Joel Selwood: Really that great?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, contribute or don't reply. You're not swaying my opinion by abusing me.

I'm not abusing you.

You're the one with the clear minority opinion, you need to prove it. Not me nor any of the other 99% of the bigfooty posters in this thread that think the same.

So once again, don't be stupid.

No, you misunderstand. Ablett doesn't play that way anyway, the Suns gameplan existed to bring Ablett into the game as the main man and it has produced some exhilarating performances in some big losses. Now that the Suns are getting better, will Ablett change how he plays? Selwood may not get as many touches, but he will get a clearance to the right spot, or a knock to a team mate, or will get the overlap and create play for the team. It's why Geelong has a new generation of midfield kids who are still winning more than they are losing, because they are getting the reliable play from Selwood/Stokes/Johnson.
From all reports Ablett's professional approach has helped the GC youngsters no end. Just because Joel gets the hard ball doesn't mean Ablett doesn't get more hardball and wouldn't be preferred in all situations to Selwood IMO. It really is a subjective thing, so nothing I can say will sway your opinion of the "intangibles" of the game.
IMO Ablett is basically an energy ball - basically an improved version of Selwood. Whereas someone like Pendlebury is very different to Ablett, Selwood and Watson in that he doesn't bust through via energy, he is more like a Sam Mitchell who slows down time when he has the ball

It's an opinion, it's not a fact. Don't play condescending just because you've got nothing to actually say other than to call me stupid.

Once again - I wasn't abusing you. Your comment re: Supercoach is what my ire was directed at. It was stupid, hence all the replies/quotes you've since received arguing against you.

Your opinion is the clear minority. Why do I need to qualify it let alone argue it with you? The mere fact you're alone in this speaks for itself.

Once again - I wasn't abusing you. Your comment re: Supercoach is what my ire was directed at. It was stupid, hence all the replies/quotes you've since received arguing against you.

Your opinion is the clear minority. Why do I need to qualify it let alone argue it with you? The mere fact you're alone in this speaks for itself.
You're the only person who argued the supercoach post. Just you. People are allowed to disagree with my opinion but that doesn't make my opinion stupid, just that you don't agree with it. Selwood is absolutely brilliant and I think people like to sink the boots into him because he pisses them off so much with free kicks. His actual ability becomes secondary to the argument.

IMO Joel's "will" is overrated because of the way he plays the game. I see no evidence that he has any more "will" and will "stand up" in big games any more than Ablett, Pendlebury, Watson or any number of other elite players. Still rate him very highly though, just think that because he is more an in-and-under player this aspect is exaggerated.
Garbage. You haven't really seen Selwood play, have you?

You're the only person who argued the supercoach post. Just you. People are allowed to disagree with my opinion but that doesn't make my opinion stupid, just that you don't agree with it. Selwood is absolutely brilliant and I think people like to sink the boots into him because he pisses them off so much with free kicks. His actual ability becomes secondary to the argument.

If you go back a several pages you will see my post stating my belief that Selwood is at the very least in the top five midfielders in the competition, and that I wouldn't argue against him being rated as #2 (behind Ablett). I think he is simply an outstanding player, he's just not as good as Ablett who is clearly the greatest player I've ever seen.

I haven't once mentioned free kicks etc, and in fact derided one Essendon supporter for saying he cheapened the game due to ducking/whinging to umpires.

Like I said I took exception to your supercoach comment, it was as simple as that.

If you go back a several pages you will see my post stating my belief that Selwood is at the very least in the top five midfielders in the competition, and that I wouldn't argue against him being rated as #2 (behind Ablett). I think he is simply an outstanding player, he's just not as good as Ablett who is clearly the greatest player I've ever seen.

I haven't once mentioned free kicks etc, and in fact derided one Essendon supporter for saying he cheapened the game due to ducking/whinging to umpires.

Like I said I took exception to your supercoach comment, it was as simple as that.
I'm sure you'll get over it. In the meantime try not to care so much about words on the internet or something, calling people names isn't a productive way to live.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From a Hawthorn perspective, Re Pendlebury vs Selwood

When we play both teams , both players find a lot of the ball, but against Hawthorn Selwood hurts more, a lot more. Pendlebury always gets 30+ and usually bags a couple (swan and beams too) but it just doesn't seem to hurt.

And on that, Hawthorn V Geelong games always have ebbs and flows, periods where one team gets a run on etc. When Geelong gets a run on - ie 3rd quarter of the prelim, it is always Selwood that is getting a lot of the ball, 100% of the time.

Selwood is one of the players I always worry about, pendlebury seems to get his touch against us, but it generally doesn't appear to cut us up as much.

For a start, I know I'm 'wrong' with this one, but I am seriously just not getting it.

Every time I watch Joel Selwood play, whilst I acknowledge he's a great midfielder, I just don't get the sense that I'm watching one of the top handful of players in the league.

And yet he is consistently rated by every reputable source as one of the best in the game.

The Brownlow, MVP, AFL ratings, Players vote.... all support the idea that this guy is amongst the best going around.

I don't rate him anywhere near as high as I would Ablett (in a whole other place), Watson, Pendlebury etc.

I'm actually stunned that he's consistently rated above Sam Mitchell, the most criminally underrated midfielder of the last twenty years.

upload_2014-4-16_23-16-45.png

PHEW!!!

I read a stat where in the last few years Selwood has gotten 100 more frees than ANY OTHER player in the comp.

Take away his dozen frees a game and he is a good player, not a superstar like Ablett or Pendlebury. I just wish the umps would wake up and stop giving him so many frees for weak crap

I dare say it means the previous poster disagrees with me.

I seriously doubt said poster (or anyone else for that matter) is in any position to judge me on it though.
Yes of course, but I recommend you keep watching him, because you are missing out on one of the joys of this game.

I know many will think I'm mad but if I had the choice of Gold Coast taking Ablett or Selwood from Geelong, I would be more gutted to lose Selwood.
I wouldn't want anyone else leading our team, club, and midfield.
Not only he is a great leader but he came at the perfect time for Geelong. To have someone who can demand respect from senior 3 time premiership champions and inspire a large group of under 22 year olds is gold. We have very few players in that middle range but we have one of the very best. The way the young players speak about him and the club, I can see the culture passing through without being diminished at all. One man doesn't make a club but he is a huge part of Geelong's continuing success.
I know the OP isn't questioning his leadership but in terms of pure footballing, he reminds me a bit of Stevie J, whose toughness and work ethic is underrated due to his genius; Selwood's skill is overlooked because of his toughness. He is a seriously good footballer. And not resting on his already incredible resume.

Had it with Watson in last year's Dreamtime match too.

Pendlebury there was his round one effort v Hawthorn in 2012 (I think it was?), Ablett every week. Even had it with Dangerfield.

Agree though, haven't had it with Selwood or Cotchin yet.
Honest opinion, so fair call. But do yourself a favour and check out the game at the SCG in 2013.

The guy is obviously a great player. My only beef with Selwood is I get the shits every time he gets a free kick for too high. That's even if it's not a case of him "shrugging", or "ducking", or whatever you call it. He's simply done it too often that it provokes a visceral reaction from me every time it happens.

You're only hurting yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back