Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey all, Just a quick question, do any of you on here do fullbody routines? And how often per week? I have been doing them for a while now (years on & off, just got back into it more last year and this year) I am currnetly doing 3 days a week but wondering if I would get better results going back to twice a week, more recovery etc.
At the moment my routines are..
5x5 Bench (95kg)
5x5 Squats (70kg, a little lower than I'd like but my knees are pretty s**t so I have to be careful)
5x5 Dumbell shoulder press (20kg, same as above, starting lower, dodgy shoulders)
5x5 dumbell curls (20kg)
5x5 Lat raise (20kg)

Now usually, well recently anyway I have been starting with a weight doing a week of 5x5, then the next week 6x5, then 7 then 8. After that I up the weight and start the cycle again, seems to have been working ok but I'm just wondering if I am better off doing this type of routine 3 times a week, or 2, or maybe cut it back to 3 sets, 3 times a week and throw in some bodyweight exercises at the end of each workout, push ups, dips chin ups etc. My main goals are just to build a little more muscle and drop a bit of fat, obviously diet etc is important but I'm more worried about getting the routines right first. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers.

Nothing wrong with full body routines, they are quite useful when you are getting back into the gym after a lay off or someone who has limited time to train. Stick with 3 times a week that should be a minimum, personally i think 2 times a week is not enough (as long as you get 48 hours rest between work outs you will be fine). With your work out, i would definitely add in deadlifts. Are you pressed for time with only doing 5 exercises?

If you like quick work outs, you could stick too the big compound lifts; (and these will hit the majority of your muscles)

Deadlifts
Squats
Bench press
Military press
Lat pulldown

You could throw in a bicep/tricep superset to finish off.

What i like to do is finishers sets at the end of my work out. Say my work out is chest/back, i will do all my exercises, then at the end will do a circuit "cardio" work out;

ab exercise
incline push up
ab excerise
decline push up
ab exercise
dumbell pull over

repeat 3-4 times with minimal rest

Hey all, Just a quick question, do any of you on here do fullbody routines? And how often per week? I have been doing them for a while now (years on & off, just got back into it more last year and this year) I am currnetly doing 3 days a week but wondering if I would get better results going back to twice a week, more recovery etc.
At the moment my routines are..
5x5 Bench (95kg)
5x5 Squats (70kg, a little lower than I'd like but my knees are pretty s**t so I have to be careful)
5x5 Dumbell shoulder press (20kg, same as above, starting lower, dodgy shoulders)
5x5 dumbell curls (20kg)
5x5 Lat raise (20kg)

Now usually, well recently anyway I have been starting with a weight doing a week of 5x5, then the next week 6x5, then 7 then 8. After that I up the weight and start the cycle again, seems to have been working ok but I'm just wondering if I am better off doing this type of routine 3 times a week, or 2, or maybe cut it back to 3 sets, 3 times a week and throw in some bodyweight exercises at the end of each workout, push ups, dips chin ups etc. My main goals are just to build a little more muscle and drop a bit of fat, obviously diet etc is important but I'm more worried about getting the routines right first. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers.

stay w/ 3/week if you're not gonna do any sprinting or jumping on your own but break the days up more

day 1 - squats, bench press, chin up, core + whatever
day 2 - deadlifts, military press, row, core + whatever

d3 you start again and do on

lat raises aren't a 5 x 5 exercise either and probably shouldn;t be done for anything less then 8 reps

Nothing wrong with full body routines, they are quite useful when you are getting back into the gym after a lay off or someone who has limited time to train. Stick with 3 times a week that should be a minimum, personally i think 2 times a week is not enough (as long as you get 48 hours rest between work outs you will be fine). With your work out, i would definitely add in deadlifts. Are you pressed for time with only doing 5 exercises?

If you like quick work outs, you could stick too the big compound lifts; (and these will hit the majority of your muscles)

Deadlifts
Squats
Bench press
Military press
Lat pulldown

You could throw in a bicep/tricep superset to finish off.

What i like to do is finishers sets at the end of my work out. Say my work out is chest/back, i will do all my exercises, then at the end will do a circuit "cardio" work out;

ab exercise
incline push up
ab excerise
decline push up
ab exercise
dumbell pull over

repeat 3-4 times with minimal rest

Cheers for the help mate. At the moment time is a little bit of an issue, I work full time and have 2 young kids so it's usually 7:30 or 8pm by the time I can get started. With the stuff I have at home I've just got a bench and some dumbells squashed in garage so space is also a bit of an issue, so apart from bench press I'm using dumbells for everything else, I've got a chin up bar so before I got back into weights I was doing basically full body weight routines but I found I wasn't really getting the results I was after so I got back into the weights, which worked well for me in the past. I think I might pull it back to 3 sets per exercise, 3 times a week and throw in some push ups, chins etc at the end and see how it goes.

personally I think squats and plyometrics being related are a load of s**t. Michael Jordan wouldn't have necessarily done squats to reach his 48" jump. There seems to be this hype surrounding the squat and jumping, but show me the evidence where an american basketballer has increased their already rediculous jumps through the use of squats.

you can't use one of the greatest athletes ever as an example, usain bolts gym training is terrible yet he's the fastest man ever...natural ability plays a huge part

mj wouldn't have squatted bugger all because he didn't have to, he could already jump high and the fact that bball players jump all day results in a plyometric dominance that is slewed way over to one side

us normals however aren't blessed with traits so we have to work at them which is where squats and/or plyo's come in

so if you have a 28" vert and have done nothing but jump training and you're stuck then how will more jumping make it higher when it isn't working already? it won't

vertical leap is all about how much force you can absorb (strength - squats) vs how much you can put out (plyo's) and you need to train them both to hit your full potential

so you'll need to assess your vert and see where you;re at to see what you need:

step 1 - measure standing vert

step 2 - test depth drop vert off a 12" box increasing the ht of the box 6" each jump until your depth drop vert falls below your standing vert

Step 3 - if you can depth jump higher then standing jump then you're plyometric dominant and will be best served getting stronger...if standing vert is higher then depth jump then focus on getting more explosive (plyo's)

in the gym there's nothing better then squats for vert as it trains the same muscles in the same action in the same joint angles in the same position

you can't use one of the greatest athletes ever as an example, usain bolts gym training is terrible yet he's the fastest man ever...natural ability plays a huge part

mj wouldn't have squatted bugger all because he didn't have to, he could already jump high and the fact that bball players jump all day results in a plyometric dominance that is slewed way over to one side

us normals however aren't blessed with traits so we have to work at them which is where squats and/or plyo's come in

so if you have a 28" vert and have done nothing but jump training and you're stuck then how will more jumping make it higher when it isn't working already? it won't

vertical leap is all about how much force you can absorb (strength - squats) vs how much you can put out (plyo's) and you need to train them both to hit your full potential

so you'll need to assess your vert and see where you;re at to see what you need:

step 1 - measure standing vert

step 2 - test depth drop vert off a 12" box increasing the ht of the box 6" each jump until your depth drop vert falls below your standing vert

Step 3 - if you can depth jump higher then standing jump then you're plyometric dominant and will be best served getting stronger...if standing vert is higher then depth jump then focus on getting more explosive (plyo's)

in the gym there's nothing better then squats for vert as it trains the same muscles in the same action in the same joint angles in the same position

I got my standing vertical leap up to 74cm before I ****ed up my ankle real bad, and never bothered to retry. I didn't do any squats at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

how do you squat at 6'8"? is it hard for you?

i'd probably get you into single leg stuff at that ht. it's bloody hard to stabilise a spine that's 3ft long
I'm 5'4 must have got me confused with someone else.

When I first squatted around about that time, I was struggling at 70kg. Now I do 100 mostly. I don't want to go too much heavier. I'm happy to stick at that, at my age. Is there a magic formula for jumping and squatting then?

Like weightlifting, I was told do 20% more on your squats than your C&J and no more is necessary. What I'm trying to say, is when does the increase in squats diminish with respect to the increase in plyo? Would doing 2X bw squats be as beneficial as 3X, not including the fact that going farther than 2X inreases the risk for injury, and is why you wouldn't see elite footy players going beyond 2.5X bodyweight.

roan squats? romanian deadlifts you mean?

yeah bulgarian split squats would probably be best but try some front squats as they might be alright for you...look back squats might be too but you just won't get to full depth but that's relative anyway...post a vid if you want and i can have a look

hey guys..
I've had a knee reco recently and as I've gotta be in the gym I figured I'd lose some weight and get back into lifting.. havnt really exercised since I did my knee playing footy 7 years ago and I was pretty fit and went to the gym 3 or 4 times a week..

been going to the gym for just over a month and have dropped 6 kilos and added a probably 3 or so kilos in muscle.. I've cleaned my diet up a heap and am eating all the right things.. I know I'm doing pretty well as it is but was wondering if there are any good suppliments anyone could recomend for burning fat and aiding muscle development?
I've probably got another 5 or so kilos of fat to lose to hit my goal

not yet mate, supp's are best used when you have no other option

I still don't understand the hype around pre workout drinks. I know a few guys that are on this stuff, and from what I know its just loaded with a shitload of caffeine. From what I understand Caffeine provides minimal benefit for lifting sessions, but more beneficial for endurance type work. Furthermore your body adapts to the levels of caffeine, and each workout requires more caffeine, until the point you can't take anymore in.

I've seen guys taking this gear, fall flat after a month. I could understand if you intended to take it once a cycle to push yourself to the limit on a blasting session, but not regularly. I think Ben Cousins fell victim to this when he was playing, he ended up overloading on caffeine.

I still don't understand the hype around pre workout drinks. I know a few guys that are on this stuff, and from what I know its just loaded with a shitload of caffeine. From what I understand Caffeine provides minimal benefit for lifting sessions, but more beneficial for endurance type work. Furthermore your body adapts to the levels of caffeine, and each workout requires more caffeine, until the point you can't take anymore in.
For me, as 3 of my 4 workouts are in the morning the pre-workout helps ensure I'm fully awake and focused, rather than still half asleep. Actual workout performance I don't expect to get a huge amount out of it.

I've seen guys taking this gear, fall flat after a month. I could understand if you intended to take it once a cycle to push yourself to the limit on a blasting session, but not regularly. I think Ben Cousins fell victim to this when he was playing, he ended up overloading on caffeine.

Caffeine pre lifting sessions has many benefits, it stimulates mTor, increases strengths n testosterone, protects glycogen stores & reduces DOM's.

200-400 mg seems to be the dose that's most researched to give the said effects.

If your sourcing your caffeine from coffee and experiencing any ill effects it's due to the poor quality of the coffee containing high levels myocitoxins , nothing to do with the caffeine.

Caffeine pre lifting sessions has many benefits, it stimulates mTor, increases strengths n testosterone, protects glycogen stores & reduces DOM's.

200-400 mg seems to be the dose that's most researched to give the said effects.

If your sourcing your caffeine from coffee and experiencing any ill effects it's due to the poor quality of the coffee containing high levels myocitoxins , nothing to do with the caffeine.

Yes, but you missed my point. The whole thing is that people taking it, run flat when the body gets used to the dosage, and you can no longer increase the dosage. If I was going to use it, like I said, I'd use it once a cycle, when I wanted to max the smash out my sets.

I saw probably the skinniest guy I've ever seen anywhere in the world, at the gym today. Good on him for getting in there.
Precicely.

I see a similar guy at my gym, He's got a good eye for hot girls at the gym, catch him eying them down lol. Sometimes he uses the machine bicep curl, with horrible technique, with one elbow coming up off the pads. I want to say something, but don't like to deal with complications. But Yeah, whether people are obese, or skinny, I have respect for them for wanting to be somebody. When I started out, I had 11" biceps, and could barely bench 50kg. @ 23YO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back