Autopsy Started off 2024 in style terrific hard fought win against Melbourne by 22 points

Remove this Banner Ad

So much this. No ego and do what ever the coach asks of them. Team men through and through.

2 others in that mould imo are Lloyd and Rowbottom, really play the role asked and sometimes often face criticism from us fans

Nah.
I reckon having a few locks is ideal.
Means players like McCartin and Heeney are playing well
Peripheral players . Sure.

Yeah ok true, but I guess what I mean is you want everyone in the side on merit and form. No carrying struggling players be it form or health

I commented earlier about my perplexion at McDonald playing deepest forward. In this instance I guess it is possible they thought May might show more respect to McDonald than to Amartey, despite the fact that McDonald clearly didn't have the strength/body size to out-position May, while Amartey may (and only "may") have been able to jump from behind to contest marks.

Last night I fell asleep during the second quarter while watching a replay but woke up for the half time comments. The Fox panel was raving on about how May and Gawn were completely controlling the match (despite the fact that the Swans were ahead on the scoreboard). I confess that, watching live, I never got the impression May was dominating the whole backline (our forward line), despite being aware that he was clearly beating McDonald. I'll need to find the time to watch a replay of the second quarter at a time I'm less likely to doze off.

i didn't watch that halftime stuff but to me it's all part of the preconceptions of the vic media ... they'd have gone in thinking melbourne would win, so with the game close they'd look at those key areas they'd assumed melbourne would dominate
at no stage did gawn dominate grundy ... it was back and forth til halftime but grundy always looked more mobile and involved around stoppages, with his second efforts, etc
and yes, may would've looked in control in defence because it was not a night for key forwards to dominate, so both defences tended to look like they were winning their contests
in the commentary, that's where taylor is actually an accurate guide ... the longer the game went, and sydney stayed in it, then took charge, taylor started to lose interest and enthusiasm for the good things sydney did ...
he really does struggle to muster any real enthusiasm for the swans ... when we got on a roll and were playing the best football of the match, he lost interest

So much this. No ego and do what ever the coach asks of them. Team men through and through.
And most have come via the rookie draft. You probably couldn't build an entire premiership team via the rookie draft but I suspect it helps to have a few. They've not been the stars throughout their junior careers and have had to work ultra-hard to make it on to an AFL list. They've learned resilience, and they've learned to be adaptable.

Fox, Cunningham, McLean, Rampe, Wicks and Amartey (still WIPs), Melican (albeit injury curtailed), Papley (though he's truly transcended his ex-rookie status to be a star). Before them too many to mention in totality, but Kirk, Grundy and Jack are standouts. Even though two of those three elevated themselves to the status of club captain, B&F winner and All-Australian (and Grundy was fringe AA standard at his peak), they never lost sight of where they'd come from.

And maybe a large part of the reason why the Suns have struggled to be competitive is that they've been given so much top end talent that they haven't needed to rely on more workmanlike players prepared to do the hard grunt that is "beneath the stars". GWS started becoming more successful once they incorporated more worker bees into their side - the likes of Matt de Boer, Brent Daniels, Daniel Lloyd.

Last edited:
i didn't watch that halftime stuff but to me it's all part of the preconceptions of the vic media ... they'd have gone in thinking melbourne would win, so with the game close they'd look at those key areas they'd assumed melbourne would dominate
at no stage did gawn dominate grundy ... it was back and forth til halftime but grundy always looked more mobile and involved around stoppages, with his second efforts, etc
and yes, may would've looked in control in defence because it was not a night for key forwards to dominate, so both defences tended to look like they were winning their contests
in the commentary, that's where taylor is actually an accurate guide ... the longer the game went, and sydney stayed in it, then took charge, taylor started to lose interest and enthusiasm for the good things sydney did ...
he really does struggle to muster any real enthusiasm for the swans ... when we got on a roll and were playing the best football of the match, he lost interest
Sound off for me. Have not listened to Taylor for a long time.

I'd love to know Horse & co's thinking if they've decided to move away from having a Wicks type in the forward line. It would be a staggering approach to take considering 6 months ago we all watched Collingwood win a premiership built on forward pressure, with four smalls in their forward line. I could be wrong but in last night's game featuring two potential contenders, both sides had up to five smalls.

I understand we're going for a three tall set-up, and I'm a fan of this as I've made no secret of. (I'm with liz and others in not panicking because of a few games in conditions horribly unsuited to key forwards.)

But the three talls shouldn't come at the expense of any extra forward pressure. In fact the three talls will only work with the extra forward pressure. It just feels like we're going in the opposite direction to what footy in the current decade demands. Forward half pressure has to take priority over a rotating mid IMO.

Just my take.

I'd love to know Horse & co's thinking if they've decided to move away from having a Wicks type in the forward line. It would be a staggering approach to take considering 6 months ago we all watched Collingwood win a premiership built on forward pressure, with four smalls in their forward line. I could be wrong but in last night's game featuring two potential contenders, both sides had up to five smalls.

I understand we're going for a three tall set-up, and I'm a fan of this as I've made no secret of. (I'm with liz and others in not panicking because of a few games in conditions horribly unsuited to key forwards.)

But the three talls shouldn't come at the expense of any extra forward pressure. In fact the three talls will only work with the extra forward pressure. It just feels like we're going in the opposite direction to what footy in the current decade demands. Forward half pressure has to take priority over a rotating mid IMO.

Just my take.

I mean you pick your best structure and personnel but you have to take conditions and Oppo into account.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reality is out of our KPFs Amartey's shown the most ability to dominate a game so probably worth reeling it in for our sake

Yes he has. When Amartey is on he is difficult to stop. Good thing about Amartey and McLean as well is they are both solid set shots.

Oddly enough, they are very similar. Both a bit slow, both very good marks, both solid kicks, both can have very quiet periods but the next game can suddenly pop up with 3 or 4 goals.

Yes he has. When Amartey is on he is difficult to stop. Good thing about Amartey and McLean as well is they are both solid set shots.

Oddly enough, they are very similar. Both a bit slow, both very good marks, both solid kicks, both can have very quiet periods but the next game can suddenly pop up with 3 or 4 goals.
I saw somewhere that Amartey is the fastest player on the list over 20m.

JackHiscoxWasFast should be all over this. He likes fast players. I see chinks in his armor. He should be yelling us this information. He lets me down sometimes. I wish he was more thorough in his research and posted more often.

I saw somewhere that Amartey is the fastest player on the list over 20m.

JackHiscoxWasFast should be all over this. He likes fast players. I see chinks in his armor. He should be yelling us this information. He lets me down sometimes. I wish he was more thorough in his research and posted more often.
The depth of my analysis is no more insightful than the little kid who said his favourite player was Papley because he’s fast.

The depth of my analysis is no more insightful than the little kid who said his favourite player was Papley because he’s fast.

Check your inbox , Foxfooty have sent you a contract

When's Amartey been on?

Hawks ,Dons , Eagles and Tigers last year he had awesome quarters or even a half then went to sleep.

His flashes look great and all but gee.

Can't beat up bottom sides every week , the guy has all the talent, does he want it enough?

When's Amartey been on?

Hawks ,Dons , Eagles and Tigers last year he had awesome quarters or even a half then went to sleep.

His flashes look great and all but gee.

Can't beat up bottom sides every week , the guy has all the talent, does he want it enough?
I don't know the answer because don't know the right question.

Why does he not produce regularly? He has the talent. He has size. He has pace.

Truly an enigma.

Just my take.

I think the era of tall forwards has gone.

Football has 36 players within a kick of the ball occasionally 32. Tall forwards are necessary to create a contest for dump kicks. It’s the medium and small that can get up the field and back and then lead out.

Once the ball hits the ground as it does in about 90% of contests the tall players are a hindrance and the shorter ones dominant. The three tall set up has failed us again and again and arguably only worked when buddy was playing a free wheeling tall. 2014 was the nadir of a tall forward set up where Tippett buddy Goodes Reid were just too slow and we got burned.

Fox hayward and heeney if there can all play tall if isolated and can make a contest on the ground if they can’t.

McDonald and McLean is enough. And if one goes down amartey can come in.

I think the era of tall forwards has gone.

Football has 36 players within a kick of the ball occasionally 32. Tall forwards are necessary to create a contest for dump kicks. It’s the medium and small that can get up the field and back and then lead out.

Once the ball hits the ground as it does in about 90% of contests the tall players are a hindrance and the shorter ones dominant. The three tall set up has failed us again and again and arguably only worked when buddy was playing a free wheeling tall. 2014 was the nadir of a tall forward set up where Tippett buddy Goodes Reid were just too slow and we got burned.

Fox hayward and heeney if there can all play tall if isolated and can make a contest on the ground if they can’t.

McDonald and McLean is enough. And if one goes down amartey can come in.

👍

Just my take.
I think it's more two talls, with one on the bench.

IMO, Wicks comes down to a debate of him or Fox. And Fox probably got the nod because of Lever and May.

I wasn't watching closely to see what Fox was doing, but May seemed to play pretty well so maybe they will change it this week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back