Training Pre Season - Who's deadset training the house down 2024 style.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope. Just from watching him in the ressies. He is a decent contested mark and pretty mobile and likes to apply pressure.

So you have written off a big bloke who played one senior game when he had no pre season and came in via the MSD?

Tough call
You said you were amazed WCE never grabbed Buller. They are a team competing in the AFL not the minor league VFL which is where you have been watching him with you gaining the opinion he is a decent player. My opinion is after seeing him at AFL Level once at AFL level your amazement at West Coast's judgement or lack there of should be tempered. Sample size at the highest level has been near zero to be judged upon. Don't know what is so tough about that.

Apologies if you have been mistaken for one of the many on this board that have rose colored specs thinking every player on the list is a good AFL Footballer.

You said you were amazed WCE never grabbed Buller. They are a team competing in the AFL not the minor league VFL which is where you have been watching him with you gaining the opinion he is a decent player. My opinion is after seeing him at AFL Level once at AFL level your amazement at West Coast's judgement or lack there of should be tempered. Sample size at the highest level has been near zero to be judged upon. Don't know what is so tough about that.

Apologies if you have been mistaken for one of the many on this board that have rose colored specs thinking every player on the list is a good AFL Footballer.
I think your replying to the wrong post mate .
My post was that he MIGHT have a better upside than Amartey.

Last edited by a moderator:

I think your replying to the wrong post mate .
My post was that he MIGHT have a better upside than Amartey , i think your replying to someone i have on ignore
Yep my mistake. Don't know how you got dragged into that. Think I was about to reply to one of your posts and while doing so replied to another one. Must admit not a strength of mine this online caper. I Am more a reader these days but very hard to not respond to some very odd takes. Need to ween myself off.

Last edited:
Wolfgang West Buller was recruited in the MSD had a great first game in the 2s and then made his senior debut a matter of weeks later.

It gave him a taste and yes he had a tough debut. He won’t be the first or last Swan to have an ordinary debut but then have a decent career. McInerney had a solitary handpass on debut and some folk put a line through him. McLean copped plenty in his first years but came into his own imo last season.

The young bloke may or may not make it. At least he now has had the benefit of an AFL pre season and again what I saw suggested he is a decent player.

Wolfgang West Buller was recruited in the MSD had a great first game in the 2s and then made his senior debut a matter of weeks later.

It gave him a taste and yes he had a tough debut. He won’t be the first or last Swan to have an ordinary debut but then have a decent career. McInerney had a solitary handpass on debut and some folk put a line through him. McLean copped plenty in his first years but came into his own imo last season.

The young bloke may or may not make it. At least he now has had the benefit of an AFL pre season and again what I saw suggested he is a decent player.
Injuries pending, I think he'll play 3-4 games this year if his development continues. Interesting to see how he performs after his first real pre-season

Yep my mistake. Don't know how you got dragged into that. Think I was about to reply to one of your posts and while doing so replied to another one. Must admit not a strength of mine this online caper. I Am more a reader these days but very hard to not respond to some very odd takes. Need to ween myself off.
Please stay on your use of the English language is unique on here .

See this is why s**t fights start here. You completely misunderstood my original post. I was questioning if you gleaned Buller was a decent player based on one Senior AFL game around the fact you were doubting WCE judgement on not picking him up. The fact you have gathered your opinion on watching him play at a lower level and like what you saw does not mean he will be a decent AFL Player nor does it mean he won't on me watching him in one AFL Senior game. Using McInerney as an argument to support your narrative does not wash here with me because I certainly did not write him off after one game as I haven't with Buller. Typically like others though you have not understood the context of the post, continued to retort and added a couple of extra likes. Well done.

See this is why s**t fights start here. You completely misunderstood my original post. I was questioning if you gleaned Buller was a decent player based on one Senior AFL game around the fact you were doubting WCE judgement on not picking him up. The fact you have gathered your opinion on watching him play at a lower level and like what you saw does not mean he will be a decent AFL Player nor does it mean he won't on me watching him in one AFL Senior game. Using McInerney as an argument to support your narrative does not wash here with me because I certainly did not write him off after one game as I haven't with Buller. Typically like others though you have not understood the context of the post, continued to retort and added a couple of extra likes. Well done.

So if I misinterpreted you sobeit. Won’t be the first or last time I do that.

Yep my opinion that he is a decent player and prospect is based on performance at the lower level. Mind you I thought Hall-Kahan would make it and he did not (to date anyways).

Cameron was frustrating and always injured , he suits the Filth more than us , he's no world beater . The biggest mistake was not playing Nank in the 16 GF as he would have rag dolled Boyd

Never really had a good reason for not going with nank based on the form he showed in the back half of 2016.

If I recall correctly he was lined up with Harris Andrews. Nice initiation! Unsurprisingly he got pummeled. I think he'd go better now.

If I recall correctly he was lined up with Harris Andrews. Nice initiation! Unsurprisingly he got pummeled. I think he'd go better now.
Also kept Andrews out of the game that night with 5 touches to his 4. Andrew’s wasn’t able to play the intercepting defender. So Buller played his role. Not sure if he will make it. His first outing was a sign of the times that we needed to him to play 2 weeks after the MSD.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Please don't do that Wolf, I absolutely love your input!

As an aside (sorry Bedders I'm off topic), I have always wanted to ask if your user name is a homage to the great character from Outrageous Fortune?

Agree. I remember Chad was pretty quiet on debut and I may have said (ahem) that he was going to be a delist after his initial contract expired............

Back to Buller, I was there at the Gabba for his debut. He was marked by either Payne or Andrews that night with the former having a breakout season and the later, dual AA defender. I don't think there would be a tougher debut for a key forward, especially given that our midfield was soundly beaten that night. He struggled to get a touch but I liked his work off the ball. Can only get better.

I wasn't amazed West Coast didn't take Buller, more surprised.

They had a massive injury list, players like Darling who could barely run but were still being sent out, and they had the capacity to move a player like Liam Ryan to the LTI and create the list spot.

Meanwhile they were getting slaughtered nearly every week.

I think adding Buller, or Arnold, or even Naismith (or any mature player really) would have helped them last year.

If I was running West Coast, I would have been trying to get as many mature aged players onto the list as the list rules allowed.

I wasn't amazed West Coast didn't take Buller, more surprised.

They had a massive injury list, players like Darling who could barely run but were still being sent out, and they had the capacity to move a player like Liam Ryan to the LTI and create the list spot.

Meanwhile they were getting slaughtered nearly every week.

I think adding Buller, or Arnold, or even Naismith (or any mature player really) would have helped them last year.

If I was running West Coast, I would have been trying to get as many mature aged players onto the list as the list rules allowed.
In fairness to West Coast, they simply cannot afford to be focusing on any tall talent until they get something resembling a competitive midfield and transition game going.

In fairness to West Coast, they simply cannot afford to be focusing on any tall talent until they get something resembling a competitive midfield and transition game going.
The backend of last year they barely had a fit 22 to pick from and were getting slaughtered every week.

Their players needed help, any help, and I would have been trying to bring in as many mature age players as possible just for the short term.

I honestly think they are a bit delusional as a club about the situation they have found themselves in.

The backend of last year they barely had a fit 22 to pick from and were getting slaughtered every week.

Their players needed help, any help, and I would have been trying to bring in as many mature age players as possible just for the short term.

I honestly think they are a bit delusional as a club about the situation they have found themselves in.
Which no doubt explains why they have brought in Pyke to shake it up and sort things out.

This. About a week after last season's mid-season draft, Nic Naitanui announced his retirement. I think it was pretty obvious, even from afar, that Naitanui was almost certainly not going to play in 2023. And even if he was able to get out onto the park for the last round or two, it was going to make zilch difference to West Coast's prospects in 2023.

I think very few were surprised when he announced he wasn't even getting back.

There is no way known that West Coast wouldn't have known the situation in time to move NN to the inactive list for the rest of 2023. Maybe they had salary cap constraints that prevented them taking a second player in the MSD. That's plausible.

But it's also plausible that they were still under the delusion that their extensive injury list was just plain bad luck and had nothing to do with the age composition of the list and its injury history.

This. About a week after last season's mid-season draft, Nic Naitanui announced his retirement. I think it was pretty obvious, even from afar, that Naitanui was almost certainly not going to play in 2023. And even if he was able to get out onto the park for the last round or two, it was going to make zilch difference to West Coast's prospects in 2023.

I think very few were surprised when he announced he wasn't even getting back.

There is no way known that West Coast wouldn't have known the situation in time to move NN to the inactive list for the rest of 2023. Maybe they had salary cap constraints that prevented them taking a second player in the MSD. That's plausible.

But it's also plausible that they were still under the delusion that their extensive injury list was just plain bad luck and had nothing to do with the age composition of the list and its injury history.

IIRC they had moved Nic Nat to the LTI and it was Liam Ryan that 7-8 weeks away ... and could have easily been put out for the year.

Anyways, their stupidity/delusion was our gain.

Even if Buller and Arnold didn't have much of an impact in the seniors last year, they still helped us turn our season around adding to the Reserves and providing more depth to the seniors.

IIRC they had moved Nic Nat to the LTI and it was Liam Ryan that 7-8 weeks away ... and could have easily been put out for the year.

Anyways, their stupidity/delusion was our gain.

Even if Buller and Arnold didn't have much of an impact in the seniors last year, they still helped us turn our season around adding to the Reserves and providing more depth to the seniors.
This article states it was Jai Culley (their prior year mid season draftee) who was on the inactive list. It also has them defending their decision not to open up more spots in the draft, claiming that no one else was eligible. A week before NicNat announced his retirement...

This article states it was Jai Culley (their prior year mid season draftee) who was on the inactive list. It also has them defending their decision not to open up more spots in the draft, claiming that no one else was eligible. A week before NicNat announced his retirement...

So they could have added 3, that’s even worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back