How good is Dayne Beams?

Remove this Banner Ad

the distributer

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Nov 5, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Is Dayne Beams the best player in the competition that no one is talking about?

The stats say yes.

While teammates Dane Swan and Scott Pendlebury receive the lion’s share of the plaudits, Beams sneaks under the commentators’ radar.

Since Round 1, 2012, Beams is one of just three players to have averaged in excess of 30 possessions and a goal a game.

The other two are dual Brownlow medallist Gary Ablett – widely regarded as the clear-cut best player in the game – and Swan, winner of the 2011 medal.
http://www.sen.com.au/display-article-2013/Silent-assassin/64788

I wouldn't say he's underrated due to playing for Collingwood, but he's a hell of a player, Sidebottom is all but a spec in his rear view mirror IMO.

• Banned
Very good player who can kick a goal up forward, but probably isn't damaging enough through the middle of the ground as of yet to be compared with the absolute best GAblett/Pendlebury etc. Definitely has to be in top 15 or 20 midfielders going around.
Agreed.

• Banned
He doesn't dance around opponents like Pendles, he doesn't burst away from packs like Swan, he doesn't celebrate a goal at all, doesn't even smile, he just does what he does, he doesn't have a weakness in his game IMO, he'll demolish most mids in marking duals, he runs his ass off both ways, pretty good kick, never tries to do to much with it, hasn't even peaked yet either.

Haven't seen much of him, but he has the ability to change games through his impact and has awesome goal sense.

Pendles, Swan, Beams, Sidebottom.. not fair that Collingwood is stocked so well with midfield options while we barely have a midfield at all :p

Gets left alone by taggers because swan and pendles are in the team and they get most of the attention. Just a good all round player who does everything well. I am shocked at how well he has developed. I actually think he is more damaging playing on a flank than in the middle, like Chapman

Hey is a jet, and I'm slightly worried what he's going to be like when he finally clicks into gear. Look the frig out!

Top 5 player IMO (with Ablett, Pendlebury, Selwood and Steve Johnson ahead of him). Doesn't really have a weakness - tackles, spreads, wins the hard ball, has a big body, has a turn of pace when needed, works hard, can take a mark, and kicks goals, all with a minimum of fuss. So much 'hurt factor'.

Last edited:
Top 5 player IMO (with Ablett, Pendlebury, Selwood and Steve Johnson ahead of him). Doesn't really have a weakness - tackles, spreads, wins the hard ball, has a big body, has a turn of pace when needed, works hard, can take a mark, and kicks goals, all with a minimum of fuss. So much 'hurt factor'.

Would agree with this, think he is very close to top 5 as opposed to top 15-20.
Dayne IMO is one of those players that cant be kept quiet all game, he is an inside player that can and does hit the scoreboard

Very good footballer.

Can find the football with a regularity that very few of his peers can match. Can win it both on the inside and the outside and he loves to push forward and impact the scoreboard.

I tend to think he's somewhat underrated because of the more 'popular' players surrounding him. Which is a shame, really, because he's an absolute jet.

The comparison with Sidebottom isn't a good one. Miles apart in quality.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As one of the other threads said - Coll's top end is good but there is very little talent after that, hence all the rookies and journeymen. Good sides will find them out, as we have already seen.

As one of the other threads said - Coll's top end is good but there is very little talent after that, hence all the rookies and journeymen. Good sides will find them out, as we have already seen.

Yep, its a mini rebuild from within the eight. Journeymen (not that we have many of them playing seniors, I really can only name Young) are filling some gaps while the new generation develop. We could win the flag this year (as we did in 2010, progesseively making veterans redundant during the year and promoting youngsters from the VFL side) but 2015 and beyond is a more likely timeframe.

Last edited:
Overrated.

Would be interested to see how he went with a hard tag every game. Behind Pendlebury and Swan which means he gets a lot less attention.

Overrated.

Would be interested to see how he went with a hard tag every game. Behind Pendlebury and Swan which means he gets a lot less attention.

Ahh the old "hes only good because his teammates are good" line. What a relaible old chestnut.

In fact he was asked to take on greater responsibility in 2012 when we suffered injuries to key midfielders and he ended up All Australian. But dont let the facts get in the way.

Overrated.

He was tagged for the 2nd half of 2012 in most games, absolutely broke the shackles on some decent taggers in BOG performances. Has been underrated for quite some time, never really got the same plaudits as Dangerfield, Cotchin and Fyfe although I think he has shown more consistently than the last 2. Hell, I was arguing in preseason that he was better than Mundy and got shot down. He still is Collingwoods 3rd mid but I believe is in the top 10-15 players in the comp since 2012 (when not injured).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back