonara. :D

The saints inner sanctum never seemed to rate mcenvoy as much as the rest of the public. I remember Goddard on footy classified a couple of years ago saying that they really needed a good ruckmen, I was surprised at that as I rated big boy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back