Worst stadium you have ever been to watch the footy and why?

Remove this Banner Ad

Excluding part time AFL grounds, worst I've been to Etihad. Place has no atmosphere, not sure what you call them but the walkways around the ground on all three levels surrounding the ground with food/beverage outlets are way to cramped (even during relatively small prices) and the price of food/drink at the place is ridiculous!

I've been to plenty of games with a crowd of 45,000 at Etihad which has got the place almost literally rocking.

I've been to plenty of games with a crowd of 45,000 at Etihad which has got the place almost literally rocking.

I've been to plenty of games at Etihad with a 20k or less crowd and there's heaps of room on the walkways and piss easy to get food or drink. If speedybundy is complaining about a lack of room then he must have only been there when it's been full or close to it. Which is probably no worse than the MCG when it's full either. At the GF last week I was struggling to move in some areas, it was gridlock.

Not sure if you are defending Ammii? But ive never been to the WACA
AAMI was serviceable. But not as bad as people make it out to be.
It would be a solid average stadium. Nothing done great, but nothing I done bad either. Just average across the board.

Imagine if the parking situation at AAMI was as ****ed as that around the MCG.
Imagine if the facilities were as bad as the SCG (Though, that one new stand about 5 years old is decent, the rest is s**t house)
Imagine if the ease of access to AAMI was as bad as that at the SCG. That is the most ****ed up exit plan I've seen in god knows how long. 50% of the stadium last time I went (Early 2012) being filtered out 1 gate? Talk about a bottleneck! 13,000 people trying to escape in one direction? Sheesh.

It may not be great at anything (Etihad viewing angles, SCG atmosphere, Gabba location etc.) But none of its aspects are s**t.

But when you add average onto average onto average onto average, it has no redeeming features unlike other stadiums in Australia.

AAMI was serviceable. But not as bad as people make it out to be.
It would be a solid average stadium. Nothing done great, but nothing I done bad either. Just average across the board.

Imagine if the parking situation at AAMI was as ****ed as that around the MCG.
Imagine if the facilities were as bad as the SCG (Though, that one new stand about 5 years old is decent, the rest is s**t house)
Imagine if the ease of access to AAMI was as bad as that at the SCG. That is the most ****ed up exit plan I've seen in god knows how long. 50% of the stadium last time I went (Early 2012) being filtered out 1 gate? Talk about a bottleneck! 13,000 people trying to escape in one direction? Sheesh.

It may not be great at anything (Etihad viewing angles, SCG atmosphere, Gabba location etc.) But none of its aspects are s**t.

But when you add average onto average onto average onto average, it has no redeeming features unlike other stadiums in Australia.

Of the current AFL grounds I've only been to the Gabba, Ammi, MCG, and Etihad so I can only compare between these. Ammi is clearly the worst...Watching footy at Adelaide oval is going to be so much better

Instead I'll do a ranking of all venues I've seen AFL matches at

1) MCG (by far)
2) Kardinia Park (great atmosphere and a pretty easy drive if you get early enough for parking)
3) GABBA (good view and a nice feel)
4) Etihad (I actually really like Etihad but there are a few blind spots and leaving on a tram can be a nightmare)
5) Subiaco (Not the best but not a s**t hole like some are saying and the surounding area is nice for some pubs and a kick of the footy)
6) Waverley Park (Carpark could be a nightmare but I lived in Wantirna South so it wasn't too bad)
7) Elizabeth Street Oval in Bendigo (Not great and the power went out mid way through the last quarter of a pre-season match)
8) Casey Oval (Again not great, always feels freezing with no cover and traffic is often gridlocked miles back)
9) Princes Park (Shithole, ugly, limited transportation and very few food options)

I've only been to MCG, Kardinia Park, Etihad and Subiaco and I would probably rate Ethihad as the worst in terms of actually watching the game. Probably the lack of light that comes in or something but it just doesn't seem as nice inside, kind of claustrophobic and there does seem to be a lot of blind spots. Have a bias towards KP as I'm from Geelong.

Worst: WACA (the only thing it had going for it was lights, which in 1990s Perth was a big deal).

Next worst: Subiaco Oval. My team plays there, I go there. It's that simple. I have a decent view and the surface is good but everything else about the ground is ****ed. In order to sit in Three Tier Stand and not have your knees cramped against the seat in front of you the maximum height you can be is about 4'8''.

3rd: Etihad Stadium. No real complaints, other than the surface quality and the inept stadium management who never know when to open/close the roof.

4th: MCG. No complaints, other than the commute from Perth.

Aside from the standard of footy being lower you legitimately have a better spectator experience at some of the WAFL venues in Perth than Subiaco Oval.

At least at the WACA you get a bit of leg room in the seats. I can't work out why the Inverarity Stand is built at such a weird angle, at the far end you almost have watch the game with your head turned at a 45 deg angle. And it's not as if the ground used to extend further out westward and has been brought in because it's still hard up against the road on that side.

You do realise that alot has changed up there since 07
is that now Metiron stadium now days? if so pretty basic, but very impressive. for all the open grassland around the stadium & open roads, the lack of car parking & public transport is terrible

(Log in to remove this ad.)

is that now Metiron stadium now days? if so pretty basic, but very impressive. for all the open grassland around the stadium & open roads, the lack of car parking & public transport is terrible

Lack of PT? So you missed the bus interchange set up right outside the ground that takes you to/from various parts of the Gold Coast. Metricon probably has one of the best match day PT set ups in the country.

I've been to plenty of games at Etihad with a 20k or less crowd and there's heaps of room on the walkways and piss easy to get food or drink. If speedybundy is complaining about a lack of room then he must have only been there when it's been full or close to it. Which is probably no worse than the MCG when it's full either. At the GF last week I was struggling to move in some areas, it was gridlock.

Melburnians: never say a bad word about the 'G, never say a good one about Etihad.

Even though Etihad has better viewing for more people, closer transport (for trains and trams), you don't freeze there for 70% of the games, and is a spacious and clearly signed and modern stadium. It is an awesome place to watch sport, even soccer. The MCG is as well, but people here just have such a one-eyed bias. At least Waverley deserved the criticism.

Lack of PT? So you missed the bus interchange set up right outside the ground that takes you to/from various parts of the Gold Coast. Metric in probably has one of the best match day PT set ups in the country.

Buses are a s**t way to move lots of people at once. They're slow (both to board and to move around) and don't have much capacity. That's why very very few stadiums use buses as the primary transport option.

There are two stadiums I do not like. I do not like the old Waverley Stadium and now I just do not like Ethihad Stadium!! To go to these stadiums in the middle of winter is something I do not want to do!

Buses are a s**t way to move lots of people at once. They're slow (both to board and to move around) and don't have much capacity. That's why very very few stadiums use buses as the primary transport option.
& they don't put enough buses any way, the lines are pathetic. It's quicker to walk the 5km ro where you where made to park the car !

& they don't put enough buses any way, the lines are pathetic. It's quicker to walk the 5km ro where you where made to park the car !
Brings back memories of Waverley at a big game,sitting on a bus as a teen going nowhere on Wellington rd in traffic gridlock,me and mate made the call to get off the bus and walk the last 5km,just made it before the bounce and beat the bus by a mile.what a joke that place was once they axed the train line extension.

Brings back memories of Waverley at a big game,sitting on a bus as a teen going nowhere on Wellington rd in traffic gridlock,me and mate made the call to get off the bus and walk the last 5km,just made it before the bounce and beat the bus by a mile.what a joke that place was once they axed the train line extension.
it does, i grew up near Glen Waverley, in the oldern days. at the end of the train line. for years the extension to the train line was promised going out to Rowville, but then ended up selling off the land for houses. the line ups to catch the buses to and from the ground was ridiculous, always over crowded busses & never enough of them. the better choice was always to drive, but it was like playing Russian roulette, to weather your car would make it out or not, due to the car park bog hole. we use to carry a snatch strap & always try to park near a 4wd, because on many occasions you would need a tow.

Melburnians: never say a bad word about the 'G, never say a good one about Etihad.

Even though Etihad has better viewing for more people, closer transport (for trains and trams), you don't freeze there for 70% of the games, and is a spacious and clearly signed and modern stadium. It is an awesome place to watch sport, even soccer. The MCG is as well, but people here just have such a one-eyed bias. At least Waverley deserved the criticism.

The problem with Etihad is the pricing. Levels 1 and 2 are fantastic, but most people can't sit there without paying a fortune. Thus most people who go sit up in the heavens, which isn't great, you're miles away from the action and looking down on the play.

The G which everybody is used to, you pay the standard price and it's generally first in, best dressed, you can go and sit I a great seat (depending on the game and crowd etc).

The Etihad pricing structure is a joke and if the G was the same and people had to sit up on the top level every week, they'd whinge about that too.

Just on that, if it's a big crowd, the top level at the G is bloody terrible - massively under resourced.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back