Opinion What one other current player would you wish to have?

Remove this Banner Ad

Callipygian

Team Player
May 18, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
This is a bit of a fluff thread while we're waiting for the season proper to get going.

For me, in answering the classic question it's hard to go past Charlie Curnow and Marcus Bontempelli - but I'm going to - and I'm going to say Sam Taylor from GWS.

Mostly my selection of Taylor is on the basis of that is a role we need, whereas I have more confidence in our tall forwards (even without a big name recruit I reckon we'll do alright). Likewise, I know they say games are won and lost in the midfield but I'm prepared to back in the midfield we have. Defences are key to winning premierships and our backline is not currently one of the best handful in the competition - but it might be if we got Taylor.

Taylor is a perfect size (in the vicinity of 198 cm and 95 kg) and is just an incredible lockdown defender. He would complement our other players tremendously. We can rely on others rebound. Taylor is also a perfect age - still not 25 years old. I remember seeing Taylor at a pre-season match at the SCG pre-pandemic (might have been 2019). He was not yet much known and I thought he was really promising. I haven't stopped admiring him ever since.

Part 2: are there players on our list that you would not exchange to get the player you have nominated?

I'm unwilling to relinquish Errol. I'd have to think a fair bit about the Lizard. Pretty unique skillset. Still developing as a one-on-one defender. Impossible to replace. The other one I'd have to think long and hard about is Logan. Taylor is a far superior player but Logan is younger, and without Logan our forward line going forward looks a lot less powerful and star KPFs are even harder to get than star KPDs. If Logan got injured right now and we went into the next match without him I wouldn't be too bothered and I think we could cover him. But taking him out of our team long term would hurt a lot.

To conclude, I haven't put a lot of thought into this. I was mostly spurred by reading the 'best backlines in the competition' thread on the main board a few minutes ago. So maybe if I think more about it I'll rue my choice and change my mind. For now I'm interested to hear the thoughts of others.

I've always taken the business approach. How good is the player times the number of years you'll have him. So no Bontompelli for me. Gulden is the best value in the comp but we already have him. Next best? Probably Will Ashcroft. He'd do me just fine. Ugle-Hagen next pick.
The only player I wouldn't give up under any circumstances would be Errol. Lots of love for lots of the boys but.....

This is a bit of a fluff thread while we're waiting for the season proper to get going.

For me, in answering the classic question it's hard to go past Charlie Curnow and Marcus Bontempelli - but I'm going to - and I'm going to say Sam Taylor from GWS.

Mostly my selection of Taylor is on the basis of that is a role we need, whereas I have more confidence in our tall forwards (even without a big name recruit I reckon we'll do alright). Likewise, I know they say games are won and lost in the midfield but I'm prepared to back in the midfield we have. Defences are key to winning premierships and our backline is not currently one of the best handful in the competition - but it might be if we got Taylor.

Taylor is a perfect size (in the vicinity of 198 cm and 95 kg) and is just an incredible lockdown defender. He would complement our other players tremendously. We can rely on others rebound. Taylor is also a perfect age - still not 25 years old. I remember seeing Taylor at a pre-season match at the SCG pre-pandemic (might have been 2019). He was not yet much known and I thought he was really promising. I haven't stopped admiring him ever since.

Part 2: are there players on our list that you would not exchange to get the player you have nominated?

I'm unwilling to relinquish Errol. I'd have to think a fair bit about the Lizard. Pretty unique skillset. Still developing as a one-on-one defender. Impossible to replace. The other one I'd have to think long and hard about is Logan. Taylor is a far superior player but Logan is younger, and without Logan our forward line going forward looks a lot less powerful and star KPFs are even harder to get than star KPDs. If Logan got injured right now and we went into the next match without him I wouldn't be too bothered and I think we could cover him. But taking him out of our team long term would hurt a lot.

To conclude, I haven't put a lot of thought into this. I was mostly spurred by reading the 'best backlines in the competition' thread on the main board a few minutes ago. So maybe if I think more about it I'll rue my choice and change my mind. For now I'm interested to hear the thoughts of others.

I'd trade anyone on our list except Errol for Daicos.

Last edited:

Tom Green. Clearance beast

Nick Daicos, for anyone but Tom McCartin

Im a loyalist.. I love the art of drafting and developing
So, I dont want any other player that has already achieved greatness for another club.
eg... Loved Buddy, but he played half of his career and made a name for himself at Hawthorn. Loved JPK (fav player for 10 years) he came to the Swans very early and made his name at the Swans - A True Blood through and through.
So,, I wouldn't trade Gulden, Campbell, Logan, Warner, Blakey, Heeney, Mills, JMac, Florent, TMac, McLean, Amartey, Cunningham, Paps, Lloyd (love developing successful Rookies the most - finding diamonds in the rough), etc etc etc

In saying that would love to get Daicos - Hes a gun and it would piss off collingwood SOOOOOO much.

Jamarra would be right up there. Charlie Curnow, Larkey, Max King...

LDU would be good

Luke Jackson maybe

Nick Larkey or Sam Taylor for me

Jewelsbon I know Toby Pink is a KPD but we've already had our go with him and I'm ready to draw a line there.

Daicos does have youth on his side and he's brilliant. Can't say we couldn't use him but I'm happy with Errol and Chad and co. TBH, Tom Green is almost more tempting. I still am very suspicious about our not bidding on him in his draft year.

Will Ashcroft is promising but it's too soon to be sure.

Ben Ronke. Knows how to kick 7, and he’s fast. I like fast players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm with #Callipygian on this. Add Sam Taylor to our list and we would enter this year without a weakness. I'm confident our three prong forward line will work with support from Heeney, Papley and a few others. Our midfield in imo the equal of any, even without Mills and Parker. Taylor, McCartin and the Lizard would present an extremely capable defense.
I would not be prepared to lose Gulden, Blakey or McCartin.
It's all a moot point as GWS would not release Taylor for anyone.

Jeremy Cameron out of the goal square would be good

yeah, Sam Taylor popped into my head as soon as I read the title.

Noah Anderson.

Is about to emerge as the best player in the AFL.

On that basis, there aren’t many I wouldn’t be prepared to trade for him. Probably Errol, maybe Mills, maybe McCartin.

And Gus.

Darcy Moore. His ability to shut someone down and start a rebound is second to none

Hayden Young is going to be the best player of his draft (though I am a Jai Newcombe fan, even if he wasn't taken in that actual draft.)

Sam Taylor, first choice, no question.

after that it'd be one of Greene, Green, Moore, C Cameron.

In 2 years, I'm feeling fairly certain Jed Walter, Harley Reid and Colby McKercher are on this list

I would go with Harris Andrews. Meets a list need, exactly what we need down back to compliment Tmac. He is a bit older but primed for the threepeat journey we are about to start. He is super professional and a great leader, would add more value to the group than just his on field output.
In this fantasy I'm not trading anyone, he is out of contract and desperate to be part of our club and signs 3 years on minimum chips.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back