Past #4: Liam Anthony - delisted by NM end '14 - 4th in 2016 Sandover Medal

Remove this Banner Ad

We were likely thinking that we were in the position where we needed a maturish running player. When LA started with us we did not have another player capable of getting outside and racking up s**t loads of ball and his impact was immediate. Now we have a few he is becoming more and more expendable.

People have covered it in its entirety though. He's warming a spot until the likes of McKenzie, Garner and McDonald are ready. Nothing more, nothing less. I wonder if he knows it though.

Richo, bloody destroyed by injury.

Sad. A lot of talent but he's not kicking anybody currently in the team, out of it.

People have covered it in its entirety though. He's warming a spot until the likes of McKenzie, Garner and McDonald are ready. Nothing more, nothing less. I wonder if he knows it though.
You could add Jacobs to the list too. And I'd be pretty sure he is looking over his shoulder.

I wonder where Sierakowski sits in relation to LA? Does he not play the same position? Sierakowski is supposed to be a great kick, so it would make sense to give him a game or two in LA's spot to see if he can become that outside runner with better disposal. No point playing Sierra at half back - we have enough options there, and he isn't strong enough one on one for it anyway. It's wing or nothing for him, most likely.

MacMillan is better suited to a wing, I think we all agree on that. Looks more offensive, more dangerous.

Firrito - Thompson - Hine
McKenzie - Grima - McDonald
MacMillan - Ziebell - Atley

Should be the backline & the wings.

It's going to be an interesting end to the season.

We don't have many list cloggers that I can see, and those on the chopping block are still relatively young.

Richo is in alot of strife, but he's only a rookie.

Siera has dragged his career out of the fire it seems, and if he gets some games this year he could be saved.

Mabon is effectively gone imo, Currie is one of the best reserve rucks in the league, and Majak is a more than handy forward/ruck. Rookie a ruckman this year imo.

The club will want more space on the rookie list, so I'd say Max Warren will be gone as well.

Keys Snr will probably be offered up for trade. It's not ideal, as he's good depth, but it's either him or Ayden Kennedy at this stage, and I think most would agree where the upside is in that duo, with Spud getting older. Wilkins etc need another few years, and I'd like at least another year to have a look at Delaney Jnr.

We need at least three changes to the senior list, and I don't think it's healthy to bring in less than three senior listed draftees every year no matter your position (look at Collingwood, they have a high turnover).

List changes that I can see at this stage are: Mabon, Richardson (R), Speight (R), Warren (R).

There's literally one or two guys fighting for their lives at the moment, because we need to get rid of 2 more senior listed players at seasons end...........

If we weren't drafting McDonald, I'd say we would probably be looking to draft in our first 1st round Key defender since Lachie Hansen in 2006, given we are going McDonald, I'd say it's either a certainty our second round pick this year will be a key back, or 2014 we will be looking there first up.

I reckon Richo, Warren & Mabon are definites to be gone.

Speight too.

Kennedy over Delaney all day every day.

McGenniss and Wilkins get another year.

Go get Darcy Fort out of the draft.

What's your take on Max? I got the impression the club was happy with a slow cook with him, develop to a Scott McMahon type trajectory.

They probably are, but lets be honest, you need 3 kids coming onto the senior list every year, they need to ditch some guys that would be getting games at other clubs. The rookie list is pretty vital for the health of a side, and most would agree, you can tell which kids are going to make it off the rookie list within 3 years or so (talls aside).

He needs to be getting in the VFL bests regularly imo.............

What we may do is delist a couple of fringe players and rookie list them, if we think they are still worth persisting with. Depending on what happens for the rest of the year, Sierra may find himself in that position for example. But it's way too early to talk about that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's going to be an interesting end to the season.

We don't have many list cloggers that I can see, and those on the chopping block are still relatively young.

Richo is in alot of strife, but he's only a rookie.

Siera has dragged his career out of the fire it seems, and if he gets some games this year he could be saved.

Mabon is effectively gone imo, Currie is one of the best reserve rucks in the league, and Majak is a more than handy forward/ruck. Rookie a ruckman this year imo.

The club will want more space on the rookie list, so I'd say Max Warren will be gone as well.

Keys Snr will probably be offered up for trade. It's not ideal, as he's good depth, but it's either him or Ayden Kennedy at this stage, and I think most would agree where the upside is in that duo, with Spud getting older. Wilkins etc need another few years, and I'd like at least another year to have a look at Delaney Jnr.

We need at least three changes to the senior list, and I don't think it's healthy to bring in less than three senior listed draftees every year no matter your position (look at Collingwood, they have a high turnover).

List changes that I can see at this stage are: Mabon, Richardson (R), Speight (R), Warren (R).

There's literally one or two guys fighting for their lives at the moment, because we need to get rid of 2 more senior listed players at seasons end...........

If we weren't drafting McDonald, I'd say we would probably be looking to draft in our first 1st round Key defender since Lachie Hansen in 2006, given we are going McDonald, I'd say it's either a certainty our second round pick this year will be a key back, or 2014 we will be looking there first up.

No doubt Richo and Speight are gone. Were only saved by their contracts last year. I can't really comment on Warren or McGenniss but neither of them look all that promising from the games I've seen.

I think Mabon and Keys are done. Then it gets a bit tough. Levi is contracted for next year but may find himself on the rookie list; the bloke's 24 and we don't even need him as a tagging option anymore. Sierakowski wouldn't want to drop off. Gysberts would also want to be working hard because this is a guy who was about to be delisted by Melbourne. I think Hansen will end up on the trade table.

mabon will be kept, he was a project player that needs time still only 20 if i'm not mistaken?

richardson and speight gone, waren will stay, mcgennis also rest of rookie list gone....

We've got Currie, there's absolute 0% chance of Mabon making it at this club as a ruckman.

And we are discussing the chance of delisting a 24 year old FB that has 20 games under his belt, we aren't exactly going to turn him into a defender either.

talk of mabon going i don't quite understand the guy as bulked up massively over the last 2 seasons, big men are always hard to find..

I agree with those that Anthony should be developed as a tagger. I think he would be quite good at it and would run off his opponent.

Games: 5
Avg Disposals: 12.6
Goals: 1
Other Notable Stats: -

Review:
Such a disappointing year for the 25 year old. There is no doubt that Anthony can have an impact at senior level with his ability to find the football, but his decision making under pressure and defensive impact is largely the reason why he has been unsighted since round 13. Had a number of games as sub which weren't that impressive and despite getting his hands on the footy he was unable to make an impact. His link-up play and ability to find space is excellent but he doesn't hurt the opposition with his disposal. He has gone back to Nth Ballarat to work on his disposal and defensive side of his game. He has been ultra consistent in the VFL with a number of 30+ possession but there are still question marks over his long-term future. His defensive application and tackling has improved in the VFL along with his intensity, but its hard to know if he will show the same effort at AFL level. He is contracted for next year but will have to have a huge pre-season to force his way back into the best 22.

Highlight: 23 disposal game against Geelong in round 2
Lowlight: Largely ineffective 4 disposal game as sub against Hawthorn

Result: F

At a time LA and Gibbo were considered on par by some, but me reckons now theres so much distance between the 2 now you would need a Very Fast Train to commute it in a reasonable timeframe.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back