Pre Season 2014 (player news and updates)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you tell me the last time this happened at the Swans?

More than any other team we make younger players earn their spot and we don't drop premiership and leadership group players on the basis of a younger player having the 'ability' to do his job, if this was the case then Jude wouldn't have played last year Lamb would have played the whole season.

In the past we have not had the players who have been proven at AFL level or have come in and done the job, like Rampe. In the past our depth has been pretty ordinary but not now. You have to look at what we have now in our ranks not what has happened in the past. Last year we played Rampe all year, blooded Biggs (successfully) and Xav taste). We also drafted a new HB, Laidler to increase depth in this area and get AJ & Shaw back. For while we had the set backline of Mal, Mattner, Shaw, Smith, Grundy & Richards. Then AJ burst into the picture. We now have good backline depth; Mal, Laidler, Shaw, AJ, Rampe, T. Richards, Grundy, Smith, Biggs. We also have two KPB players who are learning the trade who look good prospects.

The difference between Jude and Shaw or Goodes is obvious, Jude had very little injury trouble. Neither Shaw or Goodes on last year's record are certain to play a whole season. The trying players started with AJ and forget the Roos era where players who were in were in, Longmire has proven he is willing to give a player who impresses a go.

The footy gods don't want us having 2-3 big forwards in one game.

It could've been Bradshaw and Reid but then Bradshaw broke down.
It could have been Reid and White but White was too busy not trying yet.
It could have been Tippett and Reid but Reid got injured during the first quarter they played together.
Now it's Tippett, Franklin and Reid but already Tippett won't be playing round one.

It looks like we might finally have two on the ground at the one time, though.

We've all spent the pre-season guessing how they're going to fit so many big forwards into the one team. Looks like injuries will sort the issue out for us.

Either way, I'm really looking forward to seeing what Reid can do with an elite forward in the same forward line.

In the past we have not had the players who have been proven at AFL level or have come in and done the job, like Rampe. In the past our depth has been pretty ordinary but not now. You have to look at what we have now in our ranks not what has happened in the past. Last year we played Rampe all year, blooded Biggs (successfully) and Xav taste). We also drafted a new HB, Laidler to increase depth in this area and get AJ & Shaw back. For while we had the set backline of Mal, Mattner, Shaw, Smith, Grundy & Richards. Then AJ burst into the picture. We now have good backline depth; Mal, Laidler, Shaw, AJ, Rampe, T. Richards, Grundy, Smith, Biggs. We also have two KPB players who are learning the trade who look good prospects.

The difference between Jude and Shaw or Goodes is obvious, Jude had very little injury trouble. Neither Shaw or Goodes on last year's record are certain to play a whole season. The trying players started with AJ and forget the Roos era where players who were in were in, Longmire has proven he is willing to give a player who impresses a go.

Good back line depth is fine but none of Biggs, Rampe or Laidler have the pizazz of Shaw. He may not have the sharpest disposal (mind you Rampe can't hit the side of a barn) but Shaw's run and carry is legendary. If he's fit he'll play.

Team is named for game V GWS - no Tippett or Franklin. or LRT, Pyke, Jetta, Goodes... who have I missed?

SYDNEY SWANS2. Ryce Shaw, 3. Jarrad McVeigh, 4. Daniel Hannebery, 5. Ryan O'Keefe, 6. Tom Mitchell, 7. Harry Cunningham, 9. Nick Malceski, 11. Jeremy Laidler, 12. Josh Kennedy, 13. Toby Nankervis, 14. Craig Bird, 15. Kieren Jack, 16. Gary Rohan, 18. Jordan Lockyer, 19. Tom Derickx, 20. Sam Reid, 21. Ben McGlynn, 22. Dean Towers, 24. Dane Rampe, 25. Ted Richards, 26. Luke Parker, 27. Daniel Robinson, 31. Harrison Marsh, 33. Brandon Jack, 35. Sam Naismith, 36. Aliir Aliir, 39. Heath Grundy, 40. Nick Smith, 44. Jake Lloyd.

Well if anything this will give us a good look at some new faces. I'm thinking we'll still want to play the core of our available senior players

Starting 18

Shaw, Rampe, Richards, Mal, Grundy, Smith
Macca, Hanners, JPK, Bird, McGlynn, Parker, Jack (Yes I am frothing over that midfield)
Reid, ROK, Rohan, Mitchell, Nankervis

Bench

Laidler, Cunningham, BJ (sub), Derickx

Still looks a good enough team on paper, if a little light on the forward line and inexperienced in the ruck. If Mummy plays he'll tear our rucks apart so we'll be looking for our mids to shark as much ball as possible. Will need to play them very tight at stoppages to contain the hitouts to advantage. Reid will get plenty of attention and will need good support from our crumbers. Needs to draw a couple of defenders and bring the ball to ground. ROK and Rohan will present alternative targets and I expect will drag down more marks. The mobility of Rohan and Cunningham/BJ can cause headaches for GWS. I expect Macca will also spend time forward and grab a few goals. Our back line suggests plenty of rebounding fast transitions from defence. How well we hit up targets will be a big factor.

Well if anything this will give us a good look at some new faces. I'm thinking we'll still want to play the core of our available senior players

Starting 18

Shaw, Rampe, Richards, Mal, Grundy, Smith
Macca, Hanners, JPK, Bird, McGlynn, Parker, Jack (Yes I am frothing over that midfield)
Reid, ROK, Rohan, Mitchell, Nankervis

Bench

Laidler, Cunningham, BJ (sub), Derickx

Still looks a good enough team on paper, if a little light on the forward line and inexperienced in the ruck. If Mummy plays he'll tear our rucks apart so we'll be looking for our mids to shark as much ball as possible. Will need to play them very tight at stoppages to contain the hitouts to advantage. Reid will get plenty of attention and will need good support from our crumbers. Needs to draw a couple of defenders and bring the ball to ground. ROK and Rohan will present alternative targets and I expect will drag down more marks. The mobility of Rohan and Cunningham/BJ can cause headaches for GWS. I expect Macca will also spend time forward and grab a few goals. Our back line suggests plenty of rebounding fast transitions from defence. How well we hit up targets will be a big factor.

It is NAB cup there are 26 players played not 22. There are 24 that can be interchanged at any time and 2 subs.

I'm not disputing that the kids are given a chance and that players have been given the opportunity to make an available position there own but again tell me when Longmire has replaced a proven player and member of the leadership group in the team with a younger player other than when injury has necessitated?

There is distinct difference in replacing when a position is available due to injury or other and actually replacing them in the team when the incumbent is fit and healthy.

It is NAB cup there are 26 players played not 22. There are 24 that can be interchanged at any time and 2 subs.

It's NAB Challenge these days. They realised the cup was becoming a bit of a joke.

I don't mind. It better reflects that this is really just a chance to tune up teams for the real thing. The more players we can get on the field the merrier. Gives us all the more to look at.

It's NAB Challenge these days. They realised the cup was becoming a bit of a joke.

I don't mind. It better reflects that this is really just a chance to tune up teams for the real thing. The more players we can get on the field the merrier. Gives us all the more to look at.

What's in a name
What's in as string of words
they scrap in old Verona with their swords
And never give a bloke a stray dogs chance
An' that's romance
But when they dish it out wiv bricks & boots
In Little Lons; They're low degraded brutes
(C J Dennis, The Play, Songs of the Sentimental Bloke)

I was mainly pointing out the numerical difference lol.

I'm not disputing that the kids are given a chance and that players have been given the opportunity to make an available position there own but again tell me when Longmire has replaced a proven player and member of the leadership group in the team with a younger player other than when injury has necessitated?

There is distinct difference in replacing when a position is available due to injury or other and actually replacing them in the team when the incumbent is fit and healthy.

Bird last year. He was fully fit and Longmire did not like his form so he got dropped. He fought hisway back but he had to do just that fight.

Bird last year. He was fully fit and Longmire did not like his form so he got dropped. He fought hisway back but he had to do just that fight.

If I remember correctly he had an injury interrupted pre-season but yes his early form was scratchy and had to fight his way back into the team. Notwithstanding that he is not what I classify as a senior player nor is he in the leadership group so I don't think highlighting Bird to support your argument on Shaw's status in the best 22 is not really in the same league.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I remember correctly he had an injury interrupted pre-season but yes his early form was scratchy and had to fight his way back into the team. Notwithstanding that he is not what I classify as a senior player nor is he in the leadership group so I don't think highlighting Bird to support your argument on Shaw's status in the best 22 is not really in the same league.

Bird is classified as a senior player. Only 9 players make up the leadership group. You are nit picking to extricate yourself from a situation Westie. Why is Bird a senior player? Only senior players have a mentor role and he is a mentor. I realise being in the West is difficult as news does take time to get there by pigeon LOL. let's face it you are so far behind with the federal election you are only now voting for the senate LOL.

I know I am being factious but he is seen at the club as a senior player. If a player is not a senior player at 25 then he was a late bloomer and Birdie was not that. It is Craig's sixth year in the side so do you still not see him as a senior player?

Bird is classified as a senior player. Only 9 players make up the leadership group. You are nit picking to extricate yourself from a situation Westie. Why is Bird a senior player? Only senior players have a mentor role and he is a mentor. I realise being in the West is difficult as news does take time to get there by pigeon LOL. let's face it you are so far behind with the federal election you are only now voting for the senate LOL.

I know I am being factious but he is seen at the club as a senior player. If a player is not a senior player at 25 then he was a late bloomer and Birdie was not that. It is Craig's sixth year in the side so do you still not see him as a senior player?

WA, 3hrs and 30 years behind the rest of the country I agree but I will always be a Sydney boy at heart having lived there for over 3/4 of my life.

I guess for me right or wrong I classify senior players as those in the top echelon of the list and most importantly the leadership group. We have a 9 member leadership group out of a list of what 46? That's like 22% of list that is in the leadership group, which is a significant portion of the total list and is a group chosen by its piers and is a group which Craig is not part of.

I actually have no doubt that he will make it eventually into this group, he is admired at the club and the coaching group but to date is not in that top echelon of the playing group. My argument is that I do not believe that highlighting Craig's plight last year supports in any way your original argument that Shaw's position in the team is under threat from a young up and coming player who is capable of playing his role and will take it because he is coming to the end of his career, this my friend is you trying to extricate yourself from a situation.

This of course is all just my opinion which I'm entitled to just as much as your are yours, I guess we just have to agree to disagree, if you think I'm nit picking then I can say the same thing about you trying to support your own opinion. :drunk:

What's in a name

I was mainly pointing out the numerical difference lol.

And I, that you if you're going to be a pedant you encourage others to be pedantic.

The correct quote from C.J.Dennis is

Wot's in a name ? Wot's in a string o' words ?

C.J. Dennis was famous for using vernacular verse in developing the slang idiom of 'The Bloke'. You can't correct his English in quotation.

If Tippett is still carrying knee problems, maybe playing him as 2nd ruck isn't the best idea. Might have to leave him at full forward and find someone else to play that role maybe LRT or maybe Untried rookie 1, or untried rookie 2. That depth!!;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back