Past #4: Liam Anthony - delisted by NM end '14 - 4th in 2016 Sandover Medal

Remove this Banner Ad

He filled a role for us at a time when we had no one else to do it. He might have well and truly be taken over at this point, and that's just a reality of AFL football. He might be retained purely for depth though.

He filled a role for us at a time when we had no one else to do it. He might have well and truly be taken over at this point, and that's just a reality of AFL football. He might be retained purely for depth though.

I'd say he will be on a list next year. We might move him on for a steak knives type deal to a cub who is lacking in his type. He could well be suited to a WA side as he always played good footy at Patersons.

Stats are skewed due to the sub rule... maybe we should distinguish games where he was subbed and or started as sub.... same goes for the others...

hey Twinkletoes or Only Forwards would it be possible to merge all my player reviews into one thread....Just figured I might take up a bit too much room on the board if I done individual reviews. If possible would you be able to have all the reviews in the OP?

Wellllllllllll, they can be in the one thread BUT the discussions would be all over the shop, given that they're in chronological order. I'll have a look at it tomorrow today after a good 3 hours sleep before work.

The alternative would be that we could merge all of the threads and delete all comments made prior, hence starting afresh.

Food for thought for you anyway r_f. You being the OP'er would be able to add additional reviews to the OP as each is completed.

Brilliant job btw. :thumbsu:

I'll have a look at it tomorrow today after a good 3 hours sleep before work.

Or they could go on the Player Watch board. If not there, then is that (sub-)Board still relevant?!

Maybe one (stickied) thread with links to each page on the main page?

I think he is an inside mid and we tried to turn him into a running link player and his disposal just wasnt up to it. As an inside mid he can rack up the possessions and always lays more tackles. As much as I see Jacobs improving, I think LA would have been better in that inside mid role in the 22 when Swallow went out.

#4 Liam Anthony

ANTHONY%20Liam.png

Summary
After a strong end to the 2012 season, Anthony faced a tough challenge to back that up and perform in his fifth year at the club. He played four of the first five matches, starting in the green vest in three of them, meaning he couldn’t get much continuity in his game. He failed to have an impact once coming onto the field, with his highest possession tally being 14, and that was after he came on for Majak Daw at quarter time in Round 4. Anthony went to the VFL, where he performed week in, week out, averaging a high number of possessions before earning a recall to the senior side in Round 13 against Fremantle. Back in his home state of Western Australia, Anthony again failed to impress, and was sent back to North Ballarat for the remainder of the season. Anthony showed good form, with 32 disposals, 15 marks and 2.2 against Sandringham a highlight of his season.

To regain selection into the North Melbourne senior side for 2014, Anthony needs to improve his pressure at the contests, and needs to add a defensive side to his game. His disposal, despite getting plenty of the ball, is also shaky at best. ‘LA’ may find himself at a club needing a ball-magnet capable of sneaking forward and hitting the scoreboard, otherwise he may be delisted and redrafted onto the rookie list, where he originally came from.

Quote:North midfielder Liam Anthony knows he’ll be in for a tough day at the office on Saturday when he steps out for North Ballarat against Werribee in the VFL.

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2013-07-27/a...-greenwood

Quote:Liam Anthony has grown tired of being in and out of the North Melbourne side and strongly believes he’s added the necessary elements to his game to ensure he stays in the 22.

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2013-06-22/a...term-plans

160413_injury_ih.jpg

276914-tlsgalleryportrait.jpg

I think the consensus here would be that Liam Anthony's papers are pretty much stamped, with an ill-advised contract extension the only thing keeping him on the list.

This fact seems to have eluded Matt Murnane: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...o-need-to-step-up-in-2014-20140201-31u86.html.

Really? A dime-a-dozen fringe mid likely to make a significant structural difference if he performs above expectations?

Have at it, fellas. For various reasons, I can see McMahon, Daw, McKenzie, Nahas, Garner, Wood, Currie, and even Tarrant and Hansen stepping up in ways that have more structural importance and overall impact than LA.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Read that this morning. Reeks of a bloke that has no real idea beyond a teams big names. They should get someone like Quayle to do stuff like this.

Shannon Watt.

In all seriouslyness, Ben Jacobs has a better chance of standing up than Anthony. If this tool had bothered to watch North at all last year he would have figured that LA has had his papers stamped.

Anthony shouldn't have been granted his extension, was very lucky but at least depth.

Writer of that piece has no idea regardless!

Whist it is a s**t article, I see little need to kick a bloke who is on the way out.

Has played more games in royal blue and white than I will and I reckon that would be pretty common on here.

Pity the bloke never really got back from being bulldozed by Cloke.

Has played more games in royal blue and white than I will and I reckon that would be pretty common on here.

Must mean he should be celebrated then....I guess?

Apply the same principle to all players and there is almost no discussion other than "he is the best player ever" etc.

Deserves respect yes, but also reality exists and he simply didn't make it as an AFL player. Nothing wrong with posters making light of that, it is a privileged existence while it lasts.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back