Rookie Pick #28 Welcome to Carlton ... Cameron Wood

Remove this Banner Ad

Tend to agree with posters suggesting he'll be good for the NB's and to that end giving our developing mids a good look at the ball in the VFL (plus he knows Mick's game plan).

Has played senior footy so knows what it's about should he come in at some point plus if he does get games in the senior team I'd suggest it will only be to cover injuries and wont be for too long.

If you look past the lack of success in senior ranks the pick still has some value in it.

It's not as though we pulled a Ben Hudson out of desperation.

We don't plan on providing too much entertainment for voyeurs. You should head over to the monkey enclosure on the Pies board. They are so excited about this, they have redecorated in excrement.

See what you mean just had a look at the pies board they are losing their bananas over this

Probably closer to the truth than we all think. I actually feel a bit sorry for Wood. Malthouse went out of his way to drop Wood whenever he could and basically re-invented Leigh Brown as a ruckman so he didn't have to play him. Wood probably had a good season in the VFL because for the first time he didn't have MM glaring at him 24x7. Don't mind Wood as a 3rd ruckman but bizarre to see him reunite with Malthouse.

Wood was younger then...Lets hope he has matured. Also understand that its a selection panel that picks a team.. Not just the coach.;)

Fair point, I guess it's understandable that people had a strong reaction to the decision, and it certainly did come from left field. I guess I just think that people could also think about the positives of the pick too, as well as the potential downsides. I also have looked at it from the perspective of someone who thinks this is a poor decision, and I can definitely see merit in their criticisms and understand where the doubt it coming from.

You can see the categories and reasoning starting to occur already. 95% of the board will close ranks and fire back at the opposition detractors at some point. As a moderator who likes to see discussion points develop, I was perversely looking forward to the initial reaction here as soon as the name popped up on my screen. :D

Very easy to ward this off as it is a rookie selection, nothing costly.

Let us never forget that Collingwood traded #14 for a ruckman who was taken at #18 three years earlier, who had averaged 12 hitouts, 6 disposals and had kicked 0 goals in 16 games.

Carlton picked up that same ruckman for #28 in a rookie draft, some 90 spots lower than the Pies took him, after he had a further 48 games and had averaged 12 disposals and 22 hitouts in his last two seasons, and followed with a decent year in the VFL. They don't get to hang s**t on us ... at least legitimately. They will, but it is easy to fend off.

I can see why you say that but there were at least one if not multiple better options out there who would have also provided better backup to Kreuzer/Warnock should injury have occurred. If we had to go this route I'd have taken Darren Jolly. Seriously, Jolly or Wood? Jolly may be pretty much done but at least his experience would have helped at the VFL level and he'd have offered something should he be required at AFL level. Wood offers nothing on the latter front.
I WOOD have taken Jolly over WOOD but WOOD he have played for a Rookies wage? I suspect we took WOOD because;

a) He's cheap coverage for Kreuz & 206​
b) Not much genuine Rookie Talent to draft & develop (in terms of Ruckmen)​
c) Mick knows what he'll get out of him, and he knows the Gameplan​

Having said that, he hardly gives me WOOD... :p

We don't plan on providing too much entertainment for voyeurs. You should head over to the monkey enclosure on the Pies board. They are so excited about this, they have redecorated in excrement.

Had a quick look at the thread on the Collingwood Board.
The way they are carrying on about this it's like we've used our first pick in the ND on him.
Idiots!

Would of preferred we went with Thorp over Wood. Does Wood have any behavioural problems that is known. Maybe having Thomas at the club will motivate him. So basically we got a mature aged ruckman for our VFL team. How much does a rookie make?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wood can do a job if the need arises. When considering our other draftees the selection makes some sense. We didn't get a ready to go KPF. We (collective amateur list managers) were prepared to accept Casboult/Rowe as back up ruckmen in a crisis, if we added forward depth. The bottom line is we did not add to our key position players, therefore if a ruck (or 2) went down as well as a key, we would be totally stuffed.
He is as good as any other insurance ruckman out there. No problem.

Footnote: We have to have a Free Agent KPP all but signed, sealed and delivered for next year given our drafting strategies....another Magpie anyone?

Ok so I have had time to calm down and come to grips with this selection.
FWIW my friend works for Williamstown and is a Carlton supporter too, and he is happy with this pick. He came 4th in their B&F and they made the prelims. BOG when they played Collingwood in the VFL against Witts and Jolly.

But seriously, he will only play if Kruze and Warnock are injured. Surely 2014 is the year Kruze plays all games.

Ok so I have had time to calm down and come to grips with this selection.
FWIW my friend works for Williamstown and is a Carlton supporter too, and he is happy with this pick. He came 4th in their B&F and they made the prelims. BOG when they played Collingwood in the VFL against Witts and Jolly.

But seriously, he will only play if Kruze and Warnock are injured. Surely 2014 is the year Kruze plays all games.

Phew. I could only find the top 3 in the B&F so was concerned.

Couldn't be any worse than Dylan Mclaren surely? :eek:
Or Ricky Mott for that matter.

Lindsay Smith and Cain Ackland in that mix.

Wood is better than all of those guys. Says something that we have shifted our parameters in an upwards direction.

Likely scenario: Mick enters the room, says to grab 'Cameron' (referring to Darcy), they all nod and give him a sly 'gotcha big M' wink, Mick leaves, recruiters assume Mick's love for ex-pies continues, go ahead and take 'Cameron' Wood...

Honest mistake, but I suppose both would merely be insurance...

Why is every non-carlton supporter post getting deleted? They arent that bad..

Some of them are nonsensical and some are flat our trolling. Relax, that's why team boards have moderators ... to make these decisions so the discussion doesn't degenerate.

You are right in that he is now a Carlton player and should be supported as such. We managed to support Cam Cloke for much of his stint, and Cain Ackland didn't really cop it when he arrived ... only after he started playing.

I do need to correct what you said about being early in his career. The very issue is that he had a career and seemingly failed at it. He wasn't even placed in Williamstown's B&F. The scepticism is understood, even if it comes across as mean spirited. Wood would know better than anybody that he hasn't excelled in 8 years of senior football and the onus is probably on him to shut the supporters up, rather than for them to unconditionally back a former Pies player who hasn't shown a lot. That said, when this dies down he is privy to the same protection against player slagging off as the others.

Sometimes you just have to let emotions play out a bit. He's yet to wear a jumper and it takes some getting used to for supporters to automatically embrace a player. Supporters probably remember Pagan bringing his mate Micky Martyn across just to nurse him to 300 games.

Ruck depth is important and I am glad we have a developed body in case things go pear shaped. It was completely out of the (navy) blue though and you have to wonder why we used our second rookie pick because I doubt anybody else was looking at him. I felt sorry for him at the Pies and think he really felt the weight of expectation given how he was a highly rated junior and Pies paid a premium for him.

An absolute minority of critics for these three. Every player has detractors but this is not close to comparable.

On a BigFooty level, Mick has just changed our name to Barbara, forced us to wear a name tag and sent us to Bay 13 to toughen up. :D

I agree Cam Wood probably suffered unduly because he cost us a first rounder (Jack Grimes I recall). Personally I admire any player who puts on the black and white jumper but in Wood's case, the vitriol was because he was given so many chances. His talent is without question, its his lazy attitude that annoyed Pie fans.
It's arguable that if he had applied himself we would never have bothered recruiting Jolly. Its also true that he never got an extended run in the seniors but even at VFL level he tended to lope around, do the minimum and that was it. He never imposed himself on a contest at VFL level which is why we tended to use him only as backup ie he never made it difficult for selectors to ignore him.

Hopefully he has grown up and I wish him the best, but logic suggests that he is going to be a Northern Blues player only.

Finally, given that Wood was brought in as insurance, why not just pick up Jolly? He also knows MM's game plan and would provide more of a ruck presence, even if he didn't play every week. Plus he could be an on-field mentor to Casboult, Rowe etc on the fine arts of ruck work.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back