Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Out of bounds should be the 'last touch rule'

If the ball is touched or hits the post and goes in, it should be a goal/behind.
Totally agree with the last. Why should it matter if it touches the post? The only tricky one is if it rebounds into the field of play and doesn't go through. Point or OOB. Again, so what if it's touched.

212. Some players, get themselves injurred by doing just a little more than was necessary and putting themselves in danger.

Rohan did it regularly (IMHO).
I hope Sheldrick doesn’t go that route.

212. Some players, get themselves injurred by doing just a little more than was necessary and putting themselves in danger.

Rohan did it regularly (IMHO).
I hope Sheldrick doesn’t go that route.
It's more likely to be Errol. He already overdid it in the pre-season and they made him sit out half the pre-season games because of it. In addition to him getting the flu.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To leave Craig Bird out of the no.14 assessment results in a misleading analysis.

Kelly, Skilton, Mills …. Bird.

Unsurpassed.

say

browning
maxfield
bedford
papley
cazaly
ed barlow

Barry
Mcglynn
Gulden
Morwood

Richards
Round
Nash
Schuable

Parker
Wright
Hoffman
dempster
playfair

Bayes
roberts thompson
mccartin
rhys jones

I don't know whether to raise my eyebrows more at Nash or Playfair. 🤨
The Nash is Laurie Nash who at ~Tom Papley's size was named at CHF in the Swans Team of the Century.
He was also a former captain of the team and for good measure a Test cricketer and knocked backed a cushy job at home in WWII to enlist as a trooper and served in combat.

And of course it would be remiss not to mention his famous quote;
When asked who was the greatest footballer he had ever seen, Nash replied "I see him in the mirror every morning when I shave".

So I'm fairly sure you are thinking of someone else (wild guess Nick Daffy wore #3 for his one game after crossing from Richmond?). :)

I'm aware of who Laurie Nash is, and that is who I was raising my eyebrow about. Different reasons for raising my eyebrows in each case.

Nash because he is more than one generation removed from most of the other players listed. Nash played in the 30s whereas most of the others played in the 80s and after (Cazaly, Papley & Bedford excepted in #11 - I could have raised my eyebrow at Cazaly too).

With Playfair I raised my eyebrow for a totally different reason: because he is less celebrated than many of the other players on that list - I would call him a journeyman. Only played 16 games for us.

Why not list #2? - Vic Belcher, Herbie Matthews, Jim Caldwell, Fred Goldsmith, Teaser, Rhyce Shaw, Diesel, Schwassa - that's a hard number to beat. You've got premierships, Brownlows and captains in there.

I just did some random players off the top off my head to back up an opinion I put zero thought into. Literally just thinking what would be unpopular then went from there

14 isn't our best number

Skilton and Kelly and I guess Mills will be greats of the club

But other numbers have had more good players

37 and 23 are pretty unbeatable imo.

Max Gawn is a flog and is his own biggest fan.

Can't understand the media and fan love he gets. Comes across as an absolute bell-end to me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back