What changes would you make to the Swans Team of the Century?

Remove this Banner Ad

SydneyBlood

Team Captain
Mar 22, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
B: John Rantall, John Heriot, Vic Belcher
H/B: Bill Faul, Ron Clegg, Dennis Carroll
C: David Murphy, Greg Williams, Herb Matthews
H/F: Tony Morwood, Laurie Nash, Gerard Healy
F: Bob Pratt, Tony Lockett, Paul Kelly (VC)
Foll: Barry Round, Peter Bedford, Bob Skilton (Capt)
Inter: Bill Williams, Stevie Wright, Daryn Cresswell, Fred Goldsmith, Mark Bayes, Harry Clarke, Mark Tandy
Coach: Jack Bissett

Swans team of the century named in 2003. Who would you add to the team since then and who would be omitted? I checked as best I could and don't think it has been discussed for years in here.

Off the the top of my head and a quick check of games played list there are some certainties and others worthy of consideration ...

Buddy, Kennedy, O'Loughlin, McVeigh, Hanners, Parker, Bolton, Kirk, Jack, O'Keefe, Grundy, Richards, Barry, Smith, Shaw, Malceski, Rampe, Hall and others I'm sure I've left out.

Last edited:
B: John Rantall, John Heriot, Vic Belcher
H/B: Bill Faul, Ron Clegg, Dennis Carroll
C: David Murphy, Greg Williams, Herb Matthews
H/F: Tony Morwood, Laurie Nash, Gerard Healy
F: Bob Pratt, Tony Lockett, Paul Kelly (VC)
Foll: Barry Round, Peter Bedford, Bob Skilton (Capt)
Inter: Bill Williams, Stevie Wright, Daryn Cresswell, Fred Goldsmith, Mark Bayes, Harry Clarke, Mark Tandy
Coach: Jack Bissett

Swans team of the century named in 2003. Who would you add to the team since then and who would be omitted? I checked as best I could and don't think it has been discussed for years in here.

Off the the top of my head and a quick check of games played list there are some certainties and others worthy of consideration ...

Buddy, Kennedy, O'Loughlin, McVeigh, Hanners, Parker, Bolton, Kirk, Jack, O'Keefe, Grundy, Richards, Barry, Smith, Shaw, Malceski, Rampe, Hall and others I'm sure I've left out.
I’d probably put Paul Roos in as coach.

Completely changed the fortunes of the Sydney Swans Football Club & broke the longest premiership drought in history.

As for players - I’d consider Goodes to be the only absolute, irrefutable lock.

Jude Bolton is probably next in line.

And Nick Smith is, in my humble opinion, THE most underrated and often forgotten player I’ve seen. Hard to imagine a better small defender - I suspect that he’d feature heavily in discussions within the club.

I’d probably put Paul Roos in as coach.

Completely changed the fortunes of the Sydney Swans Football Club & broke the longest premiership drought in history.

As for players - I’d consider Goodes to be the only absolute, irrefutable lock.

Jude Bolton is probably next in line.

And Nick Smith is, in my humble opinion, THE most underrated and often forgotten player I’ve seen. Hard to imagine a better small defender - I suspect that he’d feature heavily in discussions within the club.
Both Roos and Longmire with a good shout for sure.

Goodes, Kennedy and Franklin are locks.

MOL would be up there as well, gets forgotten a little on these discussions.

Think a defender or two since 2003 gets in, you can argue that we had one of the greatest defensive teams of all time for a good 12-14 year period (both rebound and lockdown). My issue is who gets in?

Goodes, JPK and Buddy would be locks as a few have said above.

Please allow me to toss in a bolter - Craig Bolton. Think of all the guys he beat and beat well on a regular basis...Riewoldt, Fevola, Brown, Richo, Tredders - the list goes on...got stranded on 199 games after that tragic injury in the pre-season in 2010. Was just as effective on medium-smalls too, although they almost always gave him the oppo's key forward. An emergency in Brisbane's star-studded grand final teams too. Never, ever disgraced the jersey either. A worthy consideration at a minimum for mine.

Hard to say since I never seen a lot of those players play. Goodes without a shadow of doubt would get in that side, he is the best player I've seen play for us. Others would have solid cases like JPK, O'Loughlin, and Buddy, but I couldn't omit anyone from that Team of the Century... These four mentioned will be locks for the next Team of the Century when they name that... haha (I won't be alive for it)

Hard to say since I never seen a lot of those players play. Goodes without a shadow of doubt would get in that side, he is the best player I've seen play for us. Others would have solid cases like JPK, O'Loughlin, and Buddy, but I couldn't omit anyone from that Team of the Century... These four mentioned will be locks for the next Team of the Century when they name that... haha (I won't be alive for it)
That's it THE NEXT TOC

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back